Details on Friday meeting between Blake James and large donors

View as article
Advertisement
Might come dow. To Frenk making the final call.

I dont see how this doesnt start to get ugly. If its one thing rich folks hate more than spending money, its having the money they're willing to spend turned down.

This good at fundraising is horse****.

If you have successful and relevant football/basketball/baseball programs they do the fundraising itself with any kind of moron at the helm.

Donations for the entire school improve making Frenk look like less of a boob also.
Exactly. A highly visible successful football program would bring even more $$$ into the coffers. Bleak not understanding or realizing this is completely shortsighted.

I think people believe that there are a handful to a dozen BOT members when in fact there's 80'ish. While there are those who are more influential and hands on than others, they all get one vote apiece to make various decisions.

They want Blake gone, they gotta get the numbers.

They want a new position created, as in what's suggested with Highsmith, it has to be voted on.

Anything can be done if the numbers are on your side. There hasn't been a vote on the Highsmith position or one on firing Blake. Just talk amongst them, no different than other talking on here.

This really doesn't make sense. I brought this up and I see others mentioning it that this sounds like a strategic leak of misinformation to rile up fans and put more pressure on Blake to make something happen.

This could also be floating from Highsmith (his agent) to leverage negotiations. If he is unemployed right now (haven't seen he was officially fired yet) what kind of leverage would he have?
Stealing this theory from someone else but it makes a lot of sense. Oregon knows the only way they lose Mario is to the NFL or Miami. If they feel Zo is how Mario ends up back in Miami in a year then I can see them trying to find a way to bring Zo in under their roof to keep him and ultimately Mario from Miami.

Advertisement
What both Manny and James are obviously failing to realize is that Zo could be their savior.

And what baffles me is isn't Lashlee aware of all this chaos? And if so, he's still willing to take a chance at being out of a job at the end of the season?

I thought this was obvious but Blake is able to keep his job because we lead the nation in (a) apathy, (b) lack of accountability, and (c) hiring the unemployable.

I'm deeply concerned that our President is completely silent on all of these matters.

He won’t make it another year and it’s way more than a year too late.
Exactamundo. Are these Board
People sperm lottery winners or did they actually build something to make their mint? If it is the latter, how do they fall for this stuff? It is pure comedy. So now, a former Great with NFL pedigree is going to help another former great build a program 3,500 miles away. Fantastic!

Advertisement
Uncle Dee. Let me holla fam. If you’re right that it was big Stu, he was the chair of the BOT a few years back when I was there. Dimare and him are 2 of the top BOT members. If them boys say clap everyone claps. I don’t see what the hold up is if them boys involved.
It used to be that way. Not really sure why people think stu hasnt always been a sports guy. Ask anyone inside about that & they'll tell you hes just fed up. What ****es me off is both were instrumental in the problem at hand because of deal with mandy sr. But to acknowledge we have an issue that has to be dealt with is critical. Board has been split now for far too long because they all see themselves as so knowledgeable and opinionated if I had to guess. They're basically lobbying for control. Just have to figure out what the people voting against need to vote for. Flake and mandy will be **** out of luck if any of this is true. Especially cause paul is very hard headed. He wont take this lightly if it doesnt work out.

It used to be that way. Not really sure why people think stu hasnt always been a sports guy. Ask anyone inside about that & they'll tell you hes just fed up. What ****es me off is both were instrumental in the problem at hand because of deal with mandy sr. But to acknowledge we have an issue that has to be dealt with is critical. Board has been split now for far too long because they all see themselves as so knowledgeable and opinionated if I had to guess. They're basically lobbying for control. Just have to figure out what the people voting against need to vote for. Flake and mandy will be **** out of luck if any of this is true. Especially cause paul is very hard headed. He wont take this lightly if it doesnt work out.

None of them should have control. They should all want to bring in the best person to run athletics and allow them to have control. That is it.

Is Danny White too cheap for the school? Is he too qualified? Did he have too much success?

If they want Blake because they think he is good at his job and/or they want Blake because he is a puppet, they support this cancer that has infested the school.

So, the Highsmith proposal would usurp a portion of Blake's and Diaz's power, which Blake turned down. Of course, there is a hierarchy in any successful organization and this whole situation had the likely potential to create petty and destructive power struggles, along with great confusion throughout UM's Athletic Department, and most specifically, the coaches/ football players.

But, what makes no sense is Mario Cristobal considering Highsmith for a much more all-encompassing position that surpassed UM's offer to him. Thus, if you believe the report Cristobal and Oregon's Athletic Director are willing to give up some of their power to hire Highsmith. This simply does not pass the smell test, which makes one wonder about any of the above information.

Advertisement
Per a source with knowledge of the meeting, a group of high-level donors met with Blake James on Friday. The purpose of the meeting was to offer significant money if Manny was willing to make necessary changes.

Most notably, the group wanted Alonzo Highsmith to take on a general manager role that would usurp some of Blake and Manny’s power over the football program. One booster even offered to pay Highsmith’s salary for two years. Blake refused and instead offered a more traditional “chief of staff” role that was mostly administrative in nature.

Highsmith is not expected to accept the offer and instead is in discussions with Mario Cristobal at Oregon.

Blake had his opportunity and he failed. Fire him ASAP, hire Alonzo as AD & hire an Asst. AD/Administrator for him. This is pure nonsense, time to move on from Blake.

So, the Highsmith proposal would usurp a portion of Blake's and Diaz's power, which Blake turned down. Of course, there is a hierarchy in any successful organization and this whole situation had the likely potential to create petty and destructive power struggles, along with great confusion throughout UM's Athletic Department, and most specifically, the coaches/ football players.

But, what makes no sense is Mario Cristobal considering Highsmith for a much more all-encompassing position that surpassed UM's offer to him. Thus, if you believe the report Cristobal and Oregon's Athletic Director are willing to give up some of their power to hire Highsmith. This simply does not pass the smell test, which makes one wonder about any of the above information.

I believe the first part, but not Oregon opportunity. Unless Cristobal is just being a vindictive ***. Which I can believe!

Advertisement

I ran into ole Stu a couple times fam in passing. Homie as Smug as they come. I think they’re all seen as anti sports because they’ve never been quick to act when it’s obvious change is needed.

My take is the AH to oregon rumor was created for those board members who wanted both AH and Mario, in an attempt to get them to act.

Advertisement
Back