Diaz gives team rundown after Tues. drills

In the end a coach needs respect to get his roster to buy into the program.

Tony Dungy may have been a ‘nice guy’ to the media, but was demanding in the locker room and film room. He didn’t need to yell and scream. Warren Sapp had so much respect for him he was afraid to disappoint him.

Bill Parcells could be a serious hard *** but even a diva like Keyshawn Johnson loved playing for him. Johnson said Parcells always told the truth, be it good or bad. Never lied to him.

A nice guy with no spine attracts and eventually gets brought down by ‘me-first’ players. Larry Coker only succeeded when fortunate to have a team loaded with highly self-motivated leaders, like 2001. As the seasons rolled on there were fewer and fewer of these players on the roster. 12–0 NC becomes 7-6.

An always demanding, constantly yelling guy who lies to your face eventually gets brought down by players longer caring. I don’t think the Canes have had this type of HC since Howard, but we’ve seen teams in CFB and the NFL with these HCs. They don’t last long.

I don’t yet know what type of HC Manny Diaz is. I want to see how (or if) he develops leadership on the roster. D’Eric King does present as a leader the offense looks to, so that bodes well. From Diaz’s press comments there seems to be more players holding each other accountable. Good. Diaz won’t succeed otherwise.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Look, I’m not the guy to **** in anybody’s cornflakes, and like a lot of you, I try to remain positive. And I am positive for this year unless proven otherwise.

But for fūcks sake, it bothers me that this guy is never angry.

All the best coaches, all of them, you can find at least one interview usually at least once a year, where they rip in to their team.

No I’m not talking about somebody that is constantly negative or constantly ripping their team and creates bad attitudes and dissension.

But the big guns that we all know that are good coaches, will get angry with their teams once in a while and make no bones about it, and at least say they are extremely dissatisfied, and rip their team a new one.

That’s just the way it works in competitive football. complacency is the enemy of greatness. Sometimes you have to push those angry buttons.

Hey, I hope I am just nitpicking here, I’m not saying this is the end of the world or that he totally sucks, although last year‘s record certainly did. But it’s just a thought I had.

Hopefully behind the scenes he’s ripping into people.

You cannot be a good football coach without ripping into people every once in a while. I don’t care how modern and progressive your philosophy is. Sometimes people need to be knocked out of their comfort zone in a drastic way to get the best out of them
Yeah... not exactly. He’s been plenty angry before. Last season he even ended a practice early and canceled the following one, because he was so pist off. So, he’s a glass have full guy, but he has been upset before.

I never see him angry. Even during games. Idk why but it bothers me. Kids just don’t fear him and I am not sure if he gets the most out of his guys because he’s too soft. Hence, when I heard the JJ comparisons they would infuriate me. JJ was a savage behind the scenes. Butch was too.
He's been pretty ruthless with hirings / firings / ushering kids out the door.

We'll see - last year was a disgrace, but I suspect he's not as soft as you think.

I think Manny's job last year was to fix the accountability of the team. He should have rid the team of any cancer it had. Sure does not say much about last years senior class. Remember its only PractiSe.

JJ was the ultimate. Guy had the respect and admiration of his players. He knew the psychology of the coaching world

Advertisement
lol y’all disrespect Trent Harris so much man...
WTF are you blabbing about? There’s no disrespect. Trent Harris was a JAG until his senior season. He bounced around positions early on very similar to Joyner. Stats don’t lie...

Look, I’m not the guy to **** in anybody’s cornflakes, and like a lot of you, I try to remain positive. And I am positive for this year unless proven otherwise.

All the best coaches, all of them, you can find at least one interview usually at least once a year, where they rip in to their team.

No I’m not talking about somebody that is constantly negative or constantly ripping their team and creates bad attitudes and dissension.

But the big guns that we all know that are good coaches, will get angry with their teams once in a while and make no bones about it, and at least say they are extremely dissatisfied, and rip their team a new one.

That’s just the way it works in competitive football. complacency is the enemy of greatness. Sometimes you have to push those angry buttons.

Hey, I hope I am just nitpicking here, I’m not saying this is the end of the world or that he totally sucks, although last year‘s record certainly did. But it’s just a thought I had.

You cannot be a good football coach without ripping into people every once in a while. I don’t care how modern and progressive your philosophy is. Sometimes people need to be knocked out of their comfort zone in a drastic way to get the best out of them

ok so you want something like this?

“After practice several police officers were called onto Greentree after Coach Diaz donkey-punched his starting offensive line in the back of the head (which ironically was the first time we confirmed who the starting five are). Upon awaking from being tased, Diaz was quoted as saying “I wish all these kids would catch Corona, because they can’t catch footballs.”

