Dewan Hernandez

Advertisement
They just made that kid from kansas eligible for next year. Dewan should sue the ncaa and mark emmert.
While I would love to see Dewan play for the Canes again, and think the NCAA decisions on him were indeed harsh, I'm not sure the Sousa/Kansas case is all that comparable. Sousa was ruled unaware (according to the findings) of the perks some of his "camp" received to influence him. While the perks were less, Dewan was apparently "aware", if not directly involved.

You also have Sousa getting a new lease on Kansas life as a result of an appeal; lawsuits vs. NCAA open a whole different can of worms, especially since the whole bunch of fools need to be kicked out for their antics. Thus far, NCAA has too many friends in high places for that to seem possible.

Does anyone even know if Dewan would even want to return to UM? Sounds to me like he has "moved on." And yes, the de Souza case is different. When you knowingly take money you shouldn't ...

On a side note, I wonder if Dewan was up front with Coach L and Blake James from the get-go, or if he came clean at some later point? The classic, "How much did they know, and when did they know it?"

Last edited:
Advertisement
IMO, if Dewan is not going to be drafted in the 1st round of the NBA draft then he should come back to school, sit out the first 12 games on the 2019-20 season then turn pro. The only question is did he complete his academic classes for the spring semester.

Regardless of the Kansas situation, Dewan has an option to return and improve his stock. It is completely up to him.

If he doesn't go round 1 then he would have wasted a year. If he goes round 2 he'll end up D league anyway.

Might be better off going pro and getting on a D league team, learning the pro game and playing against semi pro competition while collecting a check. There seems to be some taboo about being a senior basketball player in college.

He should go pro. Better to be playing for a paycheck, whether it is overseas or in the US/Toronto, than to be playing for nothing.

Advertisement
I thought that Bruce brown could have used another year.

I am fine with him leaving. I just wish he would not have gotten hurt his sophomore year as Miami would have made the Sweet Sixteen.

Considering that Bruce started about 50 games (56 of 74 he played) for Detroit this season shows he did not need another year in college.

maybe but he started like 50+ games for Detroit so it's hard to say he didn't get needed experience.. DH has gotten invites from 18 NBA teams to workout. Bruce and Reed both got nice contracts in the second round.
Didn't know that. Good for him! And good for the U!

IMO, if Dewan is not going to be drafted in the 1st round of the NBA draft then he should come back to school, sit out the first 12 games on the 2019-20 season then turn pro. The only question is did he complete his academic classes for the spring semester.

Regardless of the Kansas situation, Dewan has an option to return and improve his stock. It is completely up to him.
I'm wondering even if he dropped out of school in the Spring 2019 semester, the admissions people - with some urging by Coach L - would probably readmit him for the upcoming 2019-20 academic year. Who agrees?

Advertisement
I'm wondering even if he dropped out of school in the Spring 2019 semester, the admissions people - with some urging by Coach L - would probably readmit him for the upcoming 2019-20 academic year. Who agrees?

That is the question no one seems to have an answer. It is pointless as of right now because it looks like he is not going to withdraw from the draft. He said his goal was to stay at Miami for 3 years and turn pro so technically he has achieved his goal. It is unfortunate he did not get to play his third year.

maybe but he started like 50+ games for Detroit so it's hard to say he didn't get needed experience.. DH has gotten invites from 18 NBA teams to workout. Bruce and Reed both got nice contracts in the second round.

on top of that, bruce is a year older than the traditional sophomore entrants last year. in the NBA, age is a big factor and another year wouldnt have made him go any higher

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back