DJ Scaife - 40 career starts and gets no respect

Advertisement

Is this a record for a player entering a season at Miami? The man is guaranteed to start at RT in 2022.

Projected starting OL against Bethune imo:

LT Nelson - 32 career starts

LG Oluwaseun - 24 career starts

C Clark - 31 career starts

RG Campbell - 6 career starts

RT Scaife - 40 career starts

Bench: Rivers, Sagapolu, Denis, Traore, Reed, Washington

Scout team: McLaughlin, Seymore, Rodriguez, Cooper, McCoy

FQfUkHgXIAoZiUr
Everybody needs to step up on the 1st and 2nd teams. OL, WR, back 7, and not playing down to weak competition is what I'm focusing on in 2022-2023. Kudos to Scaife and all upper classmen for giving this cane thing another go after surviving Manny and a tired Richt.

Advertisement
Get a good look boys, this will be the last time in a VERY long time we have a low quality OL. We've deluded ourselves into thinking they were decent for a long time. The boys coming in are man children and quality waiting to be developed into the kind lines we use to have. Take a long look at the runt squad. Asta la vista say la vie.

Just saw Justice Oluwaseun at Winn Dixie. Sticking by my prediction that he wins a starting guard spot vs Bethune.

Get a good look boys, this will be the last time in a VERY long time we have a low quality OL. We've deluded ourselves into thinking they were decent for a long time. The boys coming in are man children and quality waiting to be developed into the kind lines we use to have. Take a long look at the runt squad. Asta la vista say la vie.
Wonder if we’ll get a one year stopgap transfer next year. We’ve got a lot of dudes leaving. Tough to rely on so many prospective TF. Hope Samson and Francis are EE.

Advertisement
Honestly, Scaife looked better at Tackle, as he seems to understand his assignment there, but he would make a better Guard, so I understood the move (along with the mandatory need)...

Thing is...at Guard, the kid has had several mental lapse, and it caused him to lose some confidence. Hopefully Mario can download some X/O classroom IQ, and toughness into the guy.

Also, I dont know if its his weight, but he doesn't seem to be as fluid as he was in his Freshman year... So I still he makes a better Guard, with the right mental state.

Zion
Rivers
Sagupolo / Clark (Serviceable, but undersized not strong enough)
Scaife
Jcamp

Last edited:
Wonder if we’ll get a one year stopgap transfer next year. We’ve got a lot of dudes leaving. Tough to rely on so many prospective TF. Hope Samson and Francis are EE.
Good point. These guys have "played together so long" that they're all going to leave at once. Hopefully with how well the team is projected to do this year, a couple guys looking to improve on their draft stock or something transfer in for a "prove it" year giving the young pups a time to mature. If anything from the Diaz error, they did make use of the transfer portable to fill needs however I do like Mario's "homegrown" approach. It's always the best way to go, personally.

Let's not be too quick to dismiss some of the current OL in regard to 2023.

Campbell could come back for a 6th year. Nelson and Clark may return for a 5th year. Denis, Sagapolu, Seymore, McLaughlin, Washington, Rodriguez, Cooper, McCoy have not played. If we bring back the 11 OL listed above then we won't be reliant on true freshmen in the 2-deep.

Advertisement
Really curious/excited to see what this staff does with the O-Line. Def won’t look like it did before even if the positions remain similar. Good coaching/technique/scheme/utilization will make the difference. Def not worried. Then in a couple years Lord help all the defenses we play on the line

I agree but I think scaife has been solid, i dont think he was starting because of seniority i think its more he’s just the better option from our depth
It’s impossible to have that many starts simply by seniority unless you’re a 8th year senior. Scaife has gotten playing time since he was a freshman so the whole seniority thing is just fan fiction. He gets pushed around inside but he’s a solid if unspectacular option at RT. Better than average pass blocker. In an ideal world, he wouldn’t be our starter at RT but he’s probably our best available option.

Like all players, DJ deserves respect for the time and effort he’s put in. He could have quit, up and transferred.

Don‘t confuse effort with results. This doesn’t mean he‘s guaranteed tomorrow.

I do wish we’d refrain from demeaning and insulting the players.

Easy to take personal shots on a message board.

Advertisement
I get that Scaife isn't the caliber of player that we are recruiting now thankfully.....he is more a representation of the past 4-5 coaching staffs that reached for small guys and played them out of position. But if he is garbage then we are heading for another awful year cause he graded as our #2 OL and actually played pretty well last year. From PFF he was our second best rated player last year: "Scaife finished the regular season with the best pass blocking grade of any UM offensive lineman, earning an 88.0 pass blocking grade. PFF credited Scaife with allowing eight quarterback pressures and two sacks on the year. Scaife earned a 73.1 run blocking grade on the season."

Advertisement
Back