DJ Williams talks LBs, Gator Cookout

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
DJ Williams is used to grilling Gators.

After going 3-0 against UF during his Hurricane career, it wasn’t hard to find the theme for his annual Dyme Lyfe pep rally.

“We are going to have a full gator menu—gator tacos, gator Cuban sandwich, even gator Al Pastor-style,” he said. “The gator Cuban is going to knock peoples’ socks off.”

Williams will be hosting the Drain the Swamp Cookout on Sunday, August 18th, at J. Wakefield Brewery in Miami. The event will feature gator and non-gator dishes prepared by El Bearded Chef from the popular Hate Mondays restaurant.

“The pep rally is a lost art,” Williams said. “I remember in college, we used have pep rallies where you beat up the rival’s car with a baseball bat. That is the feeling we are going for.”

The event is part of Dyme Lyfe’s effort to combine Miami culture, Hurricanes football and fashion. Williams launched the brand six years ago and it is easy to spot the logo at any Hurricanes game.

A $30 ticket to the cookout brings a plate, a beer (the Drain The Swamp IPA) and a Dyme Lyfe turnover chain. Attendees will also have an opportunity to view and enter a raffle for a live Canes painting by Beau Bradbury. Williams and other Canes greats will be in attendance.

“We got some backlash for cooking Gators, but I’m not too worried about that,” he said. “I promise we won’t cook an elephant when we play Alabama.”

Williams still closely follows the program and maintains a steady dialogue with the teams’ senior trio of linebackers. He isn’t shy about sharing his opinion, whether it is in person or on social media.

“I need them to be physical and violent. When we played—win, lose or draw—you were going to have guys on the other sideline limping and asking for crutches. I’m not worried about the leadership part. What I want is guys pushing each other out the way to make a tackle. That’s the next level.”

Williams made a similar decision to return for his senior year and was able to boost his stock from possible second rounder to solid first round pick. But it was even more important for him to erase the bad feelings from the Fiesta Bowl loss. This year’s group is hoping for a similar redemption.

“Your legacy is 7-6. You owe it to yourself and the fanbase to do better than that. And it will help your draft stock at the same time. The NFL wants winners.”

Coach Diaz recently signed two LBs (Sam Brooks and Avery Huff ) who did not play the position most of their high school careers. Williams endorses that approach.

“I want guys who love to compete. Those are the guys who play multiple sports and multiple positions. I played my first year at RB because I got beat out at LB. When you have guys who are willing to play any position for the good of the team, that’s when you get championship ball."

Fans will get more than just great linebacker play when they go to a game at Hard Rock Stadium. Dyme Lyfe will be starting its “Tailgate Crashers” program, where Williams and other Canes alumni crash your tailgate, bring giveaways and play you one-on-one in your tailgate game of choice.

“What’s your food? What are your traditions? Every tailgate is different and we want to show that,” he said.

The weekly winners are entered into a Tailgate Veteran competition with the winner getting two bowl tickets. All of these promotions—the Drain the Swamp cookout, Tailgate Crashers—are part of Dyme Lyfe’s vision.

“We want to bring the community together through Canes football.”

Tickets to the Drain the Swamp Cookout (4-8 pm) are available here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/drain-...field-hate-mondays-tavern-tickets-65839274041

You can follow Dyme Lyfe on Twitter @Dyme_Lyfe and at instagram at https://www.instagram.com/dymelyfe/.

Advertisement
“I want guys who love to compete. Those are the guys who play multiple sports and multiple positions. I played my first year at RB because I got beat out at LB. When you have guys who are willing to play any position for the good of the team, that’s when you get championship ball."

Listen up Derrick Smith

**** DJ is really doing some major marketing here! Nice!

I love it when he says "7-6 is your legacy. You owe it to yourself and the fanbase to do better then that". Agree 110%. For guys like Jaquan, GWillis, MJ, and Redwine to leave here on a 7-6 team is just not fair. So I don't blame them for that inept offense.

Shaq and Pinck can have a different outcome. They have some symbol of an offense and they have a great D. No excuses.

Advertisement
I love it! No other school is doing this. This can also help with the inroads with players families throughout south Florida. You have no idea whose tailgate you might go to where they have sons,cousins, nephews who may be the future stars in South Florida and you just made them feel that much more connected.

Keep sewing seeds. Bring the community together, win, and watch the results!

Super dope and definitely proud of dyme life!

