Did anyone hear Diaz on QAM this morning?

Joe [paraphrased]: Manny are you excited about the Florida game in a week and a half.

Manny [paraphrased]: No Joe, I'd rather go school clothes shopping with my kids at the mall that day instead.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Advertisement
I think hes much more needed at safety. Carters coverage abilities are unknown. Knowles is knowles. Derrick smith is transitioning back to safety, he has questions about his range and ability to play in space. Keontre is a freshman. Gurvan is a stud. Bubba should stay there and hopefully take the starting job eventually.

Speaking of, do we expect him to get meaningful snaps this year?

I'm willing to give a little time since he's a late arrival but if this kid isn't the focus of our defensive scheming by the FSU game then I think you really have to cut your losses and get rid of Blake Baker. Let Manny take full control of the D back for the remainder of 2019 and then spend some $$$ on a REAL DC.

Really interested in that OL remark. How well did that OL unit actually play, at least in the 2nd half? And was it 1 on 1?

Thank you for the link. The 3 things that hit me is that Cam is fine,the running game was pretty good at the scrimmage and he mentioned Jordan Miller on the Dline don't know much about the kid.

No one really knows much.... he carried a lot of bad soft weight coming out of HS but showed good burst and first step. Played against poor comp and his recruiting profile was not huge, he was a late last minute riser pulling in a few big offers. Now he looks stronger and helped reshape his body.

Advertisement
No one really knows much.... he carried a lot of bad soft weight coming out of HS but showed good burst and first step. Played against poor comp and his recruiting profile was not huge, he was a late last minute riser pulling in a few big offers. Now he looks stronger and helped reshape his body.

Thanks I heard the VT transfer had a nice scrimmage a few sacks surprised Manny did not mention him.

I think hes much more needed at safety. Carters coverage abilities are unknown. Knowles is knowles. Derrick smith is transitioning back to safety, he has questions about his range and ability to play in space. Keontre is a freshman. Gurvan is a stud. Bubba should stay there and hopefully take the starting job eventually.

Derrick played safety in HS he has plenty of range there is a youtube video in the HS championship game where he had a one handed interception and can hit you lights out put a guy flat out on a sideline hit.

I also expect to see Bolden get some time at corner early this year, but I do think he'll end the year as one of our top 3 safeties. That all assumes good health for our DB's. It's quicker to get him on the field as a slot or nickel corner and get him up to game speed and see what he puts on film and how he handles and responds to coaching before putting him out there as the final defense at S.

We saw it with Jaquan, we saw it with Redwine to some extent. Given this guy's pedigree and late arrival, that's the fastest way to incorporate/indoctrinate him and we happen to have some need there.

Advertisement
Summary:

— Diaz said eliminating critical errors, accuracy, decision making, and the x-factor were what he/Enos valued. All three guys could do that, but Jarren was the best option because of his arm talent and instincts of knowing where to go with the ball.

— When asked about the OL, Diaz said he’s not necessarily concerned. Acknowledged improvement. Stated that they ran the ball well in the scrimmage.

— On how Martell/Perry took the news, Diaz said he told all of them that they progressed. They all took it well. The message was “let’s get back to work.” Believes the team will rally around Jarren.

— Not ready to announce depth chart yet. Still a couple positions where battles are taking place as they continue to prep for UF.

— Diaz said the staff are encouraged with the DT depth, even with Nesta out, because of Ford, Bethel, Chigozie, and Miller.

— Update on Cam Harris: Diaz said he’s healthy and ran the ball really well yesterday. Pointed out that Deejay has also had a really good camp.

— Laughed about the possibility of using a lot of two tight end sets. Said the idea is to create favorable matchups.

— On Bubba Bolden, Diaz says he’s learning at the moment. Today will be his first day in full pads. Training him at a bunch of different spots in the secondary to find the best fit for him.

— When asked if it’s been an adjustment in transitioning from being a DC to HC, Diaz said he’s still highly involved on the defensive side of the ball because championship level defense is a necessity at Miami. Also mentioned that he has full confidence in Enos and Baker.

— Updates on Lingard and Phillips: Diaz explained that Phillips is not eligible to play this year. On Lingard, Diaz says his confidence is going up with each day as his workload is increased. He’s excited to see what he can do.

Advertisement
Amazing that people STILL ask about Phillips in relation to this year.

i didn't hear how joe rose asked the question but it's still unclear when phillips will be medically cleared to play football and practice right? manny has kind of hid behind the shield of "it doesn't really matter since he can't play this year" when asked about it, but it is a legitimate question. if he's going to be the player people are expecting for 2020 we should hear about him on the scout team this year like we did gerald willis.

Advertisement
i didn't hear how joe rose asked the question but it is still unclear when phillips will be medically cleared to play football and practice right? manny has kind of hid behind the shield of "it doesn't really matter since he can't play this year" when asked about it, but it is a legitimate question. if he's going to be the player people are expecting for 2020 we should hear about him on the scout team this year like we did gerald willis.

Fair enough as I didn't hear the actual question either and was just going by the summary here. You'd still think it'd register in Joe Rose's plus size noggin though that even a health related/scout team inquiry about a kid a year away from eligibility should probably be a pretty low priority question to Manny essentially a week prior to THIS season and THIS game.

I'd be more forgiving and inclined to believe they actually know the kid isn't eligible if someone was just checking the status/progress of the kid later in the year like maybe during a slow week leading up to the Central Michigan game or something.

Advertisement
Back