D'Eriq King measuring in at 5'8" at the East/West Shrine Game.

Advertisement
His only hope is to move to slot receiver, sadly. Or, maybe he can stick around a scout team for a few years. There’s just no way he will make an active roster. He would kill it in coaching though
IMO he would do the best by talking to Mario re a grad asst. position and get enough NIL$ to get by and jump right into coaching. Lashley already had him calling plays and that's where his future lies.

Dynamic and exciting. The best QB since Dorsey despite being limited as a passer. Not to mention an A+ leader and role model. I don’t think he was ever really comfortable in Lashlee’s system because if you look at his deep ball numbers at Houston with Kendal Briles, he was one of the best in the nation.

As far as height, the general consensus has been that he’s closer to 5’9” than 5’11” since pretty much his first day on campus.

He might have the right tools but not the right size. Small QBs don’t do well in the NFL, or don’t last.
Never mentioned QB, agreed too small, but there’s other tools in his box. Versatility for one and in todays NFL that’s a plus.

Advertisement
All love for my guy. Could’ve went to about 110 schools coming out of Houston and decided to come here. Balled the **** out, for the most part, in 2020. A leader on and off the field. A face for a program. Best of luck to him, always. He’s family.

There are a lot of kids who have come through this program who you can say negative **** about and I won’t think you’re a ******* loser. This ain’t one. You wanna critique his game, no problem. But kids like this should be embraced by those who claim to support this program. He’s a great young man and deserves the utmost respect from this family.

All love for my guy. Could’ve went to about 110 schools coming out of Houston and decided to come here. Balled the **** out, for the most part, in 2020. A leader on and off the field. A face for a program. Best of luck to him, always. He’s family.

There are a lot of kids who have come through this program who you can say negative **** about and I won’t think you’re a ******* loser. This ain’t one. You wanna critique his game, no problem. But kids like this should be embraced by those who claim to support this program. He’s a great young man and deserves the utmost respect from this family.

The NFL measured him just over 5'8" in the spring so the cats been out of the bag for awhile on that. He brought a lot of excitement and one of the toughest players I've seen in awhile. If he's serious about wanting an NFL career he needs to play in the slot and as a return man and he can carve out a Randle El type role

Advertisement
Man y’all got to rewatch the games.

The offense stalled against Oklahoma State because Lashlee kept spamming the qb run. King was 10-13 when he went down. Lashlee couldn’t do that with Perry or Van Dyke.

Over times, teams figured out that if you challenged D’eriq being too aggressive in the secondary, he would tear you apart for huge plays running AND throwing. The smart dcs played way off and kept everything in front while taking away the inside zone with alignment. Lashlee had no answer.

Teams played much more aggressively against TVD in the secondary and he struggled early on. Lashlee’s lack of experience with a high octane passing attack was becoming a problem. Apparently, Likens stepped up and helped Lashlee be more productive in the passing game.

D’eriq’s atheletic ability allowed Lashlee to fall into the comfort zone of his Malzhan grooming. He did not run the same offense as Perry or TVD. King wasn’t perfect, but Lashlee had a ton to do with the offense stalling.

We could have used King even better, even with him being as productive as he was overall.
An OC can only run what his QB is able to run. There's a reason the O changed with Perry and TVD. Different strengths, and different weaknesses.

Y’all lame af shading king. He was great in 2020 season, he was just hurt last year
Yes he was. Remember how obsessed we were with him potentially coming back? And how relieved we were that he was ready for 2021? Much respect for King.

And yes he is short as ****.

Advertisement
IMO he would do the best by talking to Mario re a grad asst. position and get enough NIL$ to get by and jump right into coaching. Lashley already had him calling plays and that's where his future lies.
He made a lot of NIL this past season.... Not sure of the exact numbers but it was rumored to be a few hundred thousand possibly more... He did well for himself...

Advertisement
Everybody knew he wasn't your pro typical QB but he was a leader who could move the sticks, elusive runner, competitive as ****, make plays and he had a heart. Body built, durability, arm strength and accuracy...................not so much. At least in my eyes and I don't claim to be good in evaluating QB's.
Oh, and I'm thankful for him coming and trying his best to help the team.

This is not a knock on King its the staff trying to make the young men look taller and bigger, theres several DL listed at 300 ounds and there closer to 275

Advertisement
Back