Did you know?

supacane

Senior
So I was looking up some stats on how many sacks we gave up last season because I remember pass blocking being much better than run blocking. We were bad, 30 sacks given up and #80 in the country. We were even worse at plays that gain no yards or lost yards in the run game. Like in the 120s bad. If you wanna look for tangible changes throughout the season, watch those.

In looking up those stats though, I seen Bama gave up 41 sacks, 11 more than we did good for #120 in the country. Of course they played 15 games and we played 12. But if you look per game, they gave up 2.73 good for #104 in the country which was still worse than us. Wtf is that about? That's alot of sacks and hits on Bryce. Hits we don't have a way to track.
Ohio St was #15 and UGA #6, to compare with teams they are probably gonna be fighting for the title.

Advertisement
Feelings Pants GIF

Advertisement
We were 10th in pass attempts per game, so unless its sacks allowed per pass attempt I'm not drawing any meaningful conclusions. Case in point, Army is number 1 on the linked list (and 129th in pass attempts per game).

I also think our pass protection got better once Clark was starting at C. Would be interested to see our sacks allowed per pass attempt before and after his insertion into the starting lineup.

Or..... They had more blowouts and many of those sacks were not on their starting QB?

the way Lashlees offense was going with TVD, the run game should have been much better

But we saw it a lot where we would line up and the defense knew exactly what run was coming

So it’s why I liked Lashlee a lot but I think just calling him “QB friendly” because he had an easy offense to understand and be successful in also doesn’t tell the entire story

Advertisement
So I was looking up some stats on how many sacks we gave up last season because I remember pass blocking being much better than run blocking. We were bad, 30 sacks given up and #80 in the country. We were even worse at plays that gain no yards or lost yards in the run game. Like in the 120s bad. If you wanna look for tangible changes throughout the season, watch those.

In looking up those stats though, I seen Bama gave up 41 sacks, 11 more than we did good for #120 in the country. Of course they played 15 games and we played 12. But if you look per game, they gave up 2.73 good for #104 in the country which was still worse than us. Wtf is that about? That's alot of sacks and hits on Bryce. Hits we don't have a way to track.
Ohio St was #15 and UGA #6, to compare with teams they are probably gonna be fighting for the title.

Bama fans complained about their oline last year tho, good stuff either way

We were 10th in pass attempts per game, so unless its sacks allowed per pass attempt I'm not drawing any meaningful conclusions. Case in point, Army is number 1 on the linked list (and 129th in pass attempts per game).

I also think our pass protection got better once Clark was starting at C. Would be interested to see our sacks allowed per pass attempt before and after his insertion into the starting lineup.
Good point. Air Force is 3rd on that list and they usually only throw it when they have to (much like Army)

Pass attempts is important context and how long the pass is designed for is also important. Quick screens and short passes will have no sacks but intermediate and long passes will have a lot more.

The information posted by OP lacks enough context or supporting evidence to draw any meaningful conclusions

Context matters in terms of numbers per pass attempt but regardless in volume terms that's alot of hits. CJ Stroud threw alot of passes and they were 15th in the nation and their fans were not too excited about their OL. Of course not all those sacks were on Bryce Young, but he got hits too that were not sacks. So whether by poor OL play or by them throwing too much, I would think Saban was not happy about that. He is only like 6'0

Advertisement
Context matters in terms of numbers per pass attempt but regardless in volume terms that's alot of hits. CJ Stroud threw alot of passes and they were 15th in the nation and their fans were not too excited about their OL. Of course not all those sacks were on Bryce Young, but he got hits too that were not sacks. So whether by poor OL play or by them throwing too much, I would think Saban was not happy about that. He is only like 6'0
Perhaps Bryce was caught trying to extend plays rather than dumping the ball off or throwing it away.

And how many of those sacks were against UGA (2X), TAMU, or Auburn? IIRC Auburn was aggressive all game, and collected quite a few sacks.

Advertisement
Back