Diaz updates Jordan's status, talks Louisville, Senior Day

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Coming off the 27-10 win over rival Florida State, head coach Manny Diaz is looking to prevent a letdown game against Louisville this week and build consistency within his team.

“This week has been good,” Diaz said. “Yesterday started slow and finished great; today started really good and I’ll have to talk with staff and see how it went on both fields, but it went well. We are exploring what last Saturday was about, and what I mean is - Is that a performance where we put it together or is that a one-off thing? Now it’s about consistency of performance and the challenge of being the same team every week.

“The way to do that is be the same operation in here. Your confidence on Saturday comes from execution on Wednesday. And we’re holding that in their faces, to be honest. Because we have not done that, and we’re playing a team we have a lot of respect for in Louisville… (It’s) Senior Day, we should be highly motivated to play on Saturday.”

TE Brevin Jordan is recovering from an injury suffered against FSU, and it’s unclear if he can go vs. the Cardinals on Saturday.

“He is getting better every day,” Diaz said of Jordan. “At this point, I would probably say Brevin would be a game-time decision.”

* DT Nesta Silvera enjoyed his best game as a Cane at Florida State, Diaz said.

“This was his best game, in fact there’s a lot of our inside guys that probably played their best game,” Diaz said. “Our tackles were dominant. It was really good to see Nesta play the way he played, his disruption, his energy. His motor is the thing that stands out. That’s why we’re so fortunate to roll five guys (at tackle, where players go all out every down and can get breathers as needed).”

* Diaz said that LB Shaq Quarterman

“did something three or four weeks ago - Shaq has been playing at a very high level for a very long time here - but something went to another gear about halftime of the Georgia Tech game. His play, he almost won us the Georgia Tech game on his own. And then Pitt, FSU last week - (his play) has gone to another level.

“(He said) I am here to be the change, to be part of the rebuild - and when I say rebuild I’m talking about rebuilding the confidence of what our guys are doing in the locker room, saying `Watch me, follow me, this is how you play.’ That above all things has been most impressive.”

With Miami’s final home game of the season coming against Louisville on Saturday, it will be Senior Day for much of the 2016 recruiting class – in other words, the first class of freshman Diaz coached at UM.

“It shows how quickly this all goes, in the blink of an eye it feels you get dropped off as a freshman, all of a sudden running out for the last time as a senior,” Diaz said. “It does go fast, and all the different memories.”

Both senior linebackers Quarterman and Mike Pinckney will be playing in their last home game at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, and Diaz felt it was time to have some fun in the film room.

“We put on the FAMU game, their first game ever, and they were laughing hysterically,” Diaz said. “They admitted this back then, they were like `Coach, we had no idea what we were doing out there’, were running around like chickens with their heads cut off. So that was fun to see how they developed over time.”

Diaz also admitted that both Quarterman and Pinckney have become the standard in terms of what he looks for in players in recruiting to try and find similar personalities and leadership qualities.

"Guys that have that personality that other guys are drawn to them, that they can be a leader,” Diaz said. “A lot of times what you're looking for when you go and evaluate a high school prospect - you can tell on film if they can play in the games. You need to go and watch practice and find out how much they love the game, how much they love the work."

Now at 5-4, Miami is one win away from bowl eligibility, something Diaz feels is key for many reasons.

“It’s of massive importance,” Diaz said. “Number one, just from a player development standpoint, just the extra practice and chance you have to get more reps for our freshmen who are redshirting or younger guys to get more experience of how to work, what our expectation is here. All that’s in front of us, in our control.”

Advertisement
Coming off the 27-10 win over rival Florida State, head coach Manny Diaz is looking to prevent a letdown game against Louisville this week and build consistency within his team.

“This week has been good,” Diaz said. “Yesterday started slow and finished great; today started really good and I’ll have to talk with staff and see how it went on both fields, but it went well. We are exploring what last Saturday was about, and what I mean is - Is that a performance where we put it together or is that a one-off thing? Now it’s about consistency of performance and the challenge of being the same team every week.

