Diaz provides injury and team updates ahead of UVA matchup

View as article
Manual got the team to believe and behave a certain way to avoid an internal Covid outbreak. You mean to tell me he can't use the same psychological tactics to get them excited to play a football game 11 days a year? As JB would say, "come on!"

Advertisement
Not so sure how quick that is. Even took Saban a couple of years. Dabo longer than that.

Where do you think Manny is at?
Sabag had the bad first year then flipped it immediately. I'm not as positive on *****, but I know he struggled mainly with coordinators early at Clemson and had to bring in a new OC and DC. Venables and a couple great QB signings turned it around for him.

I'm not sure on Diaz. I don't like the way we completely no-showed at Clemson. And I don't like the way we responded against Pitt despite getting a win. He did a great job upgrading the OC and bringing in King. He's been a portal master.

But there's this nagging feeling I have that he's not a real leader of men. Maybe he can turn that around and get better at pushing the right buttons as a leader to get that constant work dog tenacity going. I'm pulling for him because I want him to win here and not have to hit the fcking re-set button for the 8,000th time. He's a hard worker, a smart guy, and a good face for the program, but if he can't lead he'll just be another good guy failure.

No incentive?

Id show literally every draft for the last 10 years of kids who ultimately ended up no where in the NFL. One more year of college and a degree kills no one. Look if you have to go you have to go but at that point you are making an adult decision and adults can be told they are ******* idiots.

they can come back and finish their degree free of charge regardless, but i do agree on an extra year would help a lot of them. for a kid like Greg, hes already gonna get taken high, but bandy and others need that extra year

Sabag had the bad first year then flipped it immediately. I'm not as positive on *****, but I know he struggled mainly with coordinators early at Clemson and had to bring in a new OC and DC. Venables and a couple great QB signings turned it around for him.

I'm not sure on Diaz. I don't like the way we completely no-showed at Clemson. And I don't like the way we responded against Pitt despite getting a win. He did a great job upgrading the OC and bringing in King. He's been a portal master.

But there's this nagging feeling I have that he's not a real leader of men. Maybe he can turn that around and get better at pushing the right buttons as a leader to get that constant work dog tenacity going. I'm pulling for him because I want him to win here and not have to hit the fcking re-set button for the 8,000th time. He's a hard worker, a smart guy, and a good face for the program, but if he can't lead he'll just be another good guy failure.

thought we responded well against pitt esp coming off a deflating loss, but the issue was the two turnovers and our complete lack of WR play that is hamstringing the offense esp against the top tier defenses like clemson and pitt. King has to improve as against the two best defenses on our schedule, he looked okay. we kept our penalties down as well which is nice to see (i believe we only had 5). our pass d has to improve but given the amount of times they threw and how inefficient they were at doing it, ill live with it. overall, it was nice to see us not come out flat and go into a shell esp after the two INT returns that set pitt up deep in the red zone

Advertisement
The thing of it is the top coaches don't all have that same personality type. Saban can get away with it at the college level, but look what happened when he tried it at the pro level. Coaches need to do what they can with what they've got. Expecting Diaz to be a Saban level ******* ain't going to happen. Hopefully he finds his own way.

Reason we have so many juniors leaving early is because we have slimebag agents running around South Florida with their cheap cigars and used car salesman pitches. Dirtbags like Pete and 7th round management with zero talent and business experience, stealing money from human beings who are actually good at something.

If I'm running Miami football, Day 1 I'm calling up every one of these agents personally and telling them you're not to speak to a single one of our players until they are seniors. If you break that command, there's gonna be consequences. And those consequences are being permanently banned from campus for any reason, and being blacklisted. And knowing that from the day these kids arrive on campus as freshman, we'll be taking time out of our day to teach them about what a piece of human **** you are and to stay away from you. We'll make it a team rule to block your phone number.

If you play ball and wait until they're seniors, then you'll be the agent we recommend to them as being trustworthy.

You gotta handle that ****.
Pete is definitely a piece of ****. His company will never blow up either. ****** business tactics never succeed.

I hear your points but is it also true nothing on his resume prepared him to be in this position at arguably (certainly I am biased) at a flagship program? Point of note I do not think that is excusable and 100% blame our lazy *** AD.

I would argue at this point that he is at the very least capable of remediating a clear cut problem and fixing it as fast as possible. I also don't necessarily think we laid an egg at Clemson but I do see your perspective. What I saw was a team and staff as a whole get punched in the face down 14-0 who didn't implode like every other staff we've had here. Down 21-10 in the 3rd to Clemson and the Etienne run happens.

Yes we came out deer in head lights
Yes our OC **** the bed
Our DC/Manny were hanging on for dear life for awhile there as well

I think it is also a fair point we would have around 2 guys maybe starting for Clemson.

Ehh call me half glass full. I agree with your points and get that weird "i donno" gut feeling but **** it 2020 is a **** show gimme the Dub's and do not lose another game lol.

Before focusing on our 3rd down woes, we need to look at what is putting us in 2nd and long. We need to fix our 1st down play calling in a hurry.
Yeah. We're struggling on 3rd down because we're doing a terrible job of 1st down, but no one talks about 1st down. It's the forgotten down.

