Difference between Manny and Mario

Advertisement
If Manny landed Jalen Hurts he would probably still be here. Mario wouldn't take no for an answer and it may be what keeps him here beyond year 3-4 if it all works out.
Saban told him to go to OU if he wanted to progress as a passer. But yea I agree that it was a big miss for us at the time. Definitely wanted him over Martell.

I remember the Jalen Hurts thing with us as not even a huge deal that summer, even after that picture of us taking him out to Joe's or wherever. People here were even acknowledging it was more of a "courtesy visit." So, and I don't think I've ever said this about him but, "in Manny's defense" Hurts coming here would've been like reeling in Jaws. Not many level-headed people seriously thought he could, would, or even should've come here.
The difference between Mario and Manny is their strengths and weaknesses that make up the floor and ceiling. Cristobal's recruiting ability can make him competitive in spite of himself.

But this is what I believe. The biggest difference between the two is the respect factor. I don't think people respected Manny Diaz. Little guy, and rich son of a Miami Mayor (who also graduated from Florida St?) who's results at the college level had been a mixed bag. Many times I felt he suffered from a lack of confidence or even imposter syndrome when he addressed media or discussed expectations. Versus a six-foot-four lineman with two rings (who spent many more years of his collegiate and coaching life into South Florida), and who has lived nothing but football since he was a child. I this effects recruiting as well as relationship with coordinators. The expectations were always going to be too big for Manny. Manny's insecurity did motivate him to make a radical coaching change. But his inability to land five star talent and failure to develop a fundamentally sound defense with the talent we had made it so that he'd never win here.

Last edited:
CIS could **** up a wet dream. Off-season magic is back in the air let that **** course through your veins. **** Manny.
That was why I made the thread, this completely changes the trajectory of the program if it doesn't get messed up just like it possibly could of if Manny landed Hurts.

If Manny landed Jalen Hurts he would probably still be here. Mario wouldn't take no for an answer and it may be what keeps him here beyond year 3-4 if it all works out.
I mean sure - that and the fact that they're in different galaxies as recruiters.

Advertisement
The one thing I’ll say about Manny. He brought the swagger. Pulling up on a yacht, crashing the FSU coaching clinic. Those things we legendary. If he had been able to put it all together here, those moments would have been talked about for decades. But the moment was too big for him. It happens. I’m sure he learned a lot of dos/donts from his HC tenure that may make him better in the future. However I do not think we should have been his first HC opportunity

Advertisement
There may be no post in this entire website history that has both more wrong and more right at the same time

It may be what keeps him here beyond year 3-4..
His 10 year 80 million dollar contract keeps him here regardless.. Can’t wait to expose Manny for the little beta ******* fraud he is. My prediction: Pain

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Advertisement
Manny said he had three OCs in mind that were so great that his fourth option would be amazing. He hired Dan Enos a couple of weeks later.

He was nothing but a car salesman/politician.

#TheNewMiami

Mario had the benefit of working for Saban and seeing how a program is run, clearly he's taken more from the roster management / talent acquisition standpoint than actual gameday coaching but it still has helped Mario find success in his resurgence of a HC (Oregon and hopefully here going forward)

Manny was willing to make changes when they were needed (except for on defense) but really he should have never been hired. Miami shouldn't be someone's first HC gig, obviously Manny failed but is it manny's fault or Blake's fault for being a dumbass and hiring him? idk

some have written Mario off already and that may or may not be fair. I've always seen year 3 as the year, we'll learn a lot this coming year, especially since he has accomplished the roster management piece of the gig, and the hiring part with Dawson and Guidry

Advertisement
Manny received a tiny fraction of the financial and organizational commitment that UM gave to Mario to finish 7-6 and 9th in the ACC in his second year. Manny likely signs a non-project high school quarterback recruit if he had a 2 million dollar NIL package to "offer". Or maybe he would have also put that all into a 1 year rental, but I doubt it.

There are more differences, but these are the obvious ones.

The one thing I’ll say about Manny. He brought the swagger. Pulling up on a yacht, crashing the FSU coaching clinic. Those things we legendary. If he had been able to put it all together here, those moments would have been talked about for decades. But the moment was too big for him. It happens. I’m sure he learned a lot of dos/donts from his HC tenure that may make him better in the future. However I do not think we should have been his first HC opportunity.
Manny brought fake swagger. Manny was all about style with no substance. I'll give him credit for the TO chain. That was pretty epic in 2017 when he was the DC, but eventually wore out its welcome and should have been retired at the end of the 2018 season. Instead of focusing on things to make the team better, he put too much energy and effort on things with no substance (TD rings, crashing FSU coaching clinic, etc...). Manny was a dork and wanted so bad to be the tough guy or cool guy. A lot of his antics just made him look like a clown. Plus, he couldn't recruit or develop.

Mario is all about substance, just can't get out of his own way. He can recruit for sure. I won't judge him yet on his development of players but seems to be better than Manny at this point. I'll reserve judgement until the end of this season.

Manny brought fake swagger. Manny was all about style with no substance. I'll give him credit for the TO chain. That was pretty epic in 2017 when he was the DC, but eventually wore out its welcome and should have been retired at the end of the 2018 season. Instead of focusing on things to make the team better, he put too much energy and effort on things with no substance (TD rings, crashing FSU coaching clinic, etc...). Manny was a dork and wanted so bad to be the tough guy or cool guy. A lot of his antics just made him look like a clown. Plus, he couldn't recruit or develop.

Mario is all about substance, just can't get out of his own way. He can recruit for sure. I won't judge him yet on his development of players but seems to be better than Manny at this point. I'll reserve judgement until the end of this season.
That’s basically what I’m saying. If he had been able to put it all together, those moments would go down in Canes history. Instead they are just corny because eventually he showed he couldn’t back it up. But I’ll give him kudos for effort. He tried to get kids attention by doing all that stuff to make us look like a cool spot to come play. It just didn’t pan out the way he thought it would

Advertisement
Back