DE. AQM/Trent Harris/Demetrius Jackson
SLB Darrion Owens/Tyriq McCord/Jamie Gordinier
MLB Raphael Kirby/Juwon Young/
WLB Jermaine Grace/Marques Gayot/Charles Perry
CB. Artie Burns/Tracy Howard(Nickel)/Michael Jackson-Kerr
CB. Corn Elder/Sheldrick Redwine/Ryan Mayes
S. Deon Bush/Jamal Carter/
S. Rayshawn Jenkins/Dallas Crawford/Jaquan Johnson

It's very clear that we cannot afford injuries to any starters at OL, LB, and CB.

Also the DL finally has some front line talent and quality depth for the first time in what seems like forever.

There is no excuse for the defensive front not to shine.

If Isidora can hold down RT then I would like to see McDermott at G. I think it's where he is best suited to play. I have no problem with him playing RT however.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Playing a freshman who's 4th string is a waste. If Walton isn't 1st or 2nd team, he should redshirt.

Same deal at QB ... Testaverde should be 3rd.

Corner depth is an issue. Losing Antonio Crawford will be huge if we have injuries at that position.

I'm ok with the LB depth. Aside from the game against GT, we should see a lot of 2-LB defensive sets.

Just for fun. Here goes.....

Offense

WR. Rayshawn Scott/Tyre Brady
WR(slot) Herb Waters/Braxton Berrios
WR Stacy Coley/Malcolm Lewis
LT Trevor Darling/Tyree St Louis
RG Alex Gall/Hunter Wells
C. Nick Linder/Alex Gall
RG Danny Isadora/Joe Brown
RT. KC McDermott/Sonny Odogwu
TE. Standish Dobard/Chris Herndon/David Njoku
QB. Brad Kayaa/Malik Rosier/Evan Shireffs
RB Gus Edwards/Joe Yearby/Trayone Gray/Mark Walton
FB. Walter Tucker

Defense

DE Chad Thomas/Ufomba Kamalu/Richard McIntosh/Jelani Hamilton
NT Calvin Hertelou/Michael Wyche/Earl Moore
DT. Anthony Moten/Coutrel Jenkins/Kendrick Norton
DE. AQM/Trent Harris/Demetrius Jackson
SLB Darrion Owens/Tyriq McCord/Michael Smith
MLB Raphael Kirby/Juwon Young/
WLB Jermaine Grace/Marques Gayot/Charles Perry
CB. Artie Burns/Tracy Howard(Nickel)/Michael Jackson
CB. Corn Elder/Sheldrick Redwine/Ryan Mayes
S. Deon Bush/JamalCarter/
S. Rayshawn Jenkins/Dallas Crawford/Jaquan Johnson

It's very clear that we cannot afford injuries to any starters at OL, LB, and CB.

Also the DL finally has some front line talent and quality depth for the first time in what seems like forever.

There is no excuse for the defensive front not to shine.

If Isadora can hold down RT then I would like to see McDermott at G. I think it's where he is best suited to play. I have no problem with him playing RT however.

Thoughts?

What happens if we call you "Psycho"?

guys we have a long way to go, to speculate on a depth chart, we're nowhere near even looking at it, maybe by the VT game we may have an idea, but why discuss it?

-Al "phuckwad" Grohlden

Playing a freshman who's 4th string is a waste. If Walton isn't 1st or 2nd team, he should redshirt.

Corner depth is