Bad 1st down plays are killing us because it's getting us out of tempo too. When you're 2nd and 10, you suddenly start second guessing going break neck speed, then we start the look to the sidelines offense.

Advertisement
thought we responded well against pitt esp coming off a deflating loss, but the issue was the two turnovers and our complete lack of WR play that is hamstringing the offense esp against the top tier defenses like clemson and pitt. King has to improve as against the two best defenses on our schedule, he looked okay. we kept our penalties down as well which is nice to see (i believe we only had 5). our pass d has to improve but given the amount of times they threw and how inefficient they were at doing it, ill live with it. overall, it was nice to see us not come out flat and go into a shell esp after the two INT returns that set pitt up deep in the red zone
We'll disagree on the Pitt response. I think we should have jumped all over the backup QB and suffocated them from the 1st snap. We didn't.

And I'm sick of this talking point about "deflating losses" ruining the rest of seasons. Teams lose. Buck up and get back out there.

The thing of it is the top coaches don't all have that same personality type. Saban can get away with it at the college level, but look what happened when he tried it at the pro level. Coaches need to do what they can with what they've got. Expecting Diaz to be a Saban level ******* ain't going to happen. Hopefully he finds his own way.
He doesn't have to be Sabag or be an *******. He just has to be a great leader. Plenty of decent humans are great leaders.

Before focusing on our 3rd down woes, we need to look at what is putting us in 2nd and long. We need to fix our 1st down play calling in a hurry.
There was a post early in the year about 1st down passing success. seems Lash has gone away from that recently or just been unsuccessful with it.

Same here.

I’m not as down on the Pitt win as you are.

I do think we came out flat and played down to the competition, there’s no denying that, but I’ve seen even our best teams do that. That’s still not an excuse, especially if you’re a team trying to find your own identity.

I think the difference is, in the last for five years we would have lost this Pitt game, in my mind, there’s no doubt about that. So we found a way to win this game ugly but comfortably.

Having said that, I have the same doubts that you have. That’s why I want to see how we react the rest of the season.

I’m going to be looking for clues to see if the culture, that is the winning attitude, is something that is being infused. So not just results, but other factors. And yes, that will reflect on Manny‘s leadership traits. Like I said before, I’ll have a much better idea in January.

In the meantime, the jury is still out on him.

But suffice it to say I’ve gone from absolutely despising him, to now being neutral and hoping that he succeeds, rather than wanting his head on the chopping block immediately

Advertisement
Yeah. We're struggling on 3rd down because we're doing a terrible job of 1st down, but no one talks about 1st down. It's the forgotten down.

Bad 1st down plays are killing us because it's getting us out of tempo too. When you're 2nd and 10, you suddenly start second guessing going break neck speed, then we start the look to the sidelines offense.
It seems like we, more often than not, lose yards on 1st down. After that it's a Chinese fire drill.

I will say this, though. Those failed first down runs did help setup two TD passes. I just don't like the all or nothing approach on O. I prefer consistency.

The biggest change I want to see is Lashlee finding a way to get King throwing lanes, or rolling him out more. He can not stand tall in the pocket and see the field. People wonder why we don't see more slants, but how can we throw slants when there are no throwing lanes? I love what King can do, but he will never see the field well by standing in the pocket as the trees close in. So, find a way to use his strengths, because he darn sure has them.

****, this thread is depressing, you would think we haven't won a game and every player declared for the draft.

****, this thread is depressing, you would think we haven't won a game and every player declared for the draft.

I’m not depressed at all. I think there’s hope, but I also think there’s a justifiable “show me“ attitude. Or at least that’s how I feel. I’ve seen some really positive signs, and I seen a few signs of some of the old types of bad signs. Which hopefully are going away over time.

I’ve gone from thinking that Manny absolutely was not the answer, to thinking let’s see how he does, he may be the answer, if I see the right things.

Advertisement
He doesn't have to be Sabag or be an *******. He just has to be a great leader. Plenty of decent humans are great leaders.
Exactly. But that can impact the time it takes to change the culture. Back when I was a manager I had one guy who was increasingly useless over the course of the 6 months or so he was there. He was great to start, then slacked off. Company policy said I had to build my case and give him 3 chances to redeem himself. I was saddled with that bum ****ing and moaning behind my back sowing the seeds of discontent until I could get rid of him. Fortunately, I had a couple of senior people who did their best to counter him.

I can't imagine having to do that with college kids that I have no choice but to keep.

I think Manny has us trending upward. He’s made some great off the field moves. I think we’ve made a nice jump from year 1 to 2 and we’re recruiting at a high level. And still a large portion of the fanbase is unhappy and doesn’t think he’s got what it takes. Seems to be mostly ppl that didn’t like the Manny hire to begin with(as DC or HC) and are looking for any reason to double down on that.

I just don’t see how fans can make any concrete declarations about a coach that’s less than 20 games into his HC career.

Dabo went 6-7 in year 3. This board would have definitely fired him and declared him unfit to lead.

Advertisement
Back