Discussion: Latest Update

All from Ivins:

- nothing more to report on Williams but he is starting to think we’re the pick.

- The early playing time pitch to Leonard Taylor is working. I really like this approach because it’s very true. Everybody is unproven after Jon and Nesta leave.

- We’re picking up more contact with Brashard. Gators might not view him as a priority after taking Charles Montgomery. Thanks Gates, we’ll take the superior speed.

- Nothing new with Jacolby other than an official CB for him

- We’re not going down without a fight for Hood

- Markavious Brown and Duce Chestnut are rising on the CB board.

My opinion:

- I already felt that way about Williams, I just wonder how many spots we really have. I would happily give up the last O-line spot or LB spot to get Crawford from Del. St and let him battle Williams for the LT spot with the loser going to RT but we obviously need to have the spot first.

- Brashard and Jacolby have a lot of potential and potential speed to add(Brashard more than JaColby even though he’s fast) but where’s the length? This isn’t 2009. Spread offense aren’t filled with small guys anymore. Teams like OSU, Baylor, Auburn, OU, Wash St., etc all have size to go with their speed and the one thing we’re lacking in our WR room is legit length. With that being said, I’m curious to see how it works out.

- Ok so Hood is leaning Michigan and you’re not giving up but where’s the expansion of the board in case you can’t make up ground? I’m not ok with just going with Troutman at Mike if they feel he would excel at striker. If you feel that’s his best position then don’t try to squeeze him into another position.

- I’m fine with Markavious Brown and Duce being bigger priorities but the lack of offered to Sistrunk and McGhee makes me shake my head. They cannot be serious about prioritizing Duce when Davion and Damarius haven’t even been offered and are probably more athletic. I’m a big purveyor of taking the best athletes/Football players no matter where they are but I’m not ok with that.

I don't mind Brashard Smith, but imo would wait Yul Brown out for that slot spot. Brashard Smith is a nice player, I like him as an APB...I like him as a slot as well, just not sure he's needed if have Restrepo and bringing in George. If I take another slot it would be one of the best, most electric small WR in nation, i.e. Yul Brown. Alexis should be/prob is #1 target, but I think he's his own category, big enough to play outside, not just slot

I think Ivins was reaching with the whole "Troutman" striker talk to begin with...Kid looks like a Mike all the way, possibly will. Game and build more like Pickney than Frierson or even the thicker Finley. Of course I'd prefer hood for this spot but Troutman is an excellent backup plan imo

Last edited:
Advertisement
The frustration isn’t with Duce The player but the prioritization of him without even talking to Davion Sistrunk and Damarious Mcghee. Both are better athletes and there’s no offers.

Again I know I pulled this with Gilotte lol...But didn't Ivins quote that Mcghee is at least being evaluated? It's not like they don't know about the kid.

I think he's a plenty good athlete (4.55 40) 4* composite. I'm obviously biased towards the Camden/South Jersey kids but they have that dog mentality, compete for everything, won't play games with the recruitment and value the Miami offer.
I can get onboard with this. No need to swing and miss if we can swing and get a 4* composite player.

Advertisement
Yea Brinson and Nabers are 6’0 plus guys. Likens seems to be looking for certain traits for his room based on his interview from earlier this month. He identified and developed Brandon Aiyuk. We’ll see how the targets develop as the season goes along. I’m sure other guys may emerge too.
IMO our WR class is almost full because I'd say George-Brashard-Brinson are all Miami leans. I don't see Nabers coming, I think he stays in SEC land. IDk what's happening with Alexis, but I'm hearing he's intrigued by Texas, although I'd be shocked if Texas got him sight unseen. Honestly, I see us pulling something unexpected for the 4th WR commit

Advertisement
Back