DJ Ivey and a DT stunt

Ivey wouldn't sniff the field for me. That's not the first time I've seen him let his man run right by while he just stood there. He did the same thing against Va at the end of the game when it was an obvious hail marry. He just stood there. Now, just go over there and stand by the bench.

Advertisement
My biggest concern with the Ivey play was the reaction of the coaches after it happened. Diaz was emotionless, Patke was confused and Rumph went about his business. That is a perfect moment to lay into the player about the lack of effort and let the rest of the team know that it is absolutely unacceptable. instead, it felt like business as usual. THAT ****ed me off more than Ivey's actions (or inaction).

My biggest concern with the Ivey play was the reaction of the coaches after it happened. Diaz was emotionless, Patke was confused and Rumph went about his business. That is a perfect moment to lay into the player about the lack of effort and let the rest of the team know that it is absolutely unacceptable. instead, it felt like business as usual. THAT ****ed me off more than Ivey's actions (or inaction).

Wouldn't want anyone's feelings getting hurt.

Advertisement
Oh you must have missed the game thread. Corch Macho assured us all that it was Cover 2 and it wasn't Ivey's responsibility to cover on the fake punt. Then he promptly deleted the porst but I'm sure it was an accident because the logic is infallible.

:monkey-serious:

What would Dabo do?

1. as alluded to earlier by another poster ... DJ sucks.
2. it was actually set up perfectly for Finley to make a tackle for a yard or two but he completely whiffed.
Bethel stunted right into the blocker. Finley was set up but if you watch Shaq he drifts right whick was probably his gap but i believe 55 has to feel that play and fill the gap. The MLB should have stuffed that play. And watch Ragone chase down the RB from the backside. He's fast.

Advertisement
sometimes it is just situational awareness and recognition. Players are not just robots that coaches can pull the levers on. They sometimes are required to make decisions on the fly as the situation changes on the field. It just seems our players don't always play very smart.

What would Dabo do?
Well, considering how he got into his place kickers *** for missing a field goal and made the player who threw a punch at an opposing player ride the bus back instead of flying with the team, I suspect Ivy might have had to hitchhike back to campus.

Bad playing by ivey, everyone knew we were in punt safe but him? Come on now
1 of 2 things happened. 1) he didnt care. 2) he got confused on what his assignment was... thought there was help on that route, thought he was supposed to stay home, etc.

Advertisement
1 of 2 things happened. 1) he didnt care. 2) he got confused on what his assignment was... thought there was help on that route, thought he was supposed to stay home, etc.
Even if so , attempt to impede his route. Don’t just let him run right by you. A pass interference call is better than giving up a td anyday

I may have missed the explanations for these 2 events as I have been avoiding all things UM since the debacle on Saturday, but maybe someone can help me understand the following:

1. What is the explanation, if given, for why DJ Ivey stopped covering the linebacker who caught the TD pass on the fake punt? After all, we kept the defense on the field for the punt, Ivey covered him off the line and then just let him go. I am baffled by this.

2. Can someone who has played or coached D-line explain the value of the D-tackle stunt which we ran in OT on the play that Gtech scored the touchdown. All I saw was 2 tackles being bunched together and an easy run for the back.

why isn’t that Bama Commit not playing we don’t have time for this let’s redshirt people and BUILD a program you do that when you can recruit your *** off

Advertisement
Even if so , attempt to impede his route. Don’t just let him run right by you. A pass interference call is better than giving up a td anyday
I'm not defending the kid... but these attention to detail hiccups are the calling card of poor coaching. I'm begging for a new staff.

GT for sure saw him loafing on tape in similar positions on field and had a check. Shanny and Pattycake don’t notice

Well said. Anyone who says it's not on the coaches, it's all the players fault simply don't understand how important self-scouting is, and the fact that our lack of it has been a major problem for many years.

There is an arms race in college football. Most on this board understand how many "analysts" Alabama has and how important they are. If our coaches are going to have any chance at all at success, we can't put every single coach in a level above their demonstrated competency and then ask them to do their jobs with both arms tied behind their back and their shoelaces tied together.

This is why I say complaining about the coaches, while I agree they suck right now, is pointless. Until the athletic department is completely overhauled, the coaching staff simply won't matter. This has got to start by establishing competency at the very top. No one can credibly claim that Blake James and Jen Strawley and crew are competent, if the goal is to build winning programs in the revenue sports.

I'm not defending the kid... but these attention to detail hiccups are the calling card of poor coaching. I'm begging for a new staff.
Coaching is trash but when everyone else is doing what their supposed to do On a punt safe and one person doesn’t of just lack awareness that’s on the player. Ivey needs to be benched

Last edited:
Coaching is trash but when everyone else is doing what their supposed to do a punt safe and one person doesn’t of just lack awareness that’s on the player. Ivey needs to be benched
Its also on the coaches not having enough players where you can just bench guys for not performing. To that point I always hear guys saying bench this guy or that guy for dropping the ball... but then what after you've benched everyone? Then you play the walk-ons? We see what criticism you get when you do that. The problem to me, across the board is coaching (recruiting), coaching (development) and lastly coaching (schemes).

Advertisement
Back