Diaz and Mass Substitution

305umking

Redshirt Freshman
What exactly is Diaz trying to accomplish with this approach? We subtitute what seem to be random and bizarre times during drives. The back 7 is the biggest culprit particularly LB and Safety.

On our first Defensive series Charles Perry is in the Game on the 5th play from scrimmage. Then Perry and Knowles are in on the next couple of plays in a converted 3rd down.
This was a theme throughtout the game. All the 2nd quarter drives Perry, Knowles, Owens, Smith, Carter are in the game on critical 3rd downs and giving up big plays. Perry is in the game WAY TOO MUCH.

We supposedly have the 3 most talented young LBs in the nation. Yet we take them out every 5 plays. What does this do to their cohesiveness and communication. Our safeties are already suspect let them develop some type of chemistry out there. I dont get it. Its like we dont have starters at LB and S.

This along with Diaz inexplicable defensive alignments are making it like childs play for the opposing offense. We will get slaughtered during ACC play if we dont correct this.

Sn:(Mccloud play has been a little underwhelming but they take him out every 3 plays it seems)

Last edited:
Advertisement
You do realize Richt came out and pretty clearly said after the layoff they were not in the football shape they should be? He said all week leading to the game here would be a lot of subbing. Personally substitution is the least of the defenses issues.

You do realize Richt came out and pretty clearly said after the layoff they were not in the football shape they should be? He said all week leading to the game here would be a lot of subbing. Personally substitution is the least of the defenses issues.

We did the same thing against BCC. The LBs and Safeties are gassed after the 5TH play from scrimmage? Really?

We basically had our 2nd team defense on the field while Toledo drove down the field right before half.

We did the same thing against BCC. The LBs and Safeties are gassed after the 5TH play from scrimmage? Really?

We basically had our 2nd team defense on the field while Toledo drove down the field right before half.

You need film of players in real game situations. When no one is particularly standing out, you try and get as many looks as you can at players to evaluate. Eventually you will see the staff settle on which players are more productive and which one are not.

You need film of players in real game situations. When no one is particularly standing out, you try and get as many looks as you can at players to evaluate. Eventually you will see the staff settle on which players are more productive and which one are not.

Dude how much film you need to have to see that Charles Perry and D. Owens are HORRIBLE.

Advertisement
What exactly is Diaz trying to accomplish with this approach? We subtitute what seem to be random and bizarre times during drives. The back 7 is the biggest culprit particularly LB and Safety.

On our first Defensive series Charles Perry is in the Game on the 5th play from scrimmage. Then Perry and Knowles are in on the next couple of plays in a converted 3rd down.
This was a theme throughtout the game. All the 2nd quarter drives Perry, Knowles, Owens, Smith, Carter are in the game on critical 3rd downs and giving up big plays. Perry is in the game WAY TOO MUCH.

We supposedly have the 3 most talented young LBs in the nation. Yet we take them out every 5 plays. What does this do to their cohesiveness and communication. Our safeties are already suspect let them develop some type of chemistry out there. I dont get it. Its like we dont have starters at LB and S.

This along with Diaz inexplicable defensive alignments are making it like childs play for the opposing offense. We will get slaughtered during ACC play if we dont correct this.

Sn:(Mccloud play has been a little underwhelming but they take him out every 3 plays it seems)

Conditioning and I think they are getting a look at different players in different situations and who performs. I mean really, this was our first game of the season. Shaking off the rust a little. Just hope they fix the communication on the back end and our corner situation because Duke could light us up with the TE up the middle of the field.

Dude how much film you need to have to see that Charles Perry and D. Owens are HORRIBLE.

Staff trying to see who will step up basically and take playing time

There are times where the players tap their helmets to come out of the game, though, so I wouldn't say it's all Diaz. On the other hand, we clearly need the best players on the field as much as possible, which means if Diaz has to tell a player "no" when they tap their helmet to come out, so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He got to stop with that bullsh*t. A lot of defenses play explosive offenses, they don’t sub like we do...

Advertisement
Shaq many times kept looking to sideline just b4 snap like he didn't know what defense we were running or if he was lined up correctly. We all know he always knows assignments. My guess is the whole hurricane and displacement stuff affected everyone even more than what was expected. I'm not making excuses. We have to be better in all phases. Really think we need to simplify D. Last years version with more strength and knowledge is what's needed. A wrinkle hear n there is one thing but it seems like MD is trying to show how brilliant he is instead of doing what we need to dominate. Keep it simple stupid. I'm not an expert and I'm not in panic mode but I am concerned.

We have to get these young players on the field during the game, not just during mop up time. It keeps the starters fresh for the 4th Quarter. Plus we don't have a bye week. So, any rest during a game helps our starters.

development and building experience maybe?

Is everyone forgetting that these two games are games we EXPECT to win so we are rotating players and using different schemes and techniques to see what works and doesn't work for our team.. Richt didn't seem worried at all after half-time in his interview let's relax and take our victory we'll be fine

Advertisement

We were LOSING hardly the time to put less talented players in the game. Let alone the whole defensive series before halftime. How about you let your 1st team defense establish a tone...gain confidence & chemistry...dominate. Then allow 2nd & 3rd teamers come in after u set that tone.

We were LOSING hardly the time to put less talented players in the game. Let alone the whole defensive series before halftime. How about you let your 1st team defense establish a tone...gain confidence & chemistry...dominate. Then allow 2nd & 3rd teamers come in after u set that tone.

Staff did not seem worried about losing at all and kicked it in overdrive when they were ready to 28 straight points don't just happen by chance

Is everyone forgetting that these two games are games we EXPECT to win so we are rotating players and using different schemes and techniques to see what works and doesn't work for our team.. Richt didn't seem worried at all after half-time in his interview let's relax and take our victory we'll be fine

We EXPECT to win but yet we were losing before halftime with mostly 2nd team in as they drove down the field score more points.

Look i get what some of you are saying about getting experience and development. But the 1st team needs that also because they have not looked good at all. The subs just exacerbate the problem

Advertisement

Staff did not seem worried about losing at all and kicked it in overdrive when they were ready to 28 straight points don't just happen by chance

Thats a pretty arrogant approach for a staff and team that hasn't accomplished diddly squat. And I find it hard to believe thats Mark Richts attitude....So i assume you expect to see a shutdown D against Duke?

Subing was obvious after our layoff....

Failure to cover anyone in the slot and Dee who covers like a wet napkin is more pressing issues

We EXPECT to win but yet we were losing before halftime with mostly 2nd team in as they drove down the field score more points.

Look i get what some of you are saying about getting experience and development. But the 1st team needs that also because they have not looked good at all. The subs just exacerbate the problem

So when would you prefer they get experience during a highly contested VT game or FSU?? trial by fire you have to put them in the game to at least know what they can and can't do.. that's the purpose for these tune up games.. this board goes from one extreme to the next after every play lol

Thats a pretty arrogant approach for a staff and team that hasn't accomplished diddly squat. And I find it hard to believe thats Mark Richts attitude....So i assume you expect to see a shutdown D against Duke?

I just expect the team to gradually progress throughout the year.. we will be where we want to be by years end and Duke doesn't scare me at all we will handle them like we suppose to.

Advertisement
Back