So annoyed. Saw and signed up for this the day it was announced, psyched. But I need to drive up to Tampa tomorrow and stay there until the opener for unexpected family reasons, and got too much work to justify 10hr additional round trip to just hit that up. Really miffed I can't make it.

If there isn't a refund option I'm hoping they'll at least mail me the turnover chain along with an order Im making for the opener, waiting to hear back.

After going 3-0 against UF during his Hurricane career, it wasn’t hard to find the theme for his annual Dyme Lyfe pep rally.

“We are going to have a full gator menu—gator tacos, gator Cuban sandwich, even gator Al Pastor-style,” he said. “The gator Cuban is going to knock peoples’ socks off.”

Williams will be hosting the Drain the Swamp Cookout on Sunday, August 18th, at J. Wakefield Brewery in Miami. The event will feature gator and non-gator dishes prepared by El Bearded Chef from the popular Hate Mondays restaurant.

“The pep rally is a lost art,” Williams said. “I remember in college, we used have pep rallies where you beat up the rival’s car with a baseball bat. That is the feeling we are going for.”

The event is part of Dyme Lyfe’s effort to combine Miami culture, Hurricanes football and fashion. Williams launched the brand six years ago and it is easy to spot the logo at any Hurricanes game.

A $30 ticket to the cookout brings a plate, a beer (the Drain The Swamp IPA) and a Dyme Lyfe turnover chain. Attendees will also have an opportunity to view and enter a raffle for a live Canes painting by Beau Bradbury. Williams and other Canes greats will be in attendance.

“We got some backlash for cooking Gators, but I’m not too worried about that,” he said. “I promise we won’t cook an elephant when we play Alabama.”

If you are staying in Miami for the UF game, Dyme Lyfe will also be hosting a watch party at the Racket in Wynwood beginning at 5 pm.

Williams still closely follows the program and maintains a steady dialogue with the teams’ senior trio of linebackers. He isn’t shy about sharing his opinion, whether it is in person or on social media.

“I need them to be physical and violent. When we played—win, lose or draw—you were going to have guys on the other sideline limping and asking for crutches. I’m not worried about the leadership part. What I want is guys pushing each other out the way to make a tackle. That’s the next level.”

Williams made a similar decision to return for his senior year and was able to boost his stock from possible second rounder to solid first round pick. But it was even more important for him to erase the bad feelings from the Fiesta Bowl loss. This year’s group is hoping for a similar redemption.

“Your legacy is 7-6. You owe it to yourself and the fanbase to do better than that. And it will help your draft stock at the same time. The NFL wants winners.”

Coach Diaz recently signed two LBs (Sam Brooks and Avery Huff ) who did not play the position most of their high school careers. Williams endorses that approach.

Fans will get more than just great linebacker play when they go to a game at Hard Rock Stadium. Dyme Lyfe will be starting its “Tailgate Crashers” program, where Williams and other Canes alumni crash your tailgate, bring giveaways and play you one-on-one in your tailgate game of choice.

“What’s your food? What are your traditions? Every tailgate is different and we want to show that,” he said.

The weekly winners are entered into a Tailgate Veteran competition with the winner getting two bowl tickets. All of these promotions—the Drain the Swamp cookout, Tailgate Crashers—are part of Dyme Lyfe’s vision.

Tickets to the Drain the Swamp Cookout (4-8 pm) are available here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/drain-...field-hate-mondays-tavern-tickets-65839274041

Sign up for the free Watch Party at the Racket in Wynwood here. https://dymelyfewatchparty.eventbrite.com/

You can follow Dyme Lyfe on Twitter @Dyme_Lyfe and at instagram at https://www.instagram.com/dymelyfe/.

I still remember the pass DJ Williams caught and ran in for a TD vs the turds in the Sugar Bowl. A lot of people don’t remember he played fullback his first year.

Advertisement
We shouldn't persecute these amazing creatures because of our disdain for another University. This is wrong.

If you’re serious, alligators are like ****roaches in Florida.

They are in no way endangered. There are literally over 1 million alligators in the state of Florida.

Advertisement
Advertisement

If you are staying in Miami for the UF game, Dyme Lyfe will also be hosting a watch party at the Racket in Wynwood beginning at 5 pm.

Sign up for the free Watch Party at the Racket in Wynwood here. https://dymelyfewatchparty.eventbrite.com/

Thank you DMoney! I greatly appreciate your work and effort.

Advertisement
Back