Derrick Harmon - DT MSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
And you’re not wrong, I just don’t think it’s relevant in the fall. When the games are played, you either have the horses or you don’t. Nobody is going to care about the “why.”

If it wasn’t going to be Harmon, then they needed another solution and I would argue they’ve had enough time between Winter and today to find someone who fits the mold who they could have brought in

Yes, but...

This is the stuff that gets debated on the board nonstop...

Since we can all acknowledge that there is "legal tampering"...

But we have certain posters are critical when we do NOT jump on an early Portal entrant because "we know" that certain people are going to enter in the spring. Yes, there is risk.

And when we jump on a kid early, there are certain posters who say "is this the best we can do" and hypothesize about the guys who might be entering the Portal later. So we are "damned if we do, damned if we don't".

And none of this even factors in NIL. Even though NOT every player who left UM did so for "NIL reasons", the fact remains that we freed up a lot of money recently that was being spent on other players. If a December Portal entry wants too much, you have to consider THAT as a potential reason why "we waited".

The bottom line is that Mario is crazy-competitive, and he's a crazy recruiter. There is no lack of effort in working to recruit DTs. I'm not arguing with an "end results" sense of frustration on anyone's part, I'm just saying that it's not the same as "waiting" or "failing" or "not making the effort".

I’m just curious if we offered this guy the most money by far and he still chose to go somewhere else - what do you want the staff to do?
Isn't this the kid whose mother had a stroke last season? He was able to go home to see her . maybe distance is a factor.

You cannot "buy" everyone but some don't understand that.

If we don’t land him then that’s how I would characterize it. Good job in the portal so far, not good enough though unfortunately since we need a massive year this year.

Offensive talent looks good, defense is still suspect and didn’t get addressed adequately
There are other DTs still, even if we don’t land him.

Advertisement
I think we need a NT in the portal. However if we landed Barrow and not Harmon, we still are improved relative to pre-spring, because imo he is an upgrade over JHH who is possibly better against pass, but is worse against run.

we just still need a NT that can play at least like 200+ snaps on early downs for our run D.

Yes but she’s in Michigan I believe, California/Colorado not much of a difference to Miami.

Do they have family in California? Colorado? Miami?

Who knows what the reasons are, for certain. But we just keep beating on the same single assumption over and over and over and over and over again.

Advertisement

Who?

Strange that Colorado could get a visit but we couldn't. In any case, after the portal closes tomorrow, looks like the only options will be grad transfers since they can transfer anytime.

Yes, but...

This is the stuff that gets debated on the board nonstop...

Since we can all acknowledge that there is "legal tampering"...

But we have certain posters are critical when we do NOT jump on an early Portal entrant because "we know" that certain people are going to enter in the spring. Yes, there is risk.

And when we jump on a kid early, there are certain posters who say "is this the best we can do" and hypothesize about the guys who might be entering the Portal later. So we are "damned if we do, damned if we don't".

And none of this even factors in NIL. Even though NOT every player who left UM did so for "NIL reasons", the fact remains that we freed up a lot of money recently that was being spent on other players. If a December Portal entry wants too much, you have to consider THAT as a potential reason why "we waited".

The bottom line is that Mario is crazy-competitive, and he's a crazy recruiter. There is no lack of effort in working to recruit DTs. I'm not arguing with an "end results" sense of frustration on anyone's part, I'm just saying that it's not the same as "waiting" or "failing" or "not making the effort".

And you know I’m a big big Mario fan. **** I think I was the only one on this board defending him after Georgia Tech, I’m bought in that he’s the right coach to lead us back and I stand behind that. And I feel like we need to support him with NIL and such to help him get the players he thinks he needs.

But I’m also super competitive and want to win, and figuring out DT is an important key piece of making that happen. I would bet Mario sees it the same way.

Also god**** it, this is Miami. It doesn’t look like Miami without elite DT’s. Harmon is no Russell Maryland, **** he’s no Vince Wilfork, but dammit great DT play is in our DNA and it’s what we’re supposed to look like. Not ****ting on our current players but we need someone there who can be a grown *** man and a wrecking ball to allow our elite DEs to eat and take some pressure off the back end of the defense

Advertisement
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Looks like we aren’t landing him. So who, I wonder. Guess we’ll find out in the next few days, or we roll with what we have and hope our offense can carry us to 10 wins

We have enough at DT to win the majority of our schedule so we should take a step forward anyway. We’ll probably fall short against better teams though who can take advantage of our lack of size and playmakers up the middle of the defense. The games we lose will be the ones where Cam Ward has an off day, I don’t see this defense winning any games for us

Reactions: E1k
Advertisement
Fitting that some people on this board get the retort that they didn't want to listen to a few weeks ago. Wonder what the problem was? Clearly there is enough players available and not just two, riiiiiight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back