2024 DL David Stone [commits to Okla] ENUFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong. Don’t let the same city/little brother relationship cloud your judgement. Manny was a rushed, first time HC hire and nobody serious thought he’d win anything important.

Mario was THE GUY. The $80 million dollar guy that symbolized Miami’s commitment to football and winning. The most expensive staff in the ACC he hired, was supposed to be the best of the best. He got blown out by a team in the same conference as FIU, blown out by your rival, boat raced by Duke, didn’t score a TD against UVA, etc. Mario took every negative connotation about himself as a HC, doubled down on it, and it blew up in his face.

There is no comparison to losing a single game to FIU with Manny Diaz as your HC, to what happened all season long last year.
Are we questioning the worst single game loss or the worst season? Those are two different questions. IMO.

FIU was is the worst single game loss in program history. Miami was a 30+ point favorite if I’m not mistaken. If I am, they had to be at least 20 points favorites. And you can’t discount the context of the game. Former coach of Butch Davis coaching FIU, playing the game on the site of the hallowed Orange Bowl, former Miami players on the FIU sideline. And without a doubt, Manny Diaz got his butt whipped. He should’ve been fired that night.

Middle Tennessee State probably ranks second, part of the worst single season in since the 70s. Mario no doubt suffered his worst year as a head coach.

If you want to ignore the context of the FIU loss you need to ignore Mario’s salary, and all the hype around the recommitment to football.

I don’t know why anybody’s comparing the two.

Advertisement
To me even if this kid had committed to us it would have been very hard to hold on to him.

The kid said he was only doing it for his parents but he himself wanted to go back to Oklahoma and OU.

Trying to hold on to this kid for the next 4 months with him having all this time to sway his parents would have been **** near impossible.The kid didn’t want to be here and chances are no matter what hat he put on yesterday chances are the helmet he had on when spring rolled around would have OU on the side of it…

To me even if this kid had committed to us it would have been very hard to hold on to him.

The kid said he was only doing it for his parents but he himself wanted to go back to Oklahoma and OU.

Trying to hold on to this kid for the next 4 months with him having all this time to sway his parents would have been **** near impossible.The kid didn’t want to be here and chances are no matter what hat he put on yesterday chances are the helmet he had on when spring rolled around would have OU on the side of it…
I legit think we have a shot to ink him! The people that are freaking out need to realize just because Patterson committed or Jones doesn’t mean they can’t be had.

Advertisement
Are we questioning the worst single game loss or the worst season? Those are two different questions. IMO.

FIU was is the worst single game loss in program history. Miami was a 30+ point favorite if I’m not mistaken. If I am, they had to be at least 20 points favorites. And you can’t discount the context of the game. Former coach of Butch Davis coaching FIU, playing the game on the site of the hallowed Orange Bowl, former Miami players on the FIU sideline. And without a doubt, Manny Diaz got his butt whipped. He should’ve been fired that night.

Middle Tennessee State probably ranks second, part of the worst single season in since the 70s. Mario no doubt suffered his worst year as a head coach.

If you want to ignore the context of the FIU loss you need to ignore Mario’s salary, and all the hype around the recommitment to football.

I don’t know why anybody’s comparing the two.
He said FIU was the worst loss, comparing it to last year. And I disagree. MTSU was worse than FIU. For all of the reasons I’ve already mentioned. Nobody blinks when a first time HC loses a bad game. The only reason it was that bad, was bc it was FIU. Optics wise, and damage to the program, it’s MTSU.

The only difference is Mario had the ability to come back from his loss, Manny didn’t.

tenor(2).gif

To me that's not Mario's vs Venable's pitch, but rather the kid wanted to go home. Like this wasn't a kid going in with a completely open mindset, but one that was planning to go to OU b/c it was home and Mario actually gave him something to think about. But at the end of the day 2nd place doesn't count for much.

Short of moving the University of Miami to Norman, I don't see how anything more could've been done.

