Diaz wants Canes to prove they can "take a punch"

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
DiazMiami.jpg

Miami’s defense leads the country in sacks and tackles for loss. They are 2nd nationally against the run, 3rd in total points allowed, and 11th in total yards allowed. Regardless of the competition, this is how Canes fans had hoped to see the defense playing at this juncture.

Defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is not impressed, though.

“We still haven’t shown anything on defense, offense, as a football team – until we have proven that we can take a punch. Anybody can play when it’s 70-3,” Diaz said.

“The Miami Hurricanes have not shown anything different. When things are good, we’re good. But that’s not what defines great teams. Great teams are defined by when things are bad, we’re still good.”

“Playing on the road, with everybody yelling at you, the atmosphere is going to be electric. We’ve got guys that have never traveled in a college game before. I think there’s guys who have never been on an airplane before,” Miami’s DC added.

The linebackers, despite concerns about depth and experience, have been tremendous for the Hurricanes defense. What they lack in experience, they’ve made up for with speed and instincts.

“They have keys. In a one-gap system, they’re responsible for aligning in their gap and keying whatever their movement key is – whether it’s a back or a tight end or whatever it is on that particular week,” Diaz said. “We do talk about when we see what we need to see that we get there fast. That’s why guys like the young guys have embraced that and not tired to complicate the game.”

“When you don’t have experienced guys, you have to break things down in a simple manner, where they can be aggressive going where they need to go.”

Darrion Owens saw his first game action for Miami last week against FAU since undergoing knee surgery from about a year ago. Coach Richt said today that he still sees a “little hitch in his giddy-up” when referring to Owens, but Diaz explained that the snaps he played last week were moreso about getting his feet wet.

“For weeks now, the doctors have been telling him, ‘your knee is structurally sound’, Diaz said. “So it was not an issue of being able to injure yourself further, but you have to just be around loud noises and get up from those collisions and say ‘everything is still ok’.”

“We need him, for sure. Even just the 20-someodd snaps he gave us on Saturday were important, and that’s probably going to have to grow as time goes on – not just because of his age and experience, but certainly because of his size. He adds a little bit of a different element inside.”

On this week’s matchup with Appalachian State, Diaz praised their ability to run the football.

“They’re a blue-collared, hard-nosed football team,” Diaz said. “Our guys are fully aware of what they do in the run game.”

“They’re an inside-and-outside zone team. They’re going to run it and then you’re gonna stop it and then they're going to say ‘stop it again’. It’s a battle of wills.”

Their rushing attack is spearheaded by Marcus Cox, who has gone over 100 yards in each of the first two weeks.

“He knows where the cuts are and he does a great job of getting in-and-out of the tackle box. Once he sees the hole, ‘bang’ you’ll see him explode through there,” Diaz said.

The key for Miami’s defense to limit the effect of their ground game might be more psychological than physical.

“You have to be in the mood to stop the run on every play. If you just lose your attention span for a little bit…the four-yard gains become 14-yard gains or more than that.

Visit CanesWear.com for your Miami Hurricanes apparel needs! CanesWear will have the new fall line of DymeLyfe in stock this week.

Advertisement
...“We still haven’t shown anything on defense, offense, as a football team – until we have proven that we can take a punch. Anybody can play when it’s 70-3,” Diaz said.

“The Miami Hurricanes have not shown anything different. When things are good, we’re good. But that’s not what defines great teams. Great teams are defined by when things are bad, we’re still good.”...

Exactly.

This type of leadership has been missing from the Hurricane program for far to long.

This game is a small, but important step, in exorcising the demons of lost seasons past.

Go Canes. Unleash ****.

Advertisement
Like coach, I won't acknowledge the first game stats. We saw in the first half what a decent team can do to us. App Store will be another good test based on what they did against vols. Oct. 1, GT, marks the true beginning of our season. We've had a much needed 3 preseason games to adapt to new everything and 3 freshmen LB. Put up or shut up!

Intangilbles are often overlooked because of stats but one thing I have noticed about this team is that they are playing a lot smarter. On third downs our D is stopping people before the first down marker and the O is at least running plays to get beyond it. Props to competent coaching.

Even 2 games in, even considering the competition, those are impressive numbers. Our last coach couldn't have put up those kind of numbers against HS teams. I assume we're getting close to last year's TFL and sack totals.

Dont give me bull**** stats after playing FAU and FAMU, you're going to get me in a bad mood...you're giving me flashbacks of our "TOP 10" defense under Folden and Dorito.

Advertisement
We need to see if Diaz can "take a punch" too, in his coaching ability.

I'm happy with the style of defense were playing, but we'll be facing offenses at some point this season that'll have some answers for us. Then we'll see if Diaz can take a punch, too....

I trust our DL will be fine with Kuligowski running the show.

We'll know a little bit more after this game and a lot more after the FSU game....

Hopefully we'll find out that Diaz is capable of having a consistent top 10 defense - which is what Miami almost always has when we have competent coaching....

