Diaz was not a bad hire

Advertisement
Diaz has done the bare minimum you'd expect from a competent coach at Miami when it comes to recruiting. To say anything other than that is a gross exaggeration. I'm actually really worried about our defensive staff now. Diaz hasn't been all that personally involved in landing our major recruits, our LB's development has stalled at best, Rumph can't recruit and the rest of the staff is one of the most under-qualified in the P5.

We needed a major shake up with the defensive staff and instead we're getting no change at all.

Some good points but "not a bad hire" is also not the same as a great hire.

He needs to make staff changes and i fear he won't. He needs to recruit better. Our front 7 recruiting has been lacking for years. We got LUCKY with a guy like Willis. With him out against Wisconsin, we were @ss.
Who would have been a great hire? None of that is known until years down the road

Advertisement
No HC experience and he's never been under a very successful HC either. Sounds like he will be a winner

You are right, no HC experience, but a HC is either a winner or not. We are not going to hire anyone who has won titles and hiring guys like Leach, Cristobal or Kiffin would be repeating the Richt hire. At least with Manny we have hope.

Diaz has worked at some big schools and carries himself much better than Shannon. Diaz is a mayor son, he understands relationships and politics.

That's great but...

1. Does he understand the spread / air raid offense and hire an innovative OC he has no relation to? Or does he settle for a friend or someone who runs pro-style cause the "Old Miami" 20 years was successful with it...

2. Does he understand how to ******* look Richt's son in the eye and fire his clown ***? And Searles? And Brown? Or does he not want to hurt the staff and his friend's feelings...

IDGAF if he cant do those 2 things, this hire is a disaster. If he can, then ok let's ******* ride.

Most people who have seen my post know I saw what I think. A lot of my post are not very popular. The whole situation is fluid and the OC hire will either solidify my opinion and make me realize I was way ******* wrong, there is no middle grown.
He better blow the OC hire out the ***, it better be a proven guy top dollar type. And I want to see how he closes on NSD, if he doesnt get into the top 5 and close on Saban sfla targets then he will fail. I will be paying attention to those things cause those are my red flags

Advertisement
Horribly lazy hire. How can you not interview and at least make a search? We hired another Temple coach before he head coached Temple! That being said, my only hope is that he saw how frustrated his defense was with that joke of an offense. That he needs to bring in an OC that will score early and often. Then he can have his defense put the blinders on and attack. Who cares if they get torched here and there? That’s my only hope. He looked incredibly frustrated with Mork and couldn’t wait to get out. As disgusted as I am with the hire I am hoping and praying he gets a young gunner in there to put up points.

You are right, no HC experience, but a HC is either a winner or not. We are not going to hire anyone who has won titles and hiring guys like Leach, Cristobal or Kiffin would be repeating the Richt hire. At least with Manny we have hope.
We will see who he hires on offense. My guess is going to be another Green coach who shouldn't be a coach at Miami.

As my anger over this hire is beginning to subside a little bit, I'm becoming more amenable to the idea that Richt made the Diaz hire happen by agreeing to forgo a large buyout in exchange for "certain considerations". While it was pretty magnanimous of him to pass on the cash, nobody passes on such a windfall simply out of the goodness of their heart. If JR stays on the staff, the evidence will be convincing enough for me that this is what happened. Either way, we are in a better position today than we were yesterday. I'd have preferred a real coaching search ending in the hiring of a high potential candidate but at this point I'll take it and move on.

Advertisement
That's great but...

1. Does he understand the spread / air raid offense and hire an innovative OC he has no relation too? Or does he settle for a friend or someone who runs pro-style cause the "Old Miami" 20 years was successful with it...

2. Does he understand how to ******* look Richt's son in the eye and fire his clown ***? And Searles? And Brown? Or does he not want to hurt the staff and his friend's feelings...

IDGAF if he cant do those 2 things, this hire is a disaster. If he can, then ok let's ******* ride.

He understands modern offenses, Richt probably did too. I think Manny is going to want to run whatever he feels is best for his recruiting base, fast and aggressive.

I want a team that throws haymakers, this is Miami.

I want an AD and BOT that throws haymakers so that Miami can be Miami again.

I'm happy to roll with Manny...well spoken and SOLID, not great, defensive guy. What do I hear the most out of the U? He represents the University well.

Great, now represent the players and fans well and get the best coaching available by recognizing the seat your now in with no experience...tell James how it will need to be...

Advertisement
He was an awful hire and a lazy one. BTW, Swinney won a national title as a player. He coached for Stallings. Dude at least has been part of a winning program and tradition. Yes, nobody knew if Dabo would work out after Bowden resigned. Seriously, what has Diaz won as an assistant or coordinator? A conference title?
Weird, I was at the U in 92. I remember the title game. I remember Alabama rednecks beating us. No memory of Dabo. Was he s big part of the title run? I do remember him working at the local grocery store.

Looks like there was never a coaching search at all. Richt just retired and turned the reins over to Diaz. Quick and easy. So typically UM.

If Manny hires the likes of Banda and Patke on offense we are screwed

Advertisement
Back