Diaz has some thoughts

So Norton is getting a $75K signing bonus. After taxes, agent fees, attorney fees, training for the draft, miscellaneous fees, he maybe walks away with $25 - $30K net. Yup, makes sense to leave early for that.

And we wonder how in Hades a number of former Canes went to the big show - and in spite of good money - went broke.

Financial awareness of a five year old.

Advertisement
lol way to not even argue with what my point is. Can RJ improve if he returned? Yes. Will that make him drafted higher? Not neccessarily. Yall are acting like just because he gets stronger it will bump him into the 2nd round are just deluded. He's already a terrible athlete, what do you think adding stregth/weight is going to do?
Also lets stop acting like he was a mid/late 5th round pick. He was pick 2 in the 5th round. He was essentially already a 4th rounder. He was the 11th DT taken!!! And Hurst went after him and that was only due to health issues. So basically he was evaluated to be the 12th DT in this class. How much do you think he'd improve when next yrs DT class makes the 2018 class look like complete ****?

This is probably an even dumber take. His athleticism is what makes him a draftable DL, his lack of strength to take on NFL OL is why he dropped. Let's read his scouting report from NFL.com:

Strengths:
Talented and a plus athlete
Plays with plus flexibility and moves like a defensive end in space
Has foot quickness to be an edge rusher

Weaknesses:
Will need to live in the weight room to improve core strength
Base fails him
Too easy to bully off his spot and out of his fit against the run
Lacks expected rush production relative to his athletic ability
Won't win if he's not playing half-man as a rusher

"Should have stayed in. He needs to keep growing into his frame and get a lot stronger. You don't want to come out until you know you're ready to do battle against grown men and I don't think he's there yet." -- AFC Director of Scouting

Since nuance isn't your strength, let me explain what this means. His strengths according to pro scouts are that he is an NFL level athlete (i.e. He moves well for a man his size, he is flexible and can turn and change direction well. Which goes against your ridiculous assessment of him being a terrible athlete (frankly the fact that you'd even try to say that a kid like Mcintosh who played DL/QB and basketball at a high level in HS and after watching him here is a terrible athlete is moronic). There's a major difference between being a great athlete and being strong. They aren't mutually exclusive. Lamar Jackson needs to get way bigger/stronger to play a long time in the league. Is he a terrible athlete?

His weaknesses, again according to professional scouts, are clearly that he is not strong enough to consistently and effectively play in the trenches against grown *** men. "Need to live in the weight room," "base fails him," "too easy to bully off his spot," etc. All critiques about strength. All can be improved upon with another year of physical growth in a D-1 strength program. Strength training is not a major focus of NFL teams, the expectation is that you are already developed enough to play in the league. NFL teams focus more on recovery and conditioning. They are not going to pay a kid big money to sit on the bench and get stronger on the job, that's a foolish expectation. So your entire argument is illogical. Another year at Miami, another year of eating right and lifting right would have gone a long way to alleviating a lot of these strength concerns and would have allowed RJ to improve on his perceived flaws.

It baffles me how one person can consistently embarrass themselves so frequently across such a wide range of topics.

RJ's production needed to get better where it mattered for a 3-technique guy in the NFL--pass rush. He had 7 batted balls last season which is good, but only 5 career sacks.

Which is actually not that much less than 2 of the first round DTs (Bryant & Vea), but actually more than the other first round DT (Payne).

DT is not a high sack postion regardless of the system or technique you play.

This is probably an even dumber take. His athleticism is what makes him a draftable DL, his lack of strength to take on NFL OL is why he dropped. Let's read his scouting report from NFL.com:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
Base fails him

"Should have stayed in. He needs to keep growing into his frame and get a lot stronger. You don't want to come out until you know you're ready to do battle against grown men and I don't think he's there yet." -- AFC Director of Scouting

Since nuance isn't your strength, let me explain what this means. His strengths according to pro scouts are that he is an NFL level athlete (i.e. He moves well for a man his size, he is flexible and can turn and change direction well. Which goes against your ridiculous assessment of him being a terrible athlete (frankly the fact that you'd even try to say that a kid like Mcintosh who played DL/QB and basketball at a high level in HS and after watching him here is a terrible athlete is moronic).

His weaknesses, again according to professional scouts, are clearly that he is not strong enough to consistently and effectively play in the trenches against grown *** men. "Need to live in the weight room," "base fails him," "too easy to bully off his spot," etc. All critiques about strength. All can be improved upon with another year of physical growth in a D-1 strength program. Strength training is not a major focus of NFL teams, the expectation is that you are already developed enough to play in the league. NFL teams focus more on recovery and conditioning. They are not going to pay a kid big money to sit on the bench and get stronger on the job, that's a foolish expectation. So your entire argument is illogical. Another year at Miami, another year of eating right and lifting right would have gone a long way to alleviating a lot of these strength concerns and would have allowed RJ to improve on his perceived flaws.

It baffles me how one person can consistently embarrass themselves so frequently across such a wide range of topics.

AFC director of scouting just showed how clueless he is when it comes to player evaluations with that dumb *** statement. Saying a player shouldve stayed bc he's not good enough is one thing but saying this simple minded **** is just more proof as to why the NFL draft is always terrible and full of fails every year.

Kendrick Norton is 6'3" 330lbs but needs "more time growing into his frame"??... how would another year in college prepare him better for "grown men" in the NFL than joining an NFL team??

And lol at the idea that "strength" training not being a major focus for NFL teams??... He can get stronger on his own like everybody else in the NFL does, argument doesnt hold weight.

Norton was drafted in the 7th... please list some of the "beast" at DTs that were drafted ahead of him so I can compare bc I saw an endless list of nobody's pop up on my television.

