Dexter Williams impressed by Tennessee.

THANK GODNESS for Mark Walton cause HE GONE

East Tennessee and Central Florida don't have too much in common.

That's why Orlando, Fla., running back Dexter Williams wasn't sure what to expect when his tour-bus filled with fellow Orlando-area prospects rolled into Knoxville Thursday.

But, there was no doubting the strong impression the Vols left when he drove away.

"It was very nice, very nice. I wasn't expecting all of this stuff at Tennessee today. And just to know that they are upgrading, I know it's going to be a lot better the next couple of years," Williams said.

The 5-foot-11, 195-pound running back thought he knew what Tennessee would be like but Tennessee out-performed his expectations on his one-day visit.

"I was thinking it was going to be country and kind of small and not that much love but everything was the opposite. It was beautiful. There was so much orange and 'Power T's' everywhere," Williams said. "People had on Vols shirts and orange stuff and the weight room had so much orange and I fell in love with the weight room and the stadium was so big. Out of all the stadiums I had seen so far that was one of the most beautiful."

Williams has been committed to Miami since April but that hasn't slowed down Tennessee coaches Robert Gillespie and Butch Jones and the two made it clear that he's a wanted man on Rocky Top.

"I got to hang out with coach G and I also talked to coach Jones, also. It was great," Williams said. "It showed they actually wanted me and they weren't playing and they just let me know they wanted me to be a Vol. They showed me a lot of love. They want me to be a Vol very bad."

Williams is finishing up visits this week to South Carolina and a few other destinations before heading home and said he will take more visits this summer and fall before coming to a final destination.

"I'm still taking these visits and I plan on making more visits these summer and then probably this fall I'll have everything figured out and I'll know where I want to go," Williams said

Expect Williams back in Knoxville again, he said, as he hopes to see the Vols again this summer and in the fall.

"I plan on coming back up this summer and then going on an official visit for a game at Tennessee," Williams.

Advertisement
I'm just so incredibly thankful that the adults are making sure these high school kids get to tour places like Knoxville, TN. An angel gets it's wings every time a grown man spends his spring shipping a group of talented high school kids to a bumpkin SEC town out of the goodness of his heart. I'm going to go knit Dexter a crimson sweater in case he gets the opportunity to tour Alabama sometime soon and there's a breeze out. I don't like Alabama but we really owe it to the kids to make sure they see it all.

Once he sees Duke Johnson go for 130 yards & 2 touchdowns against Louisville on Labor Day & Tennesee get upset by Utah State & blown out by Oklahoma, he will feel differently. Almost every recruit loves their visits to Tennessee they put on a show.

Does anyone know a good online place to order purple and gold yarn? I'm wanting to get some homemade snuggies made in case we have any Miami boys that end up making it out to Baton Rouge this summer. I'm not sure many of you know this, but... many of them have never been outside Florida before. We should probably get them to Norman OK after that so they can become more culturally aware and see all the things that this world has to offer.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Swagger workin' HARD in these threads. Kudos.

Also, just gimme 2 good RBs this cycle. There are enough good ones out there that the names will shake themselves out, but we need 2.

what else is a recruit supposed to say? I hated my visit? Look, recruiting is a business and recruits are looking it as a business. When you go on several job interviews, do you not leave options open just in case your 1st option is not available anymore or it's not what you thought? Come on guys, can we please stop scrutinizing every single kids comments via twitter, 247 or Hudl. Plain and simple, if a kid decided to commit elsewhere, would we really want him anyway? All he would do is transfer somewhere else, anyway, once he puts on our uniform. Let them enjoy themselves; heck if I was back in high school and a prized recruit, dang right I would be enjoying myself going to visit as many top campuses as possible so I could enjoy all the "perks" (ladies) that come along w/ it.

Advertisement
That article is steaming pile of ****. Any person putting stock into that rubble. Needs to just hang themselves now.

Maybe he just not competitive enough to become a cane....Reading Frank Gore's story should help every recruit have a better understanding of what it really takes to become a bigger part of a team...Could you imagine if he had Payton, Davenport, Portis and McGhaee ahead of him on the same team? Wheres your heart young man..

Advertisement
every kid loves every visit to every school especially to a place that he has never been before.

Miami has the familiarity factory which can be a negative (kids can get bored)

Miami needs to sell hard on family, local pride, grooming talent for the NFL (which has been lacking), and wining (which has also been lacking.)

Maybe he just not competitive enough to become a cane....Reading Frank Gore's story should help every recruit have a better understanding of what it really takes to become a bigger part of a team...Could you imagine if he had Payton, Davenport, Portis and McGhaee ahead of him on the same team? Wheres your heart young man..

look, that's all true. however that was then. and this is now.

we need to get ballers on the team somehow someway. fix their mentality later on.

I think with articles like this you have to take it with a grain of salt. ****, that whole thing made it seem like he was about to say Fvck Miami and commit on the spot, we know thats not the case because he is still committed. Just said he had a good time. But if he is out there taking visits, he will know that we are doing the same thing. We never stopped recruiting his position. And there are BETTER prospects to be had, we are just going to sit back and allow him to take his visits. If anything changes, believe me, it wont be the end of the world.

Advertisement
Anyone surprised by a recruit liking a big school like Tenn lives under a rock. Kids love just about every visit they take and sometimes decide it was fun enough to go back for free on an OV. Who wouldn't like a personal tour of a big school, be treated like a king and have all their "employees" begging to ride the D?

I'd be taking ALL my OV's, THEN I'd commit to The U.

I'm still puzzled on why its a bad ideal to take three rbs and why Deondre Francois has not been made a priority. With him I think Williams would stick. Also I would take three backs in this class out of Scarlett, Williams, Cronkrite, K Merritt, Donte Jackson, and Javarius Davis. This would add speed and home run ability which it seemed like we lacked during last season. You can never have too many playmakers.

I'm sure he loves Tennessee but I wouldn't worry about this too much bc this dude is gonna take visits everywhere.

His team has already gone to USF, UCF, and Tennesee on bus trips this summer plus the visits he has schedule on his own.

Advertisement
Back