DL Newton puts Miami in top 5, plans July visit

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Earlier this week, 2020 Clearwater Central Catholic (FL) 3-star DL Jerzhan Newton released a top 5 that included the Canes, along with Florida State, Maryland, Kansas State, and USF. UM’s reputation for producing quality defensive linemen over the years was part of the reason why he felt comfortable putting the Canes in his top group.

“It’s a nice program of course, it’s a good school for a D-Lineman to go to the NFL, and coach (Todd) Stroud is a nice guy and he’s cool,” Newton said of Miami. “So I do really like them.”

Since his UM offer came through in late April after Stroud watched him practice, Newton has slowly been developing a relationship with UM’s D-Line coach. Part of Newton’s Miami connection comes courtesy of his head coach, former Hurricanes’ long snapper Chris Harvey, who played with the team from 1999-2003 and was the starting LS each of his 4 eligible seasons at UM. Harvey has spent the past 3 seasons leading Clearwater Central Catholic, amassing a 32-4 record in that time, and is friendly with Stroud.

“I probably talk with him about once a week or once every other week,” Newton said of Stroud. “I mean, I could say we’re close, he knows me well and he’s good friends with my head coach, so that makes the connection better. I want to go down there and spend time with him and get to know him even better.”

Although he won’t be able to attend Paradise Camp this weekend, Newton does plan to make a visit to Coral Gables after the dead period ends on July 24th.

“I have my Maryland official this weekend, but I’ll be down there for an unofficial in late July though,” Newton said. “Coach Stroud really just wants me to get down there to meet the rest of the coaching staff.”

At 6-3 250 pounds, Newton plays both defensive end and defensive tackle in high school, but says Stroud is not pegging him into one spot just yet if he were to come to Miami.

“We don’t talk much about the defense, but then again, I already know a lot about it,” Newton said. “I like that they’re physical and everybody brings energy. They always looking for a turnover to celebrate with the chain. So, I just like the energy they bring to the field.”

A decision could be coming up for Newton over the summer, but he’s in no rush to choose if the right school is still unclear.

“I’ll commit either on my birthday, August 31, or if I’m not ready, then it’ll be signing day in December.”

Advertisement
No shade; but who’s not criminally underrated & a “steal” when we look at a 3 star prospect?

Players that we don't expect to commit to us.

in state 3 star that is likely to commit to us=underrated gem who would be a 6 star if they lived in another state.
OOS 3 star that is likely to commit to us=underated gem who would be a 5 star, but they are getting pulled down because of their lack of in state competition.
In state 5 star that is not likely to commit to us=overated diva who is a locker room cancer and would be a 2 star if they werent getting offers from Bama, UGA, and Clemson.
OOS 5 star that is not likely to commit to us=overated diva who is a locker room cancer and would be a 2 star if they played HS ball in Florida.

Advertisement

in state 3 star that is likely to commit to us=underrated gem who would be a 6 star if they lived in another state.
OOS 3 star that is likely to commit to us=underated gem who would be a 5 star, but they are getting pulled down because of their lack of in state competition.
In state 5 star that is not likely to commit to us=overated diva who is a locker room cancer and would be a 2 star if they werent getting offers from Bama, UGA, and Clemson.
OOS 5 star that is not likely to commit to us=overated diva who is a locker room cancer and would be a 2 star if they played HS ball in Florida.

1000% facts.

Ugly trend since Shannon’s tenure. We had The Randy Specials, The Golden Specials, The Richt Specials, and I hope we’re not entering The Manny Specials.

Everyone is criminally underrated, a steal, or my favorite, “trust the coaches evals.” Lol. And ppl wonder why we’ve only won 10 games, once, in 15 yrs.

1000% facts.

Ugly trend since Shannon’s tenure. We had The Randy Specials, The Golden Specials, The Richt Specials, and I hope we’re not entering The Manny Specials.

Everyone is criminally underrated, a steal, or my favorite, “trust the coaches evals.” Lol. And ppl wonder why we’ve only won 10 games, once, in 15 yrs.

People don't want to admit it, but we need to recruit with the best if we want to compete with the best. These "specials" 99.9% of the time are kids just not good enough to be ranked higher.

People don't want to admit it, but we need to recruit with the best if we want to compete with the best. These "specials" 99.9% of the time are kids just not good enough to be ranked higher.

