Djack position in 2018

Highly doubt he plays DT. We don't really have another SSDE on the team and he generates a pretty good pass rush imo.

Advertisement
Certainly works as a situational pass rush line. However, if they're going to continue to sub like that in obvious pass situations, I'd prefer they dial back the blitzing. What's the point of putting 4 pass rushers on the line if you're bringing the house anyway?
Excellent point and this has been my main criticism of Diaz. I realize that creating mayhem and confusion is one of the core tenets of his philosophy but Diaz must realize that he has a DL that is more than capable of generating pressure on their own. He must also realize that by engaging in the type of excessive and gratuitous blitzing he is known for, he is handicapping his defense's ability to defend the pass which has led to our atrocious 3rd down conversion rate on defense. This forces the defense to stay out on the field much longer than they should especially given the talent level on defense.

The maddeningly inconsistent "feast or famine" nature of the offense is reflected in their abysmal 3rd down conversion rate and that inability to stay on the field only serves to further compound the problem as the defense is forced to take the field again and again until they are completely worn out. I believe that these issues all came to a head at the end of the season and were a huge factor in our 3 game slide.

I'll focus on defense here since this thread is about blitzing. With the type of dominant DL we have Diaz does not and should not have to blitz as often. Let the front 4 eat and drop more into coverage especially if Diaz insists on playing that soft zone on the back end. The bottom line here is that this defense possesses far too much talent to perform so poorly on 3rd down. It's unacceptable moving forward and Diaz should know this. The defense should be a 3 and out machine and I fully expect for it to be this year. No excuses!

Overall I like what Diaz has done. He needs to tighten up a few aspects of his defense but he has been somewhat of a pleasant surprise up to this point and the defense for the most part has been transformed from a soft reactive bunch under ***** Donofrio to blood craving assassins under his watch. When you take into account everything I went over above and how much time the defense was out on the field, what this defense was able to accomplish in terms of yards per play allowed was flat out amazing as we ranked near the top in every relevant YPP allowed metric.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back