Diaz breaks down team heading into spring scrimmage #2

Nothing any coach says in these ever matters. All this off-season hype fluff is obligatory and I get it, don’t blame manny for empty coach speak.

We haven’t been a good team since he’s been the coach, and that makes me nervous. King and a bit of luck bailed us out a few times last year, or the record would have been worse. But we didn’t lose a ton and brought in some real dudes. So there’s cause to be optimistic.

done hearing it from Manny. Gotta see it. The press conferences have been fine, but I’ve seen us outcoached several times the past two years.

Advertisement
Asleep GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I see it differently.

As a manager, “showing improvement“ is something I would generally say about my people on the bottom, when I had nothing better to say, when my boss asked me about my people and I got to the bottom of the barrel performers.

“Showing improvement” was one and a half rung above “I’m going to have to fire them.”
Touche'.

You make a good point.

He drove me nuts during the NC State game, every other snap was grounded to King. Luckily it didn't cost us at all. Don't think we would have won that game if one of those bad snaps turned into a lost fumble.
watch that game again and focus on scaife if you wanna talk about driving you nuts :ROFLMAO:
Scaife at tackle is one of the better offensive linemen on the team.
scaife is one of the worst pass blockers ive ever seen. moving him one foot to the right isnt gonna do much i promise

Advertisement
watch that game again and focus on scaife if you wanna talk about driving you nuts :ROFLMAO:

scaife is one of the worst pass blockers ive ever seen. moving him one foot to the right isnt gonna do much i promise
Well then I'll just rewatch every game last year if I wanted Scaife to drive me nuts again. He, Gaynor, and Clark were absolute ***.

Gaynor is low key a top 5 problem on this team. He’s that bad. Weak in the run game. Weak at pass blocking. Horrible snapper of the football. TVD is going to have back issues from having to bend down so far to get the football at 6’4. Atleast king is short so it’s easier for him lol

Gaynor is low key a top 5 problem on this team. He’s that bad. Weak in the run game. Weak at pass blocking. Horrible snapper of the football. TVD is going to have back issues from having to bend down so far to get the football at 6’4. Atleast king is short so it’s easier for him lol
Is Clark even playing center during practice? I know he's battling with Rivers at LG but part of the problem has been lack of competition at center. I'm excited for Rodriguez to get here and provide some competition along with Clark.

It’s like Pope and Wiggins went into Diaz’s office and cried because he hasn’t mentioned them this spring. So he says something about them or risks feelings getting hurt. Diaz is probably tired of getting calls from their parents after Pope tattles to his mommy.

Advertisement
I hate the coach speak BS.

Your Senior WR's are showing improvement?
Why are they 4 years in and still "showing improvement"?
They should be established as reliable, polished guys.

And then in another breath...
"Restrepo is willing himself into being a guy."

When these MF'ing upperclassmen gonna "will themselves" into being a guy?

angry the punisher GIF by NETFLIX
Facts

The same fans fall for the coach speak bs man. I always listen to interviews as bs......there are few real coaches who keep it a buck and those coaches to alpha for UM.

Advertisement
Is Clark even playing center during practice? I know he's battling with Rivers at LG but part of the problem has been lack of competition at center. I'm excited for Rodriguez to get here and provide some competition along with Clark.
Gaynor has gotten virtually every snap with the starters. Write his name in pen along with Zion at LT and Donaldson at RG.

The coaches are higher on him than the fan base.

Following Tuesday’s practice, Miami Hurricanes head coach Manny Diaz touched on the QB competition heading into the Canes’ second spring scrimmage on Friday and discussed the progress made by UM’s quarterbacks.

“We want to have a really good competition and we want that to go all the way through training camp… We haven’t even discussed yet how the quarterback reps will be split up (in scrimmage #2),” Diaz said.

On freshman early enrollee Jake Garcia, Diaz said that he had returned to full strength off his foot injury and had begun fielding some first team reps along with Tyler Van Dyke.

“What impressed everyone is Jake was not cleared for team settings until the day before the scrimmage,” Diaz said. “That day we went out and practiced in helmets, then ‘Bang!’ here goes your first scrimmage. The way he handled himself - that first scrimmage day can be overwhelming - I thought the way he acted (was) like he’s been around a long time. Was very comfortable and the throws and all that different stuff - that’s what we were most pleased about. Both of them (Garcia and Van Dyke) played very well that day.”

Of the offensive line, Diaz spoke about the experience and depth the team has built over the years really paying dividends this spring.

“We can roll for sure more than five, it can be seven, eight, nine guys and not expect a drop-off,” Diaz said. “That’s been very encouraging.”

Diaz mentioned that some players have missed time this spring due to being in the team’s COVID protocol but, aside from DE Deandre Johnson, he did not name the all those players.

“Today was [Johnson’s] first day in a team setting for health protocol reasons - excited to get him more and more reps as we close out the spring,” Diaz said.

Miami’s first team at wide receiver has experienced heavy rotation in the early weeks of spring camp according to Diaz and he mentioned Dee Wiggins and Mark Pope as having shown improvement thus far.

