DL Daylen Russell commits to Miami

Did you know I coach high school ball in South Florida an literally had to break down his film against homestead maybe 3 weeks ago

I'm sure in my post I Clearly said Center. As in offense, nothing on dt. So not sure why it's brought up.

Also I played offensive tackle In college I know a Lil about line play.
If this kid is not playing 3t he needs to be processed by tomorrow. He has a chance as a 3 t here nothing else...definitely not edge which is what he mostly plays at columbus
... He is very obviously a 3t to me.

Advertisement
First of all, he was Dade County Defensive Player of The Year as a junior. Let that marinade in your skull for a minute. Think about all the defensive players that came out of Dade last year.

I don't understand how fans continue to use their "expertise" to analyze high school kids 17-18 years old.

They can't even tell you what their own kids will develop into as adults, but somehow they know what a high school football player will develop into. That would be the same as me looking at your kid's grades and saying, "That kid is no rocket scientist. You should get him into a trade school ASAP."

Every school has players that don't meet expectations and others that exceed them. It doesn't matter if it's at Alabama or North Dakota.

I just wish fans would stop with the nonsense.

These young men have an opportunity. It's up to them to become who they want to be in football and life.

It’s a recruiting board. What do you think the purpose of the board is if not to discuss recruits? Or are we only allowed to pump sunshine all the time (I do that a lot by the way), and never question or critique?

I am impressed with what Flagg was able to do at Miami. Good for him. But it’s my opinion he would never have been offered if this were a championship team. And it’s my opinion that this kid Russell should also not be offered if we want to build a championship team. In fact, it’s super unfair to him, as he is going to end up either riding pine or transferring .

People talk about a few plays that a player makes as though that makes up for lack of top tier talent. Yes Frank Ladson recovered an onside kick that was a big momentum changer. Should we not try to replace him with Trader or Carr despite that? Sure Couch had some key interceptions this season. But wouldn’t you prefer Stevenson? There are 8-10 roster spots for DTs and we’re giving one to Russell. Is that the best use of that token? I think not. I’d rather use it on a portal DT.

As far as his awards and stats are concerned, that is the reason I decided to look at his film and watch him play on TV. I was expecting the next Bain. But what I saw was someone who took a lot of plays off and didn’t show top level athleticism.

Last edited:
First of all, he was Dade County Defensive Player of The Year as a junior. Let that marinade in your skull for a minute. Think about all the defensive players that came out of Dade last year.

I don't understand how fans continue to use their "expertise" to analyze high school kids 17-18 years old.

They can't even tell you what their own kids will develop into as adults, but somehow they know what a high school football player will develop into. That would be the same as me looking at your kid's grades and saying, "That kid is no rocket scientist. You should get him into a trade school ASAP."

Every school has players that don't meet expectations and others that exceed them. It doesn't matter if it's at Alabama or North Dakota.

I just wish fans would stop with the nonsense.

These young men have an opportunity. It's up to them to become who they want to be in football and life.
Do you know the last ten winners of that award are, and how they fared in college?

Lmao! Why?

And is he really only 6’1? I thought he was 6’2 and some change when I saw him earlier this year.

He is narrow up top, which means his ability to put on weight is limited.

Cause his team lost to Columbus

It’s a recruiting board. What do you think the purpose of the board is if not to discuss recruits? Or are we only allowed to pump sunshine all the time (I do that a lot by the way), and never question or critique?

I am impressed with what Flagg was able to do at Miami. Good for him. But it’s my opinion he would never have been offered if this were a championship team. And it’s my opinion that this kid Russell should also not be offered if we want to build a championship team. In fact, it’s super unfair to him, as he is going to end up either riding pine or transferring .

People talk about a few plays that a player makes as though that makes up for lack of top tier talent. Yes Frank Ladson recovered an onside kick that was a big momentum changer. Should we not try to replace him with Trader or Carr despite that? Sure Couch had some key interceptions this season. But wouldn’t you prefer Stevenson? There are 8-10 roster spots for DTs and we’re giving one to Russell. Is that the best use of that token? I think not. I’d rather use it on a portal DT.

As far as his awards and stats are concerned, that is the reason I decided to look at his film and watch him play on TV. I was expecting the next Bain. But what I saw was someone who took a lot of plays off and didn’t show top level athleticism.
Solid points. All is open for discussion, but point is coaches are paid to make these kind of evaluations. We can disagree & in hindsight second guess, but it’s their job that’s on the line. Need to evaluation and be able to make solid projections on what a 17-18 year old can be. If take him, then assume deemed among best options to fill the 8-10 spots.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Is he making demands too?

What in the **** do the coaches see in this cat.
IMG_4855.jpeg
IMG_4856.jpeg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Who's the DT we took from Chaminade a few years back?

I don’t see UM dropping this young man from our class. He maybe someone who transfers out in a few years but keeping relationships is important.
Dropping a committed player can hurt relationships
A player transferring means he was given an opportunity and it did not work out=no damage to any relationships.

Advertisement
Back