Did Gray Crow "retire"?

The U Code

Redshirt Freshman
Haven't seen or heard anything about him, seems like Rosier, and Vinnie Jr are splitting the reps with the 2's. So did he quit or just simply get passed by a walk-on?

Advertisement
Advertisement
We really should make a list of things that are repeated on this site but people ask about 35 times:

1) Gray Crow was switched to H-back/TE last year so it is unlikely that he would be getting reps at qb (but it still entertains me when people call him Gary)
2) You can count early enrollees towards the prior class until you hit your 25 scholarship per class maximum
3) Because we have such high attrition, Jrs and Srs like Crow aren't really taking up space because we could sign the max number of players and still not hit 85, our incoming class size is the limiting factor (but agree with Consigliere that he shouldn't have been a take in the first place)
4) Coaches recruit primarily by area and secondarily by position, so Kehoe recruiting a defensive back in Tampa isn't strange because he has that area

I am sure there are 50 others I am missing.

I have no idea what coach golden saw in Gray Crow that made him want to offer him a scholarship. The kid was never productive as a QB in HS. I've followed recruiting for decades and can never remember a kid being productive in college after being unproductive in HS.

This is not a knock on the kid himself. By all accounts he's good kid and hard worker. But I simply cannot understand how that kid earned an offer as a QB.

We really should make a list of things that are repeated on this site but people ask about 35 times:

1) Gray Crow was switched to H-back/TE last year so it is unlikely that he would be getting reps at qb (but it still entertains me when people call him Gary)
2) You can count early enrollees towards the prior class until you hit your 25 scholarship per class maximum
3) Because we have such high attrition, Jrs and Srs like Crow aren't really taking up space because we could sign the max number of players and still not hit 85, our incoming class size is the limiting factor (but agree with Consigliere that he shouldn't have been a take in the first place)
4) Coaches recruit primarily by area and secondarily by position, so Kehoe recruiting a defensive back in Tampa isn't strange because he has that area

I am sure there are 50 others I am missing.

5) Can he play DT?

Advertisement
I have no idea what coach golden saw in Gray Crow that made him want to offer him a scholarship. The kid was never productive as a QB in HS. I've followed recruiting for decades and can never remember a kid being productive in college after being unproductive in HS.

This is not a knock on the kid himself. By all accounts he's good kid and hard worker. But I simply cannot understand how that kid earned an offer as a QB.

this... I was saying the same thing...

Hopefully he transfers to Michigan so he can be with Jedd Fisch who recruited out of high school

He took Landon Collin's place on the roster..Came to the "U" because it was his only offer...Thanks again Al.

People in our area were stunned when he got his offer. He is by all accounts a great young man, perhaps he will be a GA and go on to coaching greatness, but his physical ability did not rate a D1 offer. He did get an offer from Weis at ND before he got fired.

Advertisement
I'm a huge Gray Crow fan. He has been all Cane since he's been here and has done everything that has been asked of him. You need a few solid locker room old citizens on your team.

Jedd Fisch blew at HS QB Evaluations

Advertisement
For goodness sake just put him out of his misery and cut him he's a waste of space.

Not productive on the field does not mean he isn't valuable in other ways. He probably has the same role here that walk-ons have elsewhere (charting plays, signalling, etc.), which is still valuable. Roster and recruiting management issues have plagued this staff from the outset...some of their own doing, and some inherited from the last staff. This is certainly another of example of that, and the current staff earned the bashing they get for it, but there's no point bashing a kid for doing whatever he can to help.

Jedd Fisch blew at HS QB Evaluations

Temple mental

Advertisement
Back