Diaz recaps UM's first fall scrimmage

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The Miami Hurricanes held their first scrimmage of fall camp on Sunday night, and head coach Manny Diaz spoke afterwards on what he was seeing from his team.

“I was very pleased with the way that our guys got after it,” Diaz said. “The tempo of the offense was telling. We were able to run a lot of plays, got a lot of action and I thought was highly competitive. I thought both sides made a lot of things happen.”

Considering Miami was breaking in a new offensive system, plus many new starters on defense, Diaz was pleased by the lack of penalties on both sides of the ball.

“With ACC officials here, our pre-snap penalties were minimal, our during-the-play penalties were almost nonexistent,” Diaz said. “We did have some selfishness after the play, there were two or three occasions, one that gave the offense a first down. Those have to be dealt with harshly, that’s when someone puts their emotion in front of the team.

“What I was pleased with was the operation for the first time out as a scrimmage. Your pre-snap penalties, guys lining up the wrong way, just not knowing what to do, I thought we were outstanding in that. I thought coach (Rhett) Lashlee and the staff did a great job and getting his guys prepared. I'm sure they'll watch the film and realize they can be so much better, but again, just in terms of functioning in a scrimmage setting for the first time out and not having a spring, I was very impressed.”

Redshirt senior QB D’Eriq King led the way on offense for UM, completing 15 of 26 pass attempts for 178 yards and 4 TD’s.

“D'Eriq King, his ability to make plays -- four touchdown passes, plays with his feet -- really, really ignited our offense and really got them going,” Diaz said.

While King made plays through the air, it was a pair of freshmen RB’s that took control on the ground. Jaylan Knighton (10 carries, 126 yards, TD) and Don Chaney (11 carries, 57 yards, TD) both showed that they felt right at home in Lashlee’s offense.

“They both have had a great camp, so it just made sense they'd have a great night tonight,” Diaz said. “Both guys had explosive runs, Chaney had some good, hard runs on some short-yardage stuff and both of them had the ability when they got out in the open field to make things happen. Once they got comfortable, you could really see their explosion.”

With star DE Gregory Rousseau opting out of the 2020 season, the Canes are looking for the rest of their defensive ends to step up, and Diaz was encouraged by what he saw in the scrimmage from the position.

“Jaelan Phillips, we probably played him for maybe a little bit over a quarter, he's relentless off the edge,” Diaz said. “You like to see guys who've had a great week of practice come out on scrimmage day and put it together and Jaelan did. Then you mention Cam Williams, he really took advantage of his time tonight and I thought was very impressive. Chantz Williams did some good things on defense. He had five tackles and two sacks in his first-ever college scrimmage. That idea of getting guys off the edge creating havoc is a big part of our defense and they really did step up and played their part.”

At linebacker, UM is attempting to replace two veteran, four-year starters, and Diaz liked what he was seeing out of redshirt juniors Waynmon Steed (5 tackles) and Bradley Jennings, who both sat out the 2019 season due to injury.

“I first have to point out Bradley Jennings and Waynmon Steed, both coming off injuries, I thought both made a lot of good things happen,” Diaz said. “But then when you mention (Sam) Brooks, (Avery) Huff and Corey Flagg and Tirek Austin-Cave. Flagg and Cave, they left their mark a few times on some big hits. It's fun and we've got a great competition at linebacker, and not even to mention Zach McCloud. We've got a lot of guys have been getting in play and in that competition is far from over.”

Other stats released by UM after the scrimmage:

-TE Will Mallory led the team with 4 catches for 71 yards and a TD.

-WR Mike Harley had 2 TD catches.

-WR Xavier Restrepo had 2 catches for 54 yards, plus a 70-yard rushing TD.

-WR Michael Redding III had 3 catches for 41 yards.

-S Gurvan Hall led all defenders with 7 tackles.

-LB Sam Brooks had 5 tackles.

-LB Corey Flagg had a sack.

-CB Marcus Clarke recorded an interception.

Advertisement
It feels great reading about our 1st Fall scrimmage. Some quick thoughts....

This offense is going to be exactly what we needed and just the tonic to make Hurricane Football exciting again.

D'erique King is the guy

Xavier Restrepo will contribute more than most thought. Kid is a playmaker.

The true frosh RBs will hit the ground running and the RB corps will be an effective and explosive 3 headed Monster. If Burns can develop into a game closing wrecking ball watch out.

The Tight Ends are going to eat! Hopefully Hodges will get some burn.

By the end of the season the WR corps will develop into a force.

The OL will take a giant leap forward.

Waynmon Steed may be a bigger factor than we expected.

With Steed and Jennings 100% we are actually deep at LB. Young and relatively inexperienced but deep nonetheless. This unit has the solid veteran leadership of McCloud, Jennings and Steed plus the speed and pure athletic explosivness of Austin-cave, Brooks, Huff and Joyner added to the ultra productive instinctive and cerebral C. Flagg.

Usually I would be alarmed seeing the offense seemingly so far ahead of the defense but I'm not worried. We have plenty of new faces but we have too many talented explosive athletes on defense to be concerned. Once this unit begins to gel...forget about it.

