Deshaun Watson to Dolphins?

Advertisement
Yeah **** em. Ride with Tua for now. Most I would give is Tua, #18 and maybe #36 and a late round pick or two. Would still leave is with a 1st, 2nd and whatever is leftover.

I wanted to ask someone more familiar with our cap situation about this. I know we're in a decent place but not like last offseason. Wonder if Watson would be willing to re-work his contract, or if thats even a possibility.
A few details:
1. Tua's deal is relatively cap friendly. If he turns out to be the franchise quarterback, we have him relatively cheaply for the next three years. That's money that can be used elsewhere. The Seahawks were able to do this during Wilson's rookie contract. Your challenge is when you're the Baltimore Ravens and you give the quarterback (Flacco) an excessive amount of money, preventing investment elsewhere.

2. Miami is $25.6M under the cap. If Tua is traded, the remainder of his $19.6M signing bonus accelerates into the 2021 season.

3. If Watson is traded to Miami, we would incur a $10.5M cap hit in 2021. That eats up the rest of our cap, and we have to cut a player.

Tua's value is QB5 in this class so worth a mid-late 1st. Market for unproven young QBs isn't gonna be stronger than that.

Tua, the #3 overall pick and Miami 2021 1st is a starting point for one of the 3 most valuable players/contracts in the NFL. You're a delusional Phins homer if you think otherwise.

Tua's value is QB5 in this class so worth a mid-late 1st. Market for unproven young QBs isn't gonna be stronger than that.

Tua, the #3 overall pick and Miami 2021 1st is a starting point for one of the 3 most valuable players/contracts in the NFL. You're a delusional Phins homer if you think otherwise.
It’s been 21 years since Marino retired. Delusional is what we do.

That's a hilarious tone. What is a fair deal in theory doesn't mean it's something you have to offer a Houston franchise potentially stuck. More than likely, for multiple reasons (one of which is no team is gonna bail them out with what's "fair"), they'll keep Watson.

Advertisement
A few details:
1. Tua's deal is relatively cap friendly. If he turns out to be the franchise quarterback, we have him relatively cheaply for the next three years. That's money that can be used elsewhere. The Seahawks were able to do this during Wilson's rookie contract. Your challenge is when you're the Baltimore Ravens and you give the quarterback (Flacco) an excessive amount of money, preventing investment elsewhere.

2. Miami is $25.6M under the cap. If Tua is traded, the remainder of his $19.6M signing bonus accelerates into the 2021 season.

3. If Watson is traded to Miami, we would incur a $10.5M cap hit in 2021. That eats up the rest of our cap, and we have to cut a player.
What if we included Xavien Howard in the deal?

That's a hilarious tone. What is a fair deal in theory doesn't mean it's something you have to offer a Houston franchise potentially stuck. More than likely, for multiple reasons (one of which is no team is gonna bail them out with what's "fair"), they'll keep Watson.
How is Houston stuck? They have one of the game's elite players under contract. They have no reason to trade him for any less than a king's ransom. This isn't the NBA and Watson has no leverage to force a trade.

If any team is stuck in this situation it's the Dolphins because they don't have a franchise QB. If they commit to another year of Tua and he doesn't improve they will likely have to pay equivalent pick value to trade up for a rookie QB like the Rams did with Goff (2 1sts, 2 2nds and 2 3rds). And then you end up with an inferior QB after wasting years of a competitive roster.

This isn't a difficult tossup. If Watson is available the Dolphins would be utter fools not to make a deal happen. If he isn't available then Stafford should be strongly considered.

I like Tua.

You're hoping Tua gets to Watson's level QB.

If you have a chance to get Watson, you just hedge the Tua bet and get him. Tua + picks? That seems academic to me, idk. You make that move and understand that with the current staff/roster makeup, you're going to the playoffs a lot moving forward.

Advertisement
How is Houston stuck? They have one of the game's elite players under contract. They have no reason to trade him for any less than a king's ransom. This isn't the NBA and Watson has no leverage to force a trade.

If any team is stuck in this situation it's the Dolphins because they don't have a franchise QB. If they commit to another year of Tua and he doesn't improve they will likely have to pay equivalent pick value to trade up for a rookie QB like the Rams did with Goff (2 1sts, 2 2nds and 2 3rds). And then you end up with an inferior QB after wasting years of a competitive roster.

This isn't a difficult tossup. If Watson is available the Dolphins would be utter fools not to make a deal happen. If he isn't available then Stafford should be strongly considered.
How is Houston stuck in the scenario their franchise QB severs ties and demands a trade? When they have minimal assets and an atrocious roster? Ha. Ok. Good luck to them. Like I said, I think Watson remains and they try to start from scratch around him. If he's willing, that is...

The 49ers would be happy to trade Garapolo and two #1s. And garapolo is worth a lot more in the trade market than Tua.

How is Houston stuck in the scenario their franchise QB severs ties and demands a trade? When they have minimal assets and an atrocious roster? Ha. Ok. Good luck to them. Like I said, I think Watson remains and they try to start from scratch around him. If he's willing, that is...
That scenario is exceedingly unlikely. It's almost unprecedented - Carson Palmer is the only example that comes to mind and he was in his 30s with $80 million in career earnings (double Watson's). Watson is young and in the prime of his career with the opportunity to reset the market on his next deal. Literally hundreds of millions at stake if he threatens retirement.

The assets and roster situation is good incentive to make the trade, though keep in mind Titans' window is closing shut and Watson can elevate muck into #2 in division and a low playoff seed. I don't see the internal or external leverage to force a poor value Vince Carter to Nets type of trade offer.
The 49ers would be happy to trade Garapolo and two #1s. And garapolo is worth a lot more in the trade market than Tua.
Shanahan has his "type" for QBs and I'm not sure Watson fits with the way he extends plays and improvises. No way Jimmy has more trade value than Tua too.

Advertisement
That scenario is exceedingly unlikely. It's almost unprecedented - Carson Palmer is the only example that comes to mind and he was in his 30s with $80 million in career earnings (double Watson's). Watson is young and in the prime of his career with the opportunity to reset the market on his next deal. Literally hundreds of millions at stake if he threatens retirement.

The assets and roster situation is good incentive to make the trade, though keep in mind Titans' window is closing shut and Watson can elevate muck into #2 in division and a low playoff seed. I don't see the internal or external leverage to force a poor value Vince Carter to Nets type of trade offer.

Shanahan has his "type" for QBs and I'm not sure Watson fits with the way he extends plays and improvises. No way Jimmy has more trade value than Tua too.
Who suggested he'd threaten retirement? I suggested he'd threaten to shut down (not show up, etc.), sulk, and demand a trade. Realistically, he'd likely make a PR stink about social justice, as has been hinted. Basically, he could make the situation difficult. Anyway, for the third time, I don't know why we're discussing at any significant length. I wouldn't bail the Texans out for what's fair. I suspect they wouldn't let themselves get crushed a third time. So, Deshaun Watson the Texan is most likely.

Shutting down like that would cost him in salary and fines. He would have to temporarily retire to make good on his threats. That's what Palmer did before he got traded to the Raiders.

So, yeah, the Texans aren't in a situation to be bailed out of. They have the belle of the ball - an elite QB who's young and under contract. They hold the cards.

Three way deal. They send us Watkins, we send them Tua. The Dolphins hire Manny Diaz and trade him as well. Dolphins keep their draft picks. Everyone is happy. Well, except the Texans, but who cares about their mental well-being?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back