And what I love the most is the argument of "look how many 2 star and 3 star players were drafted" to justify what our specials. LOL. Well, maybe b/c it's more 2 star and 3 star players than blue chips; that's why the highly rated kids are called BLUE CHIPS. lol. Furthermore, these 2 stars and 3stars that are being drafted are coming from schools that ain't competing for national championships. If we had a roster sprinkled w/ those guys (like during the Davis years) that would be different, not a roster full of them.

The fact is, the Clemson's, Bama's, OSU's, UGA's, FSU's, ND's, OU's etc are the guys who are recruiting at a high level, and that has corresponded to them vying for National Championships, NY6 Bowls, and CFP appearances. The other fact, and elephant in the room, is our evaluations have been way off since Butch has left. We had left w/ guys who had no business being here and it's f'd up our quality of depth and training of the pups

Advertisement
And what I love the most is the argument of "look how many 2 star and 3 star players were drafted" to justify what our specials. LOL. Well, maybe b/c it's more 2 star and 3 star players than blue chips; that's why the highly rated kids are called BLUE CHIPS. lol. Furthermore, these 2 stars and 3stars that are being drafted are coming from schools that ain't competing for national championships. If we had a roster sprinkled w/ those guys (like during the Davis years) that would be different, not a roster full of them.

The fact is, the Clemson's, Bama's, OSU's, UGA's, FSU's, ND's, OU's etc are the guys who are recruiting at a high level, and that has corresponded to them vying for National Championships, NY6 Bowls, and CFP appearances. The other fact, and elephant in the room, is our evaluations have been way off since Butch has left. We had left w/ guys who had no business being here and it's f'd up our quality of depth and training of the pups

Facts bro. FAU and FIU are made up of mainly Florida 3 stars and look how they do against the elite squads. They gotta look at the percents. Most 5 stars end up in the league. A good amount of 4 stars end up in the league. Very small percentage of others make it into the league. Like you said there is just more of them so obviously some of them are getting drafted.

That is very true bro. Our evals have not been good at all. If we had someone like Paul Chryst on staff I could see us finding the "specials", but our coaches are not finding these guys like Paul does.

1000% facts.

Lmao this makes me laugh because even though we’ve had awful season winning...

We’ve still been a NFL pipeline because these “specials” have been talented enough to play in the league

We just need coaches to be able to maximize the talent because we have always had 10 win a season talent every single year

1000% facts.

So let's hold the 5* at gunpoint and make em sign with 7 win UM...Gotcha

Advertisement

I call it the CIS effect

Lmao this makes me laugh because even though we’ve had awful season winning...

We’ve still been a NFL pipeline because these “specials” have been talented enough to play in the league

We just need coaches to be able to maximize the talent because we have always had 10 win a season talent every single year

Question bro, Who were the “specials” that went to the NFL? I’m not talking about some our 3 star guys, b/c most of our 3 star recruits were offered by big time programs.

Yes, we’ve produced NFL caliber players, but if anything, we’ve under developed the talent we’ve had, to your point.

But regardless, I’m just curious to the guys who were considered specials, that actually made it to the NFL. Maybe I’m missing some guys. I joined in 13, so I’m not sure what or who this board considered Specials.

Advertisement
Question bro, Who were the “specials” that went to the NFL? I’m not talking about some our 3 star guys, b/c most of our 3 star recruits were offered by big time programs.

Yes, we’ve produced NFL caliber players, but if anything, we’ve under developed the talent we’ve had, to your point.

But regardless, I’m just curious to the guys who were considered specials, that actually made it to the NFL. Maybe I’m missing some guys. I joined in 13, so I’m not sure what or who this board considered Specials.

Who bugged you enough?

and many people will point to some of those 3 star players as “specials”

A lot of people weren’t high on redwines, MJs of the world... **** I think Herndon was a 3 star TE golden special he pulled from Georgia...

Who bugged you enough?

and many people will point to some of those 3 star players as “specials”

A lot of people weren’t high on redwines, MJs of the world... **** I think Herndon was a 3 star TE golden special he pulled from Georgia...

Maybe I’m mistaken, but I thought fans were yelling for Redwine to get offered. Couldn’t remember anything bad about Herndon, but yes MJ was definitely moaned bout.

Maybe I’m mistaken, but I thought fans were yelling for Redwine to get offered. Couldn’t remember anything bad about Herndon, but yes MJ was definitely moaned bout.

I think the only one yelling for red wine to get an offer at the time was his own buddy JJ who believed in him

Advertisement
Back