DJ Scaife Jr Plays Against North Carolina

Advertisement
Does everything you want to see there. Always looking for work, getting to the second level. Looked like he got beat on one play that actually ended up going for a big gain but there’s a lot to like about this kid. Gonna be hard to find reasons to keep him off of the field.

Just a matter of time for DJ until he starts at tackle. He has an unusually long reach at 6'3". Athletic and a mauler. Agree, move St. Louis back to RT and kick Donaldson inside and we've got of the better lines.

Agree but it seems like a lot of changes at once...DJ to LT, St. Louis yo RT, ND to RG. For a position that needs time to gel, how difficult is it to gel mid season with this kind of kehoe shuffle?

Advertisement
Agree but it seems like a lot of changes at once...DJ to LT, St. Louis yo RT, ND to RG. For a position that needs time to gel, how difficult is it to gel mid season with this kind of kehoe shuffle?

Agreed. I think you can do it over 3 to 4 games. Keeping give reps to DJ at left tackle. Then you run a few series with St. Louis at RT with DJ at LT. I'd like to roll into Blacksburg with that front and most certainly against Clemson a couple of weeks later.

Agreed. I think you can do it over 3 to 4 games. Keeping give reps to DJ at left tackle. Then you run a few series with St. Louis at RT with DJ at LT. I'd like to roll into Blacksburg with that front and most certainly against Clemson a couple of weeks later.
It shouldn't be hard, especially with 9 days to get ready. St. Louis played all 3 years at RT, Donaldson played RG all year last year and Scaiffe has played both tackles and some guard

Got it - agree, end goal by game 7-8 that we have our OL for the balance of the year. Maybe I missed it but I don't recall St Louis being used at RT. Has he?

Advertisement
His extremely long frame for 6’3 is why he can play all five spots , which is hard to do. This’s arms are crazy long so he can get his hands on the dl just as fast if he were a 6’5-6’6 tackle. You don’t see many 6’3 tackles but those arms belong on somebody 6’6.

Dude is a mauler and nasty , one of the best Fr ol we’ve brought in awhile.

Reminds me of the LT Ga. had last year Isiah Wynn about 6' 3" long arms.

Don’t know much about Oline stuff, but sure looked good to me and was in on a lot of nice plays. On the last TD, he drove his guy back into endzone...haven’t seen that in a long time🙌🙌🙌

Not this year. Obviously, he started at RT last year.

Right, so which begs the question...if St Louis to RT is a natural move after Scaife slides in to the LT spot, why hasn't he gotten some reps at RT? Anyway, definitely something to keep an eye on as the year unfolds.

Advertisement
When Scaife and Boulware are in the game we're a different unit. I don't understand these coaches at all. They continue to play guys who under perform just because they're seniors or practice well.

I don't understand how SEC teams against better competition will play a bunch of freshman and young players but we're here still tossing in Jones and Mahoney like it all good.

It makes me wonder if our coaches use game performance as part of the evaluation of being a starter. How many times have we heard how well a player practices but when they're in a game they are consistently trash and a liability? We do it with Knowles, did it with Rosier, did it with Feagles, did it with Delaney, did it with Linder, etc.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Both DJ Scaife and Boulware are very active. The part I love best is that they both have quick feet, which allows them to quickly reposition their body, based on necessity to carry out their blocks from which ever angle necessary...

For instance: I hate it when a lineman is trying to block a spin or swim move, but their feet stays square to the line of scrimmage, as if their stuck in quicksand.

Also... I can't tell you the last time I've seen any of our lineman pull off a combo block. Watch #51 @ :24 second mark!!
- Where you assist to get a DL under control, then climb up to the LB and block him as well!! It creates a larger hole for RB's, which keeping the LB from roaming free to the ball!

Love it!!

Last edited:
You have to think the OL shuffling and experimentation is all a transition that is occurring gradually and will be complete by the time we come off bye for BC

Those are some nice snaps. He definitely deserves to play more, and LT seems his natural position, which is great because it moves St Louis back to his natural position at RT, and Donaldson back to his natural position at RG. We finally have line harmony with Scaife in.

One question. On that rollout by Perry to the left, Scaife pinched down on the 3-Tech and left a DE unblocked. Was that designed, or a mistake? It turned out alright, but I think the DE could have gotten to Perry if he was rushing, not defending a lane.

It shouldn't be hard, especially with 9 days to get ready. St. Louis played all 3 years at RT, Donaldson played RG all year last year and Scaiffe has played both tackles and some guard

As good as Scaife looked, focus on Donaldson on these same clips. He is a liability on pass protection. Coaches need to make this move asap

Advertisement
Back