View attachment 38523

Miami’s defense leads the country in sacks and tackles for loss. They are 2nd nationally against the run, 3rd in total points allowed, and 11th in total yards allowed. Regardless of the competition, this is how Canes fans had hoped to see the defense playing at this juncture.

Defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is not impressed, though.

“We still haven’t shown anything on defense, offense, as a football team – until we have proven that we can take a punch. Anybody can play when it’s 70-3,” Diaz said.

“The Miami Hurricanes have not shown anything different. When things are good, we’re good. But that’s not what defines great teams. Great teams are defined by when things are bad, we’re still good.”

“Playing on the road, with everybody yelling at you, the atmosphere is going to be electric. We’ve got guys that have never traveled in a college game before. I think there’s guys who have never been on an airplane before,” Miami’s DC added.

The linebackers, despite concerns about depth and experience, have been tremendous for the Hurricanes defense. What they lack in experience, they’ve made up for with speed and instincts.

“They have keys. In a one-gap system, they’re responsible for aligning in their gap and keying whatever their movement key is – whether it’s a back or a tight end or whatever it is on that particular week,” Diaz said. “We do talk about when we see what we need to see that we get there fast. That’s why guys like the young guys have embraced that and not tired to complicate the game.”

“When you don’t have experienced guys, you have to break things down in a simple manner, where they can be aggressive going where they need to go.”

Darrion Owens saw his first game action for Miami last week against FAU since undergoing knee surgery from about a year ago. Coach Richt said today that he still sees a “little hitch in his giddy-up” when referring to Owens, but Diaz explained that the snaps he played last week were moreso about getting his feet wet.

“For weeks now, the doctors have been telling him, ‘your knee is structurally sound’, Diaz said. “So it was not an issue of being able to injure yourself further, but you have to just be around loud noises and get up from those collisions and say ‘everything is still ok’.”

“We need him, for sure. Even just the 20-someodd snaps he gave us on Saturday were important, and that’s probably going to have to grow as time goes on – not just because of his age and experience, but certainly because of his size. He adds a little bit of a different element inside.”

On this week’s matchup with Appalachian State, Diaz praised their ability to run the football.

“They’re a blue-collared, hard-nosed football team,” Diaz said. “Our guys are fully aware of what they do in the run game.”

“They’re an inside-and-outside zone team. They’re going to run it and then you’re gonna stop it and then they're going to say ‘stop it again’. It’s a battle of wills.”

Their rushing attack is spearheaded by Marcus Cox, who has gone over 100 yards in each of the first two weeks.

“He knows where the cuts are and he does a great job of getting in-and-out of the tackle box. Once he sees the hole, ‘bang’ you’ll see him explode through there,” Diaz said.

The key for Miami’s defense to limit the effect of their ground game might be more psychological than physical.

“You have to be in the mood to stop the run on every play. If you just lose your attention span for a little bit…the four-yard gains become 14-yard gains or more than that.

Visit CanesWear.com for your Miami Hurricanes apparel needs! CanesWear will have the new fall line of DymeLyfe in stock this week.

Sneakily, one of your best reporting articles yet. Lots and lots of good insight in there. Manny's good for a quote, but you also were able to report on what he's focused on. When he talks about the defense "taking a punch," I think he's talking about himself as much, if not more, than the players. He knows his rep. He knows how things went from good to great to a disaster. And, now a chance to be spectacular with our athletes.

Killing it, my dude.

Advertisement
Season and stats begin w\ GA Tech.

Beat these clowns, get outta Boone healthy after this 3 rd pre-season game. After this week, we'll see if we're any good or not.

Like coach, I won't acknowledge the first game stats. We saw in the first half what a decent team can do to us. App Store will be another good test based on what they did against vols. Oct. 1, GT, marks the true beginning of our season. We've had a much needed 3 preseason games to adapt to new everything and 3 freshmen LB. Put up or shut up!

You're calling a game in which were favored by a field goal a preseason game. that's pretty crazy.

Advertisement
Even 2 games in, even considering the competition, those are impressive numbers. Our last coach couldn't have put up those kind of numbers against HS teams. I assume we're getting close to last year's TFL and sack totals.

Yeah, like the time we gave up 114 yards to FAMU. Those teams weren't the problem for the last staff, it was anyone with a pulse. Do you remember 77-7 against one of those high school teams, with shortened quarters in the second half? These games mean NOTHING, unless you're struggling terribly. Now, I like the way our D has looked, and I'm really enjoying the overall aggression. I want to see it working against better teams before claiming we are back. I'm enjoying it so far, but stats against these teams mean nothing, unless the stats are terrible.

View attachment 38523

This tid bit is exactly what i've been posting here yet roasted for. Time for you all to roast Diaz now because he is showing some "respek".

You're an idiot if you don't think this game is gonna be a fight. Stop overlooking this game

Season and stats begin w\ GA Tech.

Beat these clowns, get outta Boone healthy after this 3 rd pre-season game. After this week, we'll see if we're any good or not.

Advertisement
Back