Diaz was not a bad hire

Diaz has done the bare minimum you'd expect from a competent coach at Miami when it comes to recruiting. To say anything other than that is a gross exaggeration. I'm actually really worried about our defensive staff now. Diaz hasn't been all that personally involved in landing our major recruits, our LB's development has stalled at best, Rumph can't recruit and the rest of the staff is one of the most under-qualified in the P5.

We needed a major shake up with the defensive staff and instead we're getting no change at all.

This is the real problem with the hire

Advertisement
Time will tell, but I’m not optimistic.

If you asked me a day ago, I would take Manny over Richt in a second.

Once Richt cleared the decks, I expected (hoped for would really be a more accurate description) an adult driven process guided by experts in finding the best coach possible.

This should have taken two weeks, not 6-8 hours.

We clearly did not have a process. Instead, we had a panicked overreaction designed purely to protect the job of one Blake James.

I like Manny, a lot. I really do. But this situation sets him up to fail.

Can this work? Yeah, I guess we could get lucky, but he’s got his work cut out for him. I’ll hold my lead for now.

That said, this does not give any of us confidence that the people making the big decisions have any ******* clue whatsoever as to what they are doing. There were a TON of great candidates for this job who weren’t given any look at all.

We played this like sheep, not like a lion.

Good luck and God bless Manny. He’s going to need both.

I can’t up vote this enough.
Perfectly stated !!
Thank you.

Reading the board most of today, most fans wanted a hire that brought some identity and the Manny Diaz hire does it. Diaz defense is fast and aggressive and Diaz is not a CEO.

Diaz defense has been good for our recruiting base because SFLA athletes like to play fast and they don't want to all that read and react crap that Golden brought. Now you have to ask yourself what type of offense Diaz would want to run? I expect his desired offense to be in the mold of his defense, aggressive and fast. If Diaz brings in an OC that implements a fast and aggressive offense then he is not going to have issues recruiting.

I will end by saying I don't know if Diaz is going to work out any more than Clemson knew if Dabo was but I do think Diaz is a smart guy and understands what we need to win.

It is not fast. I didn’t see people asking for identity. This was a set up they whole way, stop trying to cover it up. They made a deal. You will be banning everyone soon because this hire is starting off in third year with no grace period. Fan base is DOA.

Advertisement
We’re so close to being dominant. We just need a Hc, a DC, an OC, a QB coach, a QB, multiple OLs and DLs, WRs who can catch, LBs who play like LBU backers, special teams that don’t suck, an S&C program that does it’s job, roster depth, competitiveness, and recruiting momentum. If we had those things, we’d be close.
we need a OC, QBs, motivators, good players,
schemes, teams, stars, wars, thrillers, killers, takers, playmakers... YOU NAME IT!
1546237181182.gif

Hah. Check the stats. Here's how his defense ranked nationally versus the following very important categories (source cfbstats.com):

Yrds/Play
In losses: 4th
Ranked teams: 5th
In conference: 4th
All FBS: 3rd
FBS teams with win record: 6th
Power 5: 8th

3rd Down Def
Ranked teams: 2nd
All FBS: 1st
FBS teams with win record: 4th
Power 5: 7th

Ellte across the board. Clearly can't be blamed for the inept offense and poor punting field positions during losses. But keep running that narrative

You must not have watched the games. Who care's about stats that were inflated playing in the mighty Coastal div. Even a mediocre Wisconsin showed how much that TFL stat meant when they were gashing us for 10 yards a clip (in the first qtr). And we haven't even faced the Clemson's , Bama's, and OSU's in years.

Advertisement
Miami couldn't wait 24 hours to hire someone with ZERO HC experience. It's beyond obvious that Blake James didn't have a plan, he didn't even have ONE candidate name on a list. This is a panic hire, and for it everyone involved should be ashamed. Diaz isn't a strong recruiter, some people still believe his tactical acumen is a bit overstated, and this is the guy Miami is going with. Miami didn't even do a cursory search. The odds of this hire working out is less than 10%. That's how bad it is. What's even more infuriating is that Miami could have easily had any number of **** good mid major guys. Guys that are experienced, with legitimate eyes for talent. Did I mention that it would have gone a long way to restoring faith in the athletic department? No, that would have been too rational.

The only positive concerning this hire is I’m certain that the Temple fan who was trolling our board when Manny left is probably in tears right now.

Advertisement
I like the hire as long as he clears house on offensive coaching and hires a real o cordinator… what has Kiffin or Mario ever done to make either of them more qualified for the job…asking for a friend

We won't know if he was a "bad" hire for some time. What we DO know is that he was yet another lazy hire. Another guy hired before the ink was dry on the last guy's departure and a guy for whom significant questions about his ability to assume a HC position at this program linger. Another reach for inexplicable reasons. Maybe he'll work out, maybe he won't, but we'll never know if a better guy could/would have emerged. This is the very definition of fait accompli and it is yet another despicable act of incompetence by Blake James.

Hah. Check the stats. Here's how his defense ranked nationally versus the following very important categories (source cfbstats.com):

Yrds/Play
Ranked teams: 5th
All FBS: 3rd
FBS teams with win record: 6th
Power 5: 8th

3rd Down Def
Ranked teams: 2nd
All FBS: 1st
FBS teams with win record: 4th
Power 5: 7th

Ellte across the board. Clearly can't be blamed for the inept offense and poor punting field positions during losses. But keep running that narrative

Yea check the stats last year when we played at least a few average offenses. How did Logan Woodside, Kurt Benkert, Kelly Bryant, Alex Hornibrook and others do against this vaunted D? those stats you puked up are the definition of fake news

Advertisement
A top-15 job in the entire sport just gave the job to a first time HC without so much as a coaching search. Diaz was at Hecht today, but did they really have time to get a plan from him for his offense, names for a staff he'd put together, and a plan on what he's going to do with the defense?

Did they actually take the time to take his plan and put it to the data test to see how it compares to other top-notch programs? What are Diaz's thoughts on hiring more analysts to bring this program closer to the modern era? I've been told he's huge on analytics, so maybe he did express all of these thoughts to the admin and they decided he was the best candidate, but this sure doesn't sound like an inspiring search process to me.

Look, I'm just a Finance guy with a background in data, an MBA, and a Sports Management undergrad, so I do not have the experience of being a decision maker for a major college football program. That said, if you brought this process to me when I was in corporate America, you'd be out on your backside for exposing the company to tons of risk.

There is absolutely a path to success for Manny Diaz here, but I sure would've liked to have the powers that be analyze the things he said in his plan a lot more than they would've had time to do today.

Advertisement
Back