Devastating Loss For FSU - Takeaways

FL Cane

Senior
Gotta say, thought that the FSU-GT game would be interesting, but FSU losing was never really a consideration. Much like the Noles opener last year, FSU looked good in the 1Q, but as GT settled in they faded. Honestly, both teams made a ton of mistakes and missed a lot of opportunities. GT probably should've won this game by a wider margin. Look out for GT's true freshman QB. Made some big mistakes, but has talent. FSU gets us in two weeks, with a bye week in between. Probably the second worst possible scenario for them, the first being them actually playing us next week. Overall, here are some takeaways from watching this barn burner (let me know what y'all think):

Offense
  • James Blackman took most of FSU's snaps at QB, but Jordan Travis came in for a few run packages throughout the second half. Blackman went 23/43 (53%) - 198 yds, 1TD and 1 INT. He looks exactly like he's looked the past few years. Lots of erratic throws, gave up lots of sacks, and was under pressure constantly. Travis came in for a few run packages, but it's evident his passing game is subpar.

• FSU's OL is as bad as ever. No real improvement from last year so far (to be fair this is the first game of the season, but they get us in two weeks so...). Surprisingly, they had a lot of OL go down tonight with apparent injuries. Hope that they're alright.

• FSU's run game is non-existent. Overall they had 90 yds on the ground, for 2.5 ypc, at 35 attempts. Both their RB's combined for 39 yds. They couldn't get anything going there all night, and we'll have a lot of opportunities for TFL's.

• Surprised we didn't see Terry get more targets. Overall their WR's have speed and are talented, but they can't capitalize on that if their QB can't get the ball to them.

• Overall, their offense racked up 288 total yds of offense and committed three turnovers. FSU just couldn't get their run game going, due to their OL, and they could not get in a rhythm in the passing game. If GT's defense, which was missing three starters, held these guys to under 300 yds, forced three turnovers, and had their QB running all night, we can too. Our DL will eat against this OL.
Defense

• GT's offense went up and down the field most of the night. Had it not been for GT shooting themselves in the foot with penalties and turnovers, they would've gotten well over the 16-points they scored. Overall, GT racked up 438 total yds of offense and committed two turnovers. Like I said before, their QB Sims made a lot of mistakes at the start, but really settled in and showed his talent.

• Other than Marvin Wilson, there isn't anyone of FSU's DL that's a concern. They're talented for sure, but no one up there but him is proven. Either way, GT handled their pass rush pretty well and opened up some lanes for their running game. Same with their LB's, nothing to write home about.

• The defense overall definitely has east/west speed, whenever GT tried to hit the flat or run outside they were stuffed.

• Their secondary is swiss cheese. GT's WR's made some great catches, and Sims some great passes, but the secondary just wasn't good. Asante Samuel Jr. had two gift-wrapped int's, but other than that they were gashed a number of times.
Overall, there's probably never been a better year to pay them back for 1997. Yes, it is a rivalry game and anything can happen. FSU could show up in two weeks and be a completely different team, they have the talent to do it. We could show up flat. They also don't have to go to the Rock with a 75,000 strong crowd. Right now though, this is a team that looks the same as they did last year, losing it's fourth straight opener. Norvell or not, when things got bad last year they threw in the towel.

King and our RB's should feast on this defense, and our DL should have no problem wreaking havoc in the trenches. Our game next week at Louisville is crucial. We get out of that game with a win, and we'll have major momentum while FSU is flat. Not to mention the recruiting benefits if we beat these guys for a fourth straight year. Much like Jimbo did to us multiple times, we've got an opportunity to tank their season, and drop them to 0-2.

Advertisement
Tamorian Terry came back just for this...man he should have gone to the pros
if i were him i'd opt out right now
If their season tanks, wouldn't be surprised to see some guys opt-out. After us, assuming we take care of business as we should, they get Jacksonville State, Notre Dame, UNC, Louisville, and Pitt. Rough schedule.

If their season tanks, wouldn't be surprised to see some guys opt-out. After us, assuming we take care of business as we should, they get Jacksonville State, Notre Dame, UNC, Louisville, and Pitt. Rough schedule.
They avoid Clemson ?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimbo really did a number on that program even though they won a title.

I know we’ve had some lean years but man FSU players look lifeless and like they could careless about FSU legacy.
He really stopped recruiting those last years there. Their OL is as bad as I've ever seen it. At least two cycles to fix it, assuming that the guys they bring in pan out. Also didn't help that they had Taggart for a season and a half. Minute the guy was hired I told all my FSU friends that he would be their Al Golden.

Advertisement
Jordan Travis was 0/1 passing. If that's what FSU wants to start against us then by all means. Not sure Norvell has the balls to do that.

Advertisement
Never understood how so many "experts" were saying FSU could be a dark horse team in the ACC and put them in a tier with UNC just below Clemson and Notre Dame. They have no OL, no QB (despite some claiming this would be Blackmans breakout year), no RBs, little depth, and a few very good defensive players surrounded by other mediocre players. I think Louisville, Pitt, and Miami all have more potential.

Jordan Travis was 0/1 passing. If that's what FSU wants to start against us then by all means. Not sure Norvell has the balls to do that.
Norvell is going to throw the kitchen sink at us. He loses to us the way I think they will, and he's looking at an 0-2 record with a brutal gauntlet of games ahead.

Advertisement
Back