With Bolden 100% and Hall back those two will become one of the best Safety duo's in the nation and the depth and talent behind them comprise one of the finest Safety units in the nation.

Like many here I was a little concerned about the CB group, particularly in terms of depth. With C. Will and Couch beginning to emerge I feel much better.

One of the things I'm excited about is the potential flexabilty we have in the secondary. With the tremendous depth at Safety and the eclectic nature of skill sets all through the secondary, Diaz/Baker will have a ton of possible combinations, looks, options and weapons available to them to matchup with a wide variety of offenses, formations etc........

The DL just continues to get deeper the loss of Rousseau notwithstanding. Jaelen Phillips has the ability to be a very special player but his greatest asset may be the ability to be moved around like a chess piece all over the DL. He can also be utilized as a standup OLB if the situation arises. Chanz Williams has the ability to be an AA DE. Cam Williams, Q Will, Harvey and Roche make for insane depth.

We haven't seen the type of rock solid depth we have at DT in a very long time. Ford, Silvera, Miller, Harrison Hunte, Holley and Blisset is a relatively young but talented group. Elijah Roberts and Leonard Taylor will eventually transform this group from solid to spectacular.

Add Borregalles at PK and a breakthrough season is definitely possible. We'll see how much Diaz and the rest of the staff that was here last year have learned and improved.

Advertisement

This offense is going to be exactly what we needed and just the tonic to make Hurricane Football exciting again.

D'erique King is the guy

The true frosh RBs will hit the ground running and the RB corps will be an effective and explosive 3 headed Monster. If Burns can develop into a game closing wrecking ball watch out.

With Steed and Jennings 100% we are actually deep at LB. Young and relatively inexperienced but deep nonetheless. This unit has the solid veteran leadership of McCloud, Jennings and Steed plus the speed and pure athletic explosivness of Austin-cave, Brooks, Huff and Joyner added to the ultra productive instinctive and cerebral C. Flagg.

Usually I would be alarmed seeing the offense seemingly so far ahead of the defense but I'm not worried. We have plenty of new faces but we have too many talented explosive athletes on defense to be concerned. Once this unit begins to gel...forget about it.

With Bolden 100% and Hall back those two will become one of the best Safety duo's in the nation and the depth and talent behind them comprise one of the finest Safety units in the nation.

Like many here I was a little concerned about the CB group, particularly in terms of depth. With C. Will and Couch beginning to emerge I feel much better.

One of the things I'm excited about is the potential flexabilty we have in the secondary. With the tremendous depth at Safety and the eclectic nature of skill sets all through the secondary, Diaz/Baker will have a ton of possible combinations, looks, options and weapons available to them to matchup with a wide variety of offenses, formations etc........

The DL just continues to get deeper the loss of Rousseau notwithstanding. Jaelen Phillips has the ability to be a very special player but his greatest asset may be the ability to be moved around like a chess piece all over the DL. He can also be utilized as a standup OLB if the situation arises. Chanz Williams has the ability to be an AA DE. Cam Williams, Q Will, Harvey and Roche make for insane depth.

We haven't seen the type of rock solid depth we have at DT in a very long time. Ford, Silvera, Miller, Harrison Hunte, Holley and Blisset is a relatively young but talented group. Elijah Roberts and Leonard Taylor will eventually transform this group from solid to spectacular.

Add Borregalles at PK and a breakthrough season is definitely possible. We'll see how much Diaz and the rest of the staff that was here last year have learned and improved.
I got to now. I didnt see manny article.

Last edited:
Bro stop playing with my man Mike Harley! Step up then senior!

They been speaking down on your name like you wasn’t the second leading WR last year.

Go head and put up 800-900 yards this season for them lil bruh.

It’s always new guys better than the vets around here! I like the youngins just don’t think Harley is losing a starting job. If he does that means someone else REALLY stepped up. So I wouldn’t be mad.

Harley showed me his ceiling type of game against Louisville 2019.

Advertisement
1721DB95-77C1-45E3-811E-3D633C3E200E.gif

Bro stop playing with my man Mike Harley! Step up then senior!

They been speaking down on your name like you wasn’t the second leading WR last year.

Go head and put up 800-900 yards this season for them lil bruh.

It’s always new guys better than the vets around here! I like the youngins just don’t think Harley is losing a starting job. If he does that means someone else REALLY stepped up. So I wouldn’t be mad.

Harley showed me his ceiling type of game against Louisville 2019.
This new offense is going to be a godsend for guys like Harley. Pope should also benefit greatly. Pace and Space!

Advertisement
Advertisement

D'erique King is the guy

Excellent synopsis of what you feel about a few players and position groups. Your view did not require you attend "practise" to give your opinion of the team following Manny's post scrimmage interview.

Welcome to the ACC, looks like the roche's don't come out at night. And this diaz guy still seems to be overly impressed to easy, to much praise, after 1st scrimmages, take notice of his comments about the offense ending at the 1min 05sec mark!

Hasn't seemed to have learned his lesson in that Dept yet!

Advertisement
Back