Devil's advocate

Again, this is the same **** we hear every time a coach is failing here. It’s like clockwork. First, there’s the almost unanimous vitriol directed at the coach after a desultory loss. Then, a few guys start trying to blame players. Then, we get a large flood of guys claiming we have terrible talent and a lack of leadership on the team.

Sometimes, just look at history. Most of the time, the answer that makes sense is the right answer. Every single thing you contrarian devil’s advocate guys come up with to excuse Rick’s failure can be directly linked to Rick in year 3.

Advertisement
I can't reconcile the second half of your post with the opening: "I agree his offense does seem old and outdated. He also hasn't adjusted it to the talent or lack of talent on the team."

What QB is going to be successful playing under that circumstance? Jarren certainly won't. But there is so much more. You also didn't mention that his play calling is questionable at best. Running the ball into an 8 or 9 man front repeatedly on 1st down and thus forcing us into 2nd and 3rd and long over and over is no recipe for QB success. No motion. No jet sweeps. And above the basics, nothing innovative. He can blame execution all he wants, but no offense is going to have consistent success that does not attack a defense's weaknesses.

How do you have a 5 star receiver who is legitimately one of the fastest players in our conference, and he have zero receptions and maybe 1 or 2 touches all season, and yet your offense is 83rd in total offense and your passing offense is ranked 93. Canes have no idea just how much of a game changer Mark Pope and Lo are because Richt doesn't know how to use him. If they were on almost any other team they'd be a nightmare to deal with. Before the season started, DJ Dallas said Lo had ability that neither he nor Travis had. In effect, he said Lo was on another level. Why don't we see that? The "he can't pick up the blitz excuse is nonsense" on many levels. At the beginning of the season, he could have been used situationally. But the point here is that you have to know HOW to maximize the talent you have. Richt clearly doesn't.

I don't know how else to say it, but Richt has convinced himself that everyone else is wrong, and that in spite of our frankly poor numbers across the board on offense, he's staying the course while blaming the kids he recruited. That is delusional behavior.

Yes, we will pummel pathetic Duke, but we have zero chance of becoming our old selves without a total make over of our philosophy and approach on offense. Richt has given no indication that he is capable of making the necessary changes. None. Replacing the QB in a broken offensive system behind poor play calling is not a fix and is doomed to mediocrity.

I Love Devils Food cake...
devils-food-cake.jpg

Advertisement
I know correlation does not equal causation, but it's not exactly amazing how good coaching and good quarterbacking tend to occur at the same time.

Good coaches may get unfortunate with injuries, transfers, or busts and end up with a bad QB from time to time. Bad coaches don't evaluate, recruit, or develop well, and can make even talented QB's look bad.

People need to wake up, take the **** red pill, and just accept the truth that is slapping you in the face for what it is. This, "but but but but, maybeitsthisormaybeitsthat" hoping against hope bullchit is getting us no where.

The only way forward is via change. Accept it, people. Then DEMAND it.

thumb_oh-if-onlys-and-justs-were-candies-and-nuts-then-31917507.png

Advertisement
Back