Advertisement
We need a DT to be drafted high and make some noise in college awards to have any credibility about who we can develop.

Time for Leonard Taylor to become a national story.

Thats one way to do it- pray JT / Salave’a can earn a rep of being able to develop DTs. Big gamble though - if LT doesn't have a phenomenal year then UM will end up missing on top tier DTs 3 years in a row.

The other way is to hire a DT coach that every recruit and other coaches know is the absolute best in the business at developing DTs and getting them drafted.

One of the two, Salave’a or JT, has to be replaced with either an outstanding recruiter or talent developer (preferably someone good at both jobs like Partridge). But if focusing on recruiting only, would be interesting to see what Ed O could do.

Y’all know that his family showed up with gear for each team right? It wasn’t just a canes banner. The girl behind the girl holding the canes banner was holding an ou flag and the other little girl was was draped in what looked like a MSU green colored flag. It wasn’t Miami green. There’s multiple angles that show the crimson OU flag. And for those of you who say he only shocked his family, he sure as **** shocked this fanbase too judging by the way some of y’all are mad. Just get on to the next one. He might’ve surprised a couple people in his family but he told his mom that he wanted to go home because that’s what HE wants. Bates called him and closed the deal and whatever he said made him wanna come home. That’s that. “His family doesn’t look happy” yes they do y’all just see one camera angle, his mom and sisters looked happy for him as well. Miami can appeal to the family all they want but in the end the family doesn’t make the decision the player does. “He’s gonna go 6-7 in the big 12” may I remind you all that this team went 5-7 last year with losses to middle Tennessee state, duke and Pitt? That’s a whole lot of the pot calling the kettle black….. complain all you want but this is the hard truth people don’t wanna hear

And Miami isn’t going away! The family is on our side.
I have to be honest. If the kid wants to go home, it might be better to just let him.
Y’all know that his family showed up with gear for each team right? It wasn’t just a canes banner. The girl behind the girl holding the canes banner was holding an ou flag and the other little girl was was draped in what looked like a MSU green colored flag. It wasn’t Miami green. There’s multiple angles that show the crimson OU flag. And for those of you who say he only shocked his family, he sure as **** shocked this fanbase too judging by the way some of y’all are mad. Just get on to the next one. He might’ve surprised a couple people in his family but he told his mom that he wanted to go home because that’s what HE wants. Bates called him and closed the deal and whatever he said made him wanna come home. That’s that. “His family doesn’t look happy” yes they do y’all just see one camera angle, his mom and sisters looked happy for him as well. Miami can appeal to the family all they want but in the end the family doesn’t make the decision the player does. “He’s gonna go 6-7 in the big 12” may I remind you all that this team went 5-7 last year with losses to middle Tennessee state, duke and Pitt? That’s a whole lot of the pot calling the kettle black….. complain all you want but this is the hard truth people don’t wanna hear
fans been holding the U upset down on our field for 20 years.

Advertisement
I have to be honest. If the kid wants to go home, it might be better to just let him.

fans been holding the U upset down on our field for 20 years.
Well, you can’t just stop lol. Imagine if all the south florida kids that went to the SEC over a “ buisness decision “ cared? Idk man. I get it. But I think this was closer than anyone thinks. The kid said it was all Miami till the last second.

He said FIU was the worst loss, comparing it to last year. And I disagree. MTSU was worse than FIU. For all of the reasons I’ve already mentioned. Nobody blinks when a first time HC loses a bad game. The only reason it was that bad, was bc it was FIU. Optics wise, and damage to the program, it’s MTSU.

The only difference is Mario had the ability to come back from his loss, Manny didn’t.
Too many bad losses the last couple decades to be splitting hairs or debating the worst. That said, taking a knee to FIU is an all-timer. Manny & the program were embarrassed by a bitter ex-coach who craftily had his players faking injuries every other play. Mario may never be a modern day Knute Rockne, but suspect he would have kicked Butch’s *** if he pulled that ****.

Advertisement
Did not read, however, you know what paragraphs are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back