Very well written. He puts off a vibe to the media that is comparable to a parent who is trying to be their kids friend instead of their parent. Hopefully behind the scenes the team respects & fears him to a point.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Naw, you not "nitpickng" it's the immaturity of coach diaz as a young headcoach with all this early praise prior to games. Seems he hasn't learnt **** from last year in that department. He seems to easily impressed to many times he definitely hasn't learned the art of keeping a team hungry and striving for perfection, he definitely does alot of babying talk. Some people on here started posting news coming out of FSU camp from each norvell and they were acting happy like little girls getting to play dress up round 8 years old, cause they perceived it to be a sign that "FSU is in trouble", I posted that coach norvell understands what he wants his team to look like, so the comments he was making was a coach that understands how to mold his team, the clowns in here started that weak new Hurricane bandwagon ****, crying and acting as if a coach norvell fan. You can tell it's to many participation trophy posters in here, to weak minded to understand men and what it takes to become Great. When coach diaz 1st got the job my main question was, can he lead men, he has the smarts and mental make-up but is he a leader of men, and when I see this type ****, and the countless "we had our best practice of the year" than come out and score 17 points against Central Michigan, than the comments jw15 made after that game about "being scared" or "getting nervous", diaz naming him the starter was a weak move, remember, to easily impressed:

Yeah... not exactly. He’s been plenty angry before. Last season he even ended a practice early and canceled the following one, because he was so pist off. So, he’s a glass have full guy, but he has been upset before.

Come on, let them have them build up their fake narrative and let's see how far they go with it.

You know the season must be near when we have multiple fans complaining about Manny’s demeanor during an interview...

Y’all wanted him to tone down the bravado and he has, now he’s too happy? Maybe bc a month ago everyone thought there would be no season and now it looks like there will be. Is that not cause for happiness and excitement?

Would you all like him to say the energy is worse than last year and that the team sucks even if he doesn’t believe that? And who are all of these coaches that shít on their players/team every interview? Judging a coach by his interviews is weird anyways.

Anyone who’s ever watched a practice knows Manny can dish it out. Y’all act like he has no coaching experience lol. He had no HC experience before last year, but as DC he’d put everyone in their place.

With media I think he’s trying to walk a fine line with respect to how he carries himself.

Advertisement
ok so you want something like this?

“After practice several police officers were called onto Greentree after Coach Diaz donkey-punched his starting offensive line in the back of the head (which ironically was the first time we confirmed who the starting five are). Upon awaking from being tased, Diaz was quoted as saying “I wish all these kids would catch Corona, because they can’t catch footballs.”
Your attempt at humor fails.

Don't respond to any of my posts unless you can do better than this.

Because I think he might not be hard enough, doesn’t mean I want him to physically check players or be a 24 hour ***.

To top it off, you’re a fūcking weirdo with your profile picture.

If we win and it makes him more comfortable to be critical, I'd be fine with that. Maybe he is waiting to 'earn' the respect of the team by way of some Ws before ripping into them as a motivational tool. Just a thought.

Advertisement
In the end a coach needs respect to get his roster to buy into the program.

Tony Dungy may have been a ‘nice guy’ to the media, but was demanding in the locker room and film room. He didn’t need to yell and scream. Warren Sapp had so much respect for him he was afraid to disappoint him.

Bill Parcells could be a serious hard *** but even a diva like Keyshawn Johnson loved playing for him. Johnson said Parcells always told the truth, be it good or bad. Never lied to him.

A nice guy with no spine attracts and eventually gets brought down by ‘me-first’ players. Larry Coker only succeeded when fortunate to have a team loaded with highly self-motivated leaders, like 2001. As the seasons rolled on there were fewer and fewer of these players on the roster. 12–0 NC becomes 7-6.

An always demanding, constantly yelling guy who lies to your face eventually gets brought down by players longer caring. I don’t think the Canes have had this type of HC since Howard, but we’ve seen teams in CFB and the NFL with these HCs. They don’t last long.

I don’t yet know what type of HC Manny Diaz is. I want to see how (or if) he develops leadership on the roster. D’Eric King does present as a leader the offense looks to, so that bodes well. From Diaz’s press comments there seems to be more players holding each other accountable. Good. Diaz won’t succeed otherwise.
I can agree with along with other similar post. Most of your top notch, NFL caliber coaches have this trait. At this point I don't see anyone on Miami's staff with this killer instinct. I hope I'm wrong. Diaz needs to stop being nice all the dam time and get in ****'s face if they *** off.

I thought Joyner had the talent to get some good clock. Guess talent at LB too good for him to see the field. That's a good thing when you think about it, we have some good players and competition at the position
Also good forward thinking by Manny because if Phillips and Roche (including him cuz technically he can opt to stay for 2021) go nuts this year, they both declaring for the NFL draft. Which would leave us with Joyner- Harvey- Ca/Ch Williams-and the 2 true freshman TDavis/JIshmael. I'm not counting Blissett-Elijah-QWilliams because it appears that those guys are being groomed for DTs. Out of the 3, maybe QWilliams sticks as a DE. But I figure the coaches want to get Joyner looks at DE because he very well could be a starter for us in 2021 if Roche and Phillips bolt.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing it with Jahfari, I like CamW over him as the 3rd DE and Joyner in that 3rd/4th spot battle. Looking forward to seeing what Harvey can do this year.

A coach need to be themselves. Players can see through the phony, fake tough guy act. Be genuine and players respond whether through fear or respect.

Advertisement
Back