Dex Williams interview from Fla's Friday Night Lights

Jfizz1021

Freshman
By Derek Tyson from ESPN

Four-star running back remains committed to Miami

Despite Miami signing Joseph Yearby, the No. 4-ranked running back in the country last year, and having three running backs committed this year, ESPN 300 running back Dexter Williams said he remains strong in his commitment to the Hurricanes.

“It would be a good feeling to be in the backfield with them because all of them are great backs and they can do great things,” Williams said. "Wherever you go, there's competition. You've got to beat out your competitor.”

The Florida coaching staff was hoping to changes Williams’ mind on Friday but to no avail.

"They're just saying you can get on the field here," Williams said. "We're only going to take two [running backs]. They're taking four. Just think about it."

Williams admits his own father pushes him to switch his commitment to the Gators.

"He has loved the Gators since he was little, and he wants me to be a Gator a lot," Williams laughed. "So he tells me every morning, 'Be a Gator.' When I told him I was still thinking about it, he said, 'That's the way. That's where I want you to go.'"

Advertisement
His dad is like a dad who was in a fraternity at his old school and wants the family legacy to continue for example and thats not new. The good thing is I think that his persistence will help us so by all mean keep annoying him

Advertisement
I don't know his dad, but I thought early on in his recruitment that he lived with people other than his dad (could be wrong)? Anyway! His dad is a gayter fan and probably doesn't get it that he should support what his son wants to do. If my son had chosen to play for the gayters instead I would have supported him, but still secretly been a gayter hater :).

All I know is this kid is a stud and keeping him in the class would be a major success. Stay positive dexter

The longer he stays committed, the better chance we have. Muschamp's season is going to be ugly, so he won't want to go there, and FSU will end up with Patrick, so it's a wash with them competition-wise. Just gotta keep showing the love.

At least the Gaytors have a nice new uniform

492.jpg

Advertisement
His dad HAS to say something daily or else the Bull Gators don't send the Western Union money.

Jokes aside, at least it's an actual relative in his ear and not a "mentor". Just wish daddy had a little better judgement! Let's send ShaqDaddy to go talk to him! Nonetheless, Dex will be loved even more now here if he ignores everyone and wants to be a Cane.

Advertisement
When this kids scores the winning TD against Bama in a NC game a couple years from now, dad will be Cane for life. Come on down young man, Dad will come around.

Let's hope his dad is as persuasive as JC Jackson's dad was. JC's dad couldn't sell a peanut to a rich squirrel.

Advertisement
I wouldn't insult our recruits family member...... seems silly.

If I had a kid heavily recruited by miami and then another team I hate, say FSU, UF, ND, etc... I'd push for Miami as well. As long as he supports the kid if he still goes to Miami i see nothing wrong with it.

I just hope he's not successful. We've surely seen many parents over the past few years fail to convince their boys to stay home. Time to have a few go our way.

I aint worried about the dad. We had a mom run away with the LOI and still couldnt get the kid to go where she wanted. Its about time one of these goes our way

I aint worried about the dad. We had a mom run away with the LOI and still couldnt get the kid to go where she wanted. Its about time one of these goes our way

have you read Shaq's father's updates on his son's recruiting? we have some GREAT parents backing us up.

Thats a case of a kid wanting to go where he wants to go and other bs factors which god knows I dont want to even think about again. Fact is some kids just want to follow their own path and hopefully thats DW

Advertisement
Back