AFC director of scouting just showed how clueless he is when it comes to player evaluations with that dumb *** statement. Saying a player shouldve stayed bc he's not good enough is one thing but saying this simple minded **** is just more proof as to why the NFL draft is always terrible and full of fails every year.

Kendrick Norton is 6'3" 330lbs but needs "more time growing into his frame"??... how would another year in college prepare him better for "grown men" in the NFL than joining an NFL team??

And lol at the idea that "strength" training not being a major focus for NFL teams??... He can get stronger on his own like everybody else in the NFL does, argument doesnt hold weight.

Norton was drafted in the 7th... please list some of the "beast" at DTs that were drafted ahead of him so I can compare bc I saw an endless list of nobody's pop up on my television.

Dude, this is about RJ Mcintosh.

Advertisement
So Norton is getting a $75K signing bonus. After taxes, agent fees, attorney fees, training for the draft, miscellaneous fees, he maybe walks away with $25 - $30K net. Yup, makes sense to leave early for that.
It actually might be a lot worse then this. It is very common for agents to give loans that need to be paid back at contract signing. He might be upside down already.

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
Base fails him

Since nuance isn't your strength, let me explain what this means. His strengths according to pro scouts are that he is an NFL level athlete (i.e. He moves well for a man his size, he is flexible and can turn and change direction well. Which goes against your ridiculous assessment of him being a terrible athlete (frankly the fact that you'd even try to say that a kid like Mcintosh who played DL/QB and basketball at a high level in HS and after watching him here is a terrible athlete is moronic). There's a major difference between being a great athlete and being strong. They aren't mutually exclusive. Lamar Jackson needs to get way bigger/stronger to play a long time in the league. Is he a terrible athlete?

That report is SOLELY looking at RJ Mcintosh and him as a player. Thats not what this discussion is about dumbass. I have not said at all that McIntosh wouldn't become a better player if he returned. That isn't the ******* argument dude. The argument is whether McIntosh made a good decision to leave early or not, by leaving money on the table. The question is would McIntosh have been able to work himself into the 3rd round or not. If not, then leaving was a good decision. He can add strength in the NFL, he doesn't need to return to miami to become a better player. It would be a bad decision to return if all that happens is he becomes a 4th rounder, stays a 5th rounder, or especially if he gets drafted later. The value of returning would only be met if he went in the 3rd round. And my entire ******* point is this 2019 DT class is insanely loaded. Do you not ******* understand that dude? McIntosh was the 11th DT drafted (would have been 12th if Hurst didn't have the heart condition) and you think just adding strength is going to make him improve his draft round to the 3rd in one of the deepest DT drafts in the last decade? Come one bruh.

the argument is you guys calling Mcintosh an idiot for declaring early. And you clearly must not know **** because his pro day performance was as really ******* bad. Thats what determines if you are a good/great athlete or not, and McIntosh had one of the worst performance of all the DLineman in this draft. Would you call Orlando Brown a good athlete? No, so why should McIntosh be called a good athlete?He has excellent length though, thats about the only positive thing you can say from his pro day/combine.

Mcintosh has no need to return to miami to improve his strength. You know whats better than a P5/ACC level strenght program? An NFL strength program. You know whats better than a DL coach that was an assistant positional coach in the NFL? An actual positional coach in the NFL. You guys are acting like Miami was going to get a better improvement in strength/technique than he'd get in the NFL. lol. All that matter if he made the right decision is if he could have returned and been a 3rd rounder or higher. The answer is very unlikely, meaning its in his best interest to declare early.

40 - 5.12s ...at his weight he posted the 6th slowest Speed score of ALL DTs that were invited to the combine....and that was with a pro-day 40 time that are always faster than the electronically stopped combine time

vert - 27" ... 6th worst Vert. and all the rest of the guys that had a worse vert were NTs who weighted over 300lbs...again McIntosh was only 286lbs!

broad - 8'3" ...5th worst Broad jump. same thing as vert. the average weight of the 4 guys that had a worse broad jump than Him? 309lbs!. Again McIntosh is a 3tDT that weighted 286lbs. And the only guys that did worse in the jumps which measure explosiveness weighted an average of 23lbs more than him. objectively terrible jumps

20shuttle - 5.09s...WORST IN THE ENTIRE COMBINE. Again this was a ******* pro day result, and it was still worse than the electronically timed combine results. So not only is he not explosive or fast, he's also not quick.

3cone - 7.78s...8th worst 3-cone. This is actually at least not an absolutely terrible result! Hurray! I mean its still well below average, but its not nearly as terrible as the other 4 results.

Tell me again how Mcintosh shouldn't be classified as a bad athlete.

Advertisement
Like I said, chose this hill to die on.

Man thinks he can realistically tell all of us what would have transpired in next year's NFL draft, forget what everyone else says about it, he knows what's up. Not only that, he can also tell us what would have transpired with playing time this next year for d-line on the Canes as well lol.

I'm a logical person and I'm willing to concede that Willis will no doubt have taken some playing time, however when you're arguing with someone that feels like they're 100% right and will make no concessions to what you're saying (albeit logical and sensical and in line with a lot of popular belief) because again they're always 100% right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, it may just be time to leave them and their dumbass logic to themselves.

This is that time for me.

Which is actually not that much less than 2 of the first round DTs (Bryant & Vea), but actually more than the other first round DT (Payne).

DT is not a high sack postion regardless of the system or technique you play.

Nose tackles except for Bryan who had a very good combine. Kid wasn't that productive at Florida to be a first rounder. A nose tackle like Vea who pushes 41 reps at 225 is going to go high. He was productive as a nose.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back