“The way to do that is be the same operation in here. Your confidence on Saturday comes from execution on Wednesday. And we’re holding that in their faces, to be honest. Because we have not done that, and we’re playing a team we have a lot of respect for in Louisville… (It’s) Senior Day, we should be highly motivated to play on Saturday.”

TE Brevin Jordan is recovering from an injury suffered against FSU, and it’s unclear if he can go vs. the Cardinals on Saturday.

“He is getting better every day,” Diaz said of Jordan. “At this point, I would probably say Brevin would be a game-time decision.”

“This was his best game, in fact there’s a lot of our inside guys that probably played their best game,” Diaz said. “Our tackles were dominant. It was really good to see Nesta play the way he played, his disruption, his energy. His motor is the thing that stands out. That’s why we’re so fortunate to roll five guys (at tackle, where players go all out every down and can get breathers as needed).”

“did something three or four weeks ago - Shaq has been playing at a very high level for a very long time here - but something went to another gear about halftime of the Georgia Tech game. His play, he almost won us the Georgia Tech game on his own. And then Pitt, FSU last week - (his play) has gone to another level.

“(He said) I am here to be the change, to be part of the rebuild - and when I say rebuild I’m talking about rebuilding the confidence of what our guys are doing in the locker room, saying `Watch me, follow me, this is how you play.’ That above all things has been most impressive.”

With Miami’s final home game of the season coming against Louisville on Saturday, it will be Senior Day for much of the 2016 recruiting class – in other words, the first class of freshman Diaz coached at UM.

“It shows how quickly this all goes, in the blink of an eye it feels you get dropped off as a freshman, all of a sudden running out for the last time as a senior,” Diaz said. “It does go fast, and all the different memories.”

Both senior linebackers Quarterman and Mike Pinckney will be playing in their last home game at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, and Diaz felt it was time to have some fun in the film room.

“We put on the FAMU game, their first game ever, and they were laughing hysterically,” Diaz said. “They admitted this back then, they were like `Coach, we had no idea what we were doing out there’, were running around like chickens with their heads cut off. So that was fun to see how they developed over time.”

Diaz also admitted that both Quarterman and Pinckney have become the standard in terms of what he looks for in players in recruiting to try and find similar personalities and leadership qualities.

"Guys that have that personality that other guys are drawn to them, that they can be a leader,” Diaz said. “A lot of times what you're looking for when you go and evaluate a high school prospect - you can tell on film if they can play in the games. You need to go and watch practice and find out how much they love the game, how much they love the work."

Now at 5-4, Miami is one win away from bowl eligibility, something Diaz feels is key for many reasons.

“It’s of massive importance,” Diaz said. “Number one, just from a player development standpoint, just the extra practice and chance you have to get more reps for our freshmen who are redshirting or younger guys to get more experience of how to work, what our expectation is here. All that’s in front of us, in our control.”

Uh, this doesn't make me feel very good.

Advertisement
Poppa Shaq was a good poster on here. Miss having him. Hopefully he will come back when his son graduates from UM.
He’s probably not in a big hurry to come back to a place where a bunch of sloppy destitute mongoloids still living with their parents regularly raked his son over the coals to excuse **** coaching.

The dude has to play every rep because his dopey HC couldn’t recruit any suitable LBs. And they shred him anyway. He’s played through separated shoulders at a position that puts tremendous strain on shoulders because the backups weren’t any good or didn’t exist

Advertisement
He’s probably not in a big hurry to come back to a place where a bunch of sloppy destitute mongoloids still living with their parents regularly raked his son over the coals to excuse **** coaching.

The dude has to play every rep because his dopey HC couldn’t recruit any suitable LBs. And they shred him anyway. He’s played through separated shoulders at a position that puts tremendous strain on shoulders because the backups weren’t any good or didn’t exist

unkempt poor troglodytes...

LOVE the descriptors...

Advertisement

Diaz gets it. This guy will get us back to national respectability

Advertisement
Yes. It’s Wednesday we have a game against a different opponent in 3 days. Should be discussing what we need to do to stop then not how we beat FSU.

He has mentioned Louisville everyday since Sunday. He's mentioned players being focused as well for Louisville. He's mentioned Louisvilles coach and personnel

Advertisement
Back