Derrick Harmon - DT MSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Portal kids are mercenaries. We needed to separate from the pack.

We’ve done a great job on offense in the portal but defense has been average as **** ngl. Even with Barrow it’s still just average and when you factor in the talent we lost to the NFL and portal I think it’s debatable if we even got any better on that side of the ball. Linebacker is the only position group on defense I feel is good enough right now plus our three top DE’s if everyone stays healthy, still thin at safety, CB, DT, and missing elite talent at all those spots.

We shouldn’t have waited for spring portal season when the talent level overall is less. When you do that you have to land all of your targets…for example if we would have tried for Walter Nolan nobody would complain about missing on Harmon but it is what it is.
We separated when we got ward. Got by far the best qb in the acc and we have never had that

Advertisement
Against lesser teams I agree. He would have made the difference against better teams though.

Just disappointing since this was supposed to be “all in” must win type of season. Good job in the portal but not good enough. Good job on offense, but some areas on defense went unaddressed and we will definitely notice that at points during the season IMO
Besides DT what positions on defense went "unaddressed"?

It's crazy that people call not getting Harmon a fail.. like the kid is a rock that you can just pick up. Just completely ignore that the kid has his own mind and could possibly not want go somewhere no matter how much money is offered. "Fail" without having any idea what happened or any inside information. Take the ******* blinders off, there's more to the world than 'I want, I get!'

Against lesser teams I agree. He would have made the difference against better teams though.

Just disappointing since this was supposed to be “all in” must win type of season. Good job in the portal but not good enough. Good job on offense, but some areas on defense went unaddressed and we will definitely notice that at points during the season IMO
I’m just curious if we offered this guy the most money by far and he still chose to go somewhere else - what do you want the staff to do?

Advertisement
While I do not believe NIL was the reason for Harmon canceling his visit, you make some excellent points. I agree with most including your assessment that Safety, CB and DT are thin but I disagree that those positions lack elite talent. Their is some elite talent at DT its just that they are true freshmen. Damari Brown is an elite talent at CB with Richard and Stafford having the potential to be very good players but they are young and we are thin there. Safety needs the biggest infusion of elite talent with true freshman Zaquan Patterson being the only truly elite player at the position. The next 2 classes will see us stack elite talent at all three of those position groups on top of the young elite talent already there. The future is 🌞.

Agree that the future is bright, my complaint is about 2024 specifically because I don’t think true freshman are the answer at DT and safety.

We’re scary soft up the middle of the defense besides Kiko, who I’m very high on. Kiko is a playoff caliber linebacker but DT and safety….the middle of the defense, I’m in no way sold about what we’re rolling out there. Also CB im not sold.

We separated when we got ward. Got by far the best qb in the acc and we have never had that

Good thing. Wish they would have gone all in though and not just part way, you gotta play both defense and offense

I’m just curious if we offered this guy the most money by far and he still chose to go somewhere else - what do you want the staff to do?
I know what Fred is trying to say and I agree with him. He’s trying to keep it PC, but I’ll say it for him.

Mario should’ve held members of Harmon’s family hostage until he agreed to sign. It’s a fail that we couldn’t lock him and/or family members in a room until the ink was dry. We need better hostage tactics and a better leader in hostage personnel.

It’s a fail because the need went unaddressed. They waited until the Spring portal, Harmon was the only available option at that point who addressed our need, and they whiffed.

It didn’t have to be Harmon specifically- they had all offseason to find an answer - but at this point in time he’s the only comparable option still left on the board

Advertisement
According to Flo, Harmon isn’t directly speaking to coaches. All communication with schools is being done through an agent.

So either an agreement couldn’t be decided on or the staff didn’t appreciate that the player himself wasn’t in communication.
But in all likelihood his agent just wants all options on the table for his client.

Advertisement
It’s a fail because the need went unaddressed. They waited until the Spring portal, Harmon was the only available option at that point who addressed our need, and they whiffed.

It didn’t have to be Harmon specifically- they had all offseason to find an answer - but at this point in time he’s the only comparable option still left on the board
you're using past tense as if it's late december not late april.

According to Flo, Harmon isn’t directly speaking to coaches. All communication with schools is being done through an agent.

So either an agreement couldn’t be decided on or the staff didn’t appreciate that the player himself wasn’t in communication.
But in all likelihood his agent just wants all options on the table for his client.
IF this is true..sounds like the ole, "Give us your best offer, THEN we will see if its worth visiting" type situation. And I dont blame Mario for not playing that game.

Not a good look if true so wouldn't blame the coaches for telling him to kick rocks. Guys like Ward and Martinez - who are way more proven - weren't above that and Harmon hasn't earned the right to be communicating with schools through intermediaries

Advertisement
How did the Rams win a Super Bowl with a 280 LB. DT. That Aaron Donald guy somehow survived the NFL trenches. Sometimes we can overthink things. With a good rotation we will be fine.
They did it by putting 6-1 315 lb double team taking, run stuffing fire hydrant Greg Gaines next to him which allowed Donald to play the 3 tech.

Bobby Brown was Gaines backup, 6-4 324

Agree that the future is bright, my complaint is about 2024 specifically because I don’t think true freshman are the answer at DT and safety.

We’re scary soft up the middle of the defense besides Kiko, who I’m very high on. Kiko is a playoff caliber linebacker but DT and safety….the middle of the defense, I’m in no way sold about what we’re rolling out there. Also CB im not sold.
Oh I wasn't disagreeing at all just answering the points that I thought I could add to. Also I never implied that the true freshmen were the answer. I understand that you are not concerned about the future but instead this year and I share your concerns. I've spent all morning banging my drum about how crucial it is that we get not 1 but 2 DTs. Ideally I would want 3 but that's not likely. Getting back on track, I have said that of the two MSU DTs that Harmon was the most important due to his size, strength and ability to blow up everything in front of him. We have nobody like him on the roster. Barrow is an outstanding player but he doesn't solve our biggest issue inside. Depth at CB is what worried me the most and with the addition of Dyonni Hill plus another DB we should be good there because Brown, Richard, Stafford and Porter are all talented. The first three in that list just need more time and reps in order to develop. At Safety, we could be able to move Powell from Nickel back to FS which is where he is needed most. At the other Safety position we will have Riley, Patterson, Williams and Harris battling it out.

Not a good look if true so wouldn't blame the coaches for telling him to kick rocks. Guys like Ward and Martinez - who are way more proven - weren't above that and Harmon hasn't earned the right to be communicating with schools through intermediaries

Yeah that’s fine, but none of that is going to matter in the fall when the games are played, when FSU has the ball and it’s 4th and goal and we need a stop.

It doesn’t have to be Harmon but the clock is ticking and they need to figure something out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back