Difference between Manny and Mario

The one thing I’ll say about Manny. He brought the swagger. Pulling up on a yacht, crashing the FSU coaching clinic. Those things we legendary. If he had been able to put it all together here, those moments would have been talked about for decades. But the moment was too big for him. It happens. I’m sure he learned a lot of dos/donts from his HC tenure that may make him better in the future. However I do not think we should have been his first HC opportunity
Agreed about that. Some of that stuff was pretty fun. Totally forgot about crashing the coaching clinic.

Advertisement
Manny received a tiny fraction of the financial and organizational commitment that UM gave to Mario to finish 7-6 and 9th in the ACC in his second year. Manny likely signs a non-project high school quarterback recruit if he had a 2 million dollar NIL package to "offer". Or maybe he would have also put that all into a 1 year rental, but I doubt it.

There are more differences, but these are the obvious ones.
He was here 7 years and the biggest weakness of the team was his speciality. That’s incompetence not a lack of nil.

That’s basically what I’m saying. If he had been able to put it all together, those moments would go down in Canes history. Instead they are just corny because eventually he showed he couldn’t back it up. But I’ll give him kudos for effort. He tried to get kids attention by doing all that stuff to make us look like a cool spot to come play. It just didn’t pan out the way he thought it would
Sure, all those moments would have shown Manny in a better light if we would have won more. My issue is why was he personally trying to get the kid's attention with all the unnecessary stuff. I get it, we are in a different time. All successful teams, including Georgia, Bama, Michigan, etc..do different things to get kids attention, but they have a staff for that. I just don't see the head coaches of these teams acting like Manny. Was Manny a hard worker, absolutely. He just cared too much about insignificant stuff, and the results showed on the field.

Sure, all those moments would have shown Manny in a better light if we would have won more. My issue is why was he personally trying to get the kid's attention with all the unnecessary stuff. I get it, we are in a different time. All successful teams, including Georgia, Bama, Michigan, etc..do different things to get kids attention, but they have a staff for that. I just don't see the head coaches of these teams acting like Manny. Was Manny a hard worker, absolutely. He just cared too much about insignificant stuff, and the results showed on the field.
My guess is he was trying to get kids excited to play for a team that’s been pretty down for the last 20 years. He tried something different and it just didn’t work out. I’ll never hate on Manny like a lot of other posters just because he ended up sucking. That’s on the AD for choosing someone with no HC experience to begin with

Advertisement
Hurts had a lot of struggles before he went to OU.

Manny gave up 778 yards to North Carolina. Hurts doesn't play linebacker.

We are schematically night and day different right now. It may still go down as 8-4 on paper, but there was no potential for success with Manny, even with Hurts.
Yeah, people forget that hurts had some major struggles as a passer while at Baga. That’s why he got passed up by Tua.

Lincoln Riley is the one that worked with Hurts to unleash his throwing potential, and even Jalen has credited him for being instrumental in his development.

Mario wasn’t brought in to be better than 2021 Manny… he’s paid $8M and given massive resources to have the Hurricanes competing on the national level

Advertisement
Back