2023 Derek Williams 2023 Safety

Advertisement
Advertisement
Why are you inventing a positon on this D? UGA has a position called a STAR, not us.
I don't care what Steele calls it. Couch is a nickel. Gil is Star.

The Star is a hybrid safety/OLB defender traditionally. Let him replace Gil and Couch as he has done well in man coverage and has more ability to rush the QB than Couch. Move Couch back to CB or let him rotate in when we go dime.

The Joker in our D has been Kelly and Harvey.

Overall, Steele hasn't played much base 4-3 because we don't have the LB talent.

The Star is a hybrid safety/OLB defender traditionally. Let him replace Gil and Couch as he has done well in man coverage and has more ability to rush the QB than Couch. Move Couch back to CB or let him rotate in when we go dime.

Overall, Steele hasn't played much base 4-3 because we don't have the LB talent.
So he’s got to replace a guy who didn’t play? Couch is now a hybird LB?

That made sense to you when you were typing it?

Advertisement

Couch is terrible

So he’s got to replace a guy who didn’t play? Couch is now a hybird LB?

That made sense to you when you were typing it?
I'm not sure why Gil didn't play but my guess would be lack of size/speed. JW0 is a much longer, faster, and bigger player than Gil.

Where did I call Couch a hybrid LB? I called him a Nickel. I called JW0 and Gil hybrid S/OLB types.

The idea that JW can't take snaps from Couch allowing Steele to play more base D is pretty simple to understand.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Steele's star position is a nickel. He's said it over and over. That's why Couch played this year and Frierson didn't. There was no striker. James Williams is not a nickel and will not be playing star in this defense.

As for Derek Williams, I would take him as D$'s surprise over the next week.

Steele's star position is a nickel. He's said it over and over. That's why Couch played this year and Frierson didn't. There was no striker. James Williams is not a nickel and will not be playing star in this defense.

As for Derek Williams, I would take him as D$'s surprise over the next week.
J Williams at LB could happen , not sure how I feel about that but it’s very possible.

Advertisement
Back