DJ Johnson

Buck, which few kids do you expect to play, since u think it will only be a few?
And unless scaife is another Donaldson, he’s getting a redshirt. Not a day 1 starter. He isn’t starting over gaynor and the other guys who redshirted. Give him a year and let’s see.

You need to watch Scaife play. Scaife is much better recruit than Gaynor was. Obviously, due to need, the TEs are forced to play early. Jordan is much more physically ready than Mallory, though. Pope and Nesta will play, esp if we lose DTs to the draft. Maybe one 1-2 corners and 1 Safety. If Walton Stays, incoming RBs are ST guys.

Blow teams out like we should in 2018......and whole bunch will play for development purposes. WHICH IS WHAT WE WANT!

Advertisement
Buck, you claimed only a few will play next year. You’re way off as over half the class will play next year. I want to hear your explanation.

When I say play, I mean "Critical Moments"....like Bandy, Carter.....the 3 LBs from 2016. Any player can get a snap here or there. We are building our coffers. WHICH IS WHAT WE WANT. No more relying on True Freshman. WE DON'T WANT THAT! The Ray Lewis and Kenny Phillips don't come around every year. If we are relying on True Freshman year after year....WE ARE NOT A DOMINANT PROGRAM. For example. we did not start the season relying on Garvin like we did the Freshmen LBs in 2016. Garvin was allowed to develop with his snaps....LOOK AT HIM NOW.

We are potentially Super Stacked going into 2018, esp if we keep the DTs and Walton. WHICH INCOMING FRESHMAN CAN TAKE JOBS? IMO, Pope (gifted), Scaife (another Donaldon) and Jordan (super talented, plus his Competition is weak).

I’ve watched scaife play. Against hs kids. We have guys who have been thru a whole college season and strength and conditioning program. Oline is the toughest position to come in a start b/c generally kids aren’t strong enough to handle dts older. It’s the one position where strength is a major requirement. So, I sought scaife starts or moves in front guys like gaynor or Mahoney or Hebert right away.

Well, you’re talking about playing vs redshirting. Way more than 1-2 dbs are gonna play. If we bring in 6, maybe 2 redshirt. Any incoming lb probably redshirts. Neither of the te redshirt. Pope isn’t taking a starting job but plays. Probably Hightower too. Wiggins maybe redshirts. Scaife redshirts if he’s not one of the top 8. Lingard plays. Qb redshirts. You will see more than half this class will play. Some will redshirt due to numbers and the need to create depth with guys who redshirted last year. We don’t want all incoming oline to not redshirt and then they’re in the same class as the guys who redshirted last year and now you potentially have a huge group leaving in the same year.

You watched Donaldson Play against HS kids. Yet, he was a Day 1 Starter. Boom

Scaife is a better recruit than anyone you named.

Again, anyone can get snaps.....are they critical snaps? DJ Johnson will be good, i hope, but he will never be as good as Garvin.

Stop Star Gazing.

Advertisement

Again, anyone can get snaps.....are they critical snaps? DJ Johnson will be good, i hope, but he will never be as good as Garvin.

Stop Star Gazing.

You dont know if he will be better than garvin or not. You dont know the future.

Last edited:
Your initial comments were about how most of this class is gonna redshirt. Not get meaningful snaps. The Donaldson’s don’t come along often. The fact that the other staff left is a little bare and thin and the loss of a couple guys to transfers required gaynor to play. Gaynor wasn’t a highly rated kid so not sure how I’m star gazing. If scaife can enroll early would go a long way towards whether he plays next year or not.

Stop Star Gazing.

You dont know if he will be better than garvin or not. You dont know the future.

Actually, I do. LOL

Your initial comments were about how most of this class is gonna redshirt. Not get meaningful snaps. The Donaldson’s don’t come along often. The fact that the other staff left is a little bare and thin and the loss of a couple guys to transfers required gaynor to play. Gaynor wasn’t a highly rated kid so not sure how I’m star gazing. If scaife can enroll early would go a long way towards whether he plays next year or not.

The last staff left more talent than you are giving them credit for.

Meaningful Snaps: 2nd String and some third string depending on position (ex. DLine) and Special Teams

Advertisement

Actually, it is VERY common for incoming OLs to be Day 1 Starters....nationwide.

No redshirting. Put everyone on the field in some manner. This isn't 1980, if you're three and done you're three and done. Get as much out of the player as you can. Why get two out of three years?

No, oline is the least common position for true freshmen to come in and start of all the positions. It’s not common. And your comments were most of the class will redshirt, when, that is false. You can redshirt a kid and then play him for 2-3 years and he’s gone or you can not redshirt him and play him for 3 years and he’s gone, if they are good enough. That’s why, if they are good enough, they play now. This isn’t the 80’s with 95 scholarships. We have 85 and ave been running at about 75-80 even with no restrictions.

Yeah the old staff recruited ok, just couldn’t develop. Losing Linder and odogwu b/c they wanted to be starters hurt depth and caused some guys to play early.

Advertisement
No, oline is the least common position for true freshmen to come in and start of all the positions. It’s not common. And your comments were most of the class will redshirt, when, that is false. You can redshirt a kid and then play him for 2-3 years and he’s gone or you can not redshirt him and play him for 3 years and he’s gone, if they are good enough. That’s why, if they are good enough, they play now. This isn’t the 80’s with 95 scholarships. We have 85 and ave been running at about 75-80 even with no restrictions.

Yeah the old staff recruited ok, just couldn’t develop. Losing Linder and odogwu b/c they wanted to be starters hurt depth and caused some guys to play early.

Tell that to S. Henderson, E. Flowers and N. Donaldson..............those are just RECENT CANES!

Stop already. You do not know what the **** you are talking about. LOL

Tell that to S. Henderson, E. Flowers and N. Donaldson..............those are just RECENT CANES!

You're picking guys that were 5 stars, pretty much. those kinds of guys are most likely starters at the next level.

As for next year, Scaife is going to be in the 7-8 man rotation

Advertisement
You named 3 guys in the last 10 years.
Anyone will tell you the hardest position to come in and start as a true freshman is Oline. Please tell me which position you think is the hardest to transition and start from hs to college. I played and forgot more than you’ll know. And you can bump this next year when more than half this class is playing and not redshirting.

If scaife is in the top 8, he’ll not redshirt. But it’s unlikely he’s starting.

Redshirt? Lolol. Cmon man. Do u even follow along at all?

Of course DJ is not RSing....but he could have.

RS will soon become common in our program. WE WANT THAT. As we stockpile quality State Of Miami talent, there will not be a need for most freshman to play. WE WANT THAT! Only the most elite will play early and not RS. Some Posters will be butt hurt next year because their favorite freshman are not playing a lot. THAT IS A GOOD THING. That means the vets said, "you cant have my job, freshman." In fact, I am pleased that Delaney is not starting. Not because I do not like him, but because it means program players have stepped up. WE WANT THAT.

To be honest, I only expect a few 2018 recruits to make an impact in 2018. Pope, Scaife (Possible Day 1 Starter) and Nesta are a few of them. If Walton comes back, Lingard and Davis are looking at Special Teams roles or RS. WE WANT THAT!

no, just no.

guys like dj don't stay 5 years

You're picking guys that were 5 stars, pretty much. those kinds of guys are most likely starters at the next level.

As for next year, Scaife is going to be in the 7-8 man rotation

Not the point. It is not uncommon for OLs to start day 1.

Advertisement
Back