“Charleston Rambo has also given us a big shot in the arm,” Diaz said of the receivers. “Xavier Restrepo makes plays every day in practice. Daz Worsham has made strides, Keyshawn Smith, we still think he has a big future and is pushing everybody.”

As previously mentioned, UM’s second scrimmage of the spring will be this Friday, and Diaz said that it will take place in the evening.

“We scrimmage in a game format, put an amount of time on the clock given the amount of people we have and go as long as we think we can scrimmage for,” Diaz said. “In the springtime, we have so much depth, we go ones vs. ones, but we have more than 11 ones.”

This offseason marks a return to the defensive coordinator role for Diaz, a position he held at UM for three seasons before being named head coach at the beginning of 2019, and he talked about how the transition has been from his perspective thus far.

“That’s been natural. I already had a role, just getting into the play calling - I’ve been doing that a long time,” Diaz said. “That’s been fun, easy… more important than who calls the plays, what the play is. The guys have responded – defensively, we’re trying to get back to having an edge about us, we lost the edge. That’s what this spring is about.”

On Zach McCloud’s move from LB to DE, Diaz has been impressed with the transition thus far, comparing it to how Trent Harris adjusted to the same move.

“Zach has exceeded my expectations,” Diaz said. “I didn’t think he’d look so natural so soon… Some guys you say `Just go’ - at defensive end, there’s a lot more ‘Go, go, go’, where at linebacker, you have to process where to go. A guy like Zach, as tough as they come, so experienced, intelligent, is soaking up all of Jess Simpson’s coaching like a sponge. He looks like he’s played defensive end more than 10 days of practice.”

Diaz also reaffirmed that no fans will be allowed at Miami’s spring game.
Pretty sure Diaz broke the team at least two years ago, but appreciate the optimism.

Thanks as always for the detailed info, Stef.

Manny has that coach speak down.
It's sooooo tiresome. Same Blah blah blah blah blah every freaking time. Manny better win big this year or it's over for him. It's sink or swim time. Let's hope this little lispy ***** can swim because his time is almost up!! Time to put up or shut the *** up already!!

Go Canes!!!

Advertisement
Here we go....look at the guys he makes sure to praise. He's conditioning us for d bullsht.
Diaz is going to continue to trot out #8 and #6 at WR no matter what X, Key, Brashard or Brinson do. Also you can expect for Cam Harris to be named the starter or "feature back". I like Cam as much as anyone but Chaney should be the guy but he won't because there is an experienced upperclassmen on the team. Same with Rivers. No way he starts over Clark no matter how good he is.

Same on defense. Fully expect Carter to play much more than A Williams. I don't have a problem with #5 playing if he is used the same way Diaz used him in 2018. Blitzing, attacking the flats in Cover 3 etc. We can also fully expect for Jennings and Ivey to get plenty of burn. The starters at LB will be Flagg and Jennings. Even assuming Al Blades at 100%, Ivey will still play a ton no matter how good Clarke and Dunson look in practice. As for McCloud, I'm rooting for the kid to have finally found his niche at DE. If McCloud can be a Trent Harris clone for 2021 then I'll be ecstatic. The thing is that Diaz is going to play him regardless of wether his play resembes T. Harris or Kelvin Cain.

Diaz is going to continue to trot out #8 and #6 at WR no matter what X, Key, Brashard or Brinson do. Also you can expect for Cam Harris to be named the starter or "feature back". I like Cam as much as anyone but Chaney should be the guy but he won't because there is an experienced upperclassmen on the team. Same with Rivers. No way he starts over Clark no matter how good he is.

Same on defense. Fully expect Carter to play much more than A Williams. I don't have a problem with #5 playing if he is used the same way Diaz used him in 2018. Blitzing, attacking the flats in Cover 3 etc. We can also fully expect for Jennings and Ivey to get plenty of burn. The starters at LB will be Flagg and Jennings. Even assuming Al Blades at 100%, Ivey will still play a ton no matter how good Clarke and Dunson look in practice. As for McCloud, I'm rooting for the kid to have finally found his niche at DE. If McCloud can be a Trent Harris clone for 2021 then I'll be ecstatic. The thing is that Diaz is going to play him regardless of wether his play resembes T. Harris or Kelvin Cain.
Alot of head coaches scared to bench experienced players. Betas in control at UM

@LeedsCane

If you think my post is so dumb then please educate me. I don't mindlessly attack Diaz. I give credit where credit is due. I also follow patterns and habits and history has shown that Diaz has followed the pattern that I have described above. That's just a fact. Would I like him to break out of that? Yes absolutely but habits are tough to break especially for coaches. I don't have a problem with an upperclassman keeping his job over a younger kid but it should be based on performance or the level of play shown in practice. Diaz is the boss and it's ultimately his call but I think that many times he over values experience when it is apparent that a younger player is flat out better. There are many examples of this if you want to get into that but is that really necessary? I want Diaz and this program to succeed as much or more than anyone but that doesn't mean that I'm going to just blindly kiss his a$$ like some goofball homer.

Advertisement
Back