DJ Ivey and a DT stunt

AtlAtty

Recruit
Maude
I may have missed the explanations for these 2 events as I have been avoiding all things UM since the debacle on Saturday, but maybe someone can help me understand the following:

1. What is the explanation, if given, for why DJ Ivey stopped covering the linebacker who caught the TD pass on the fake punt? After all, we kept the defense on the field for the punt, Ivey covered him off the line and then just let him go. I am baffled by this.

2. Can someone who has played or coached D-line explain the value of the D-tackle stunt which we ran in OT on the play that Gtech scored the touchdown. All I saw was 2 tackles being bunched together and an easy run for the back.

Advertisement
I may have missed the explanations for these 2 events as I have been avoiding all things UM since the debacle on Saturday, but maybe someone can help me understand the following:

1. What is the explanation, if given, for why DJ Ivey stopped covering the linebacker who caught the TD pass on the fake punt? After all, we kept the defense on the field for the punt, Ivey covered him off the line and then just let him go. I am baffled by this.

2. Can someone who has played or coached D-line explain the value of the D-tackle stunt which we ran in OT on the play that Gtech scored the touchdown. All I saw was 2 tackles being bunched together and an easy run for the back.

Time to give up finding good reasons for what these coaches do. They are in over their heads. GT was clearly committed to running it on us until we stopped them. A stunt was idiotic in that situation. And DJ basically just walked off the field once that play started. Pure lazy. That's on the player, but it's really on the coaches.

We run Dline stunts ALL the time. Teams know it. Teams use it against us. Our players run into each other often. Watch the UNC 4th and 17. Watch Patchan and Garvin run stunts and end up standing next to one another in front of the center.

We stunt and blitz ourselves into trouble far too often. If you can't be GT heads up, you deserve to lose. We don't even try. We have some of the longest developing and worse executed blitzes i have seen. Other teams run blitzes and are there in seconds. We run blitzes and Pinckney loops from over the center all the way around the tackle. Unless you have lockdown coverage behind it, how is that going to get there? He's not that fast. We'd be better of running delayed blitzes through the A/B gaps than what we do, or lining the LB off the DE and slanting down.

Advertisement
In that situation for dj, at least get a pass interference call, tackle him if need be don’t just let him run by you untouched...
Also if you see a player running down the sidelines and not headed for you the Punt Returner then you should know something is up and head that way and just let the punt drop if it is not a fake punt. Just bad coaching.

Advertisement
Also if you see a player running down the sidelines and not headed for you the Punt Returner then you should know something is up and head that way and just let the punt drop if it is not a fake punt. Just bad coaching.

coaching sucks but not EVERYTHING is coaching. everyone but ivey knew the play call. that isnt on anyone but ivey himself. it was a punt safe and iveys dumbass let his man go without even an attempt to cover. nothign a coach can do but bench his *** and cut him

In that situation for dj, at least get a pass interference call, tackle him if need be don’t just let him run by you untouched...

I would like to know how they are coached in those situations? If you watch the play, the slot gunner goes nearly untouched as well (the gunner to the bottom is out of the screen). GTech coaches obviously saw this on tape and exploited it.

I would like to know how they are coached in those situations? If you watch the play, the slot gunner goes nearly untouched as well (the gunner to the bottom is out of the screen). GTech coaches obviously saw this on tape and exploited it.

for that specific call, miami knew the punt fake would be run. they called the correct coverage bc of the situation. ivey is just useless

Advertisement
So it begs the question, what r our coaches watching on tape.

Why is everything about the coaches?

Yes, over time, the coaches need to develop players and find better players.

But we are talking about a single play. This is 100% about the player. The coaches put him in position to succeed, and he failed. Hopefully he learns from it.

It's so freaking lazy to blame the coaches for everything.

Advertisement

1. as alluded to earlier by another poster ... DJ sucks.
2. it was actually set up perfectly for Finley to make a tackle for a yard or two but he completely whiffed.

Advertisement
Back