Dewan Hernandez

Is it conceivable that sitting out last season and then shining in the combines actually improved Dewan's draft status?

Advertisement
Is it conceivable that sitting out last season and then shining in the combines actually improved Dewan's draft status?

I don't think so. I think he was a 2nd rounder either year. But, Dewan might be a better basketball player today then he was a year ago and he sat the year out from competitive basketball. Getting your body right and training for a year without real responsibilities is a good gig if you can get it.

Darius Bazley did it and went Round 1. What a time to be alive.

I recall after the 2017-18 season the NBA evaluation was that he needed to add at least a mid-range game on offense and play better, and more consistent, defense. Apparently, he showed improvement in both areas at the Combines -- without the benefit of playing last season.

Advertisement
The champs already have a player that Dewan should attach to and try to pattern his game after: Pascal Siakam. It's a great landing spot because their G-League team develops guys well, and Dewan has the potential to get his perimeter game and defense up to a level where he can be a Siakam-like player.

Didn't expect him to get drafted at all, but landing w/Toronto is a great fit for his development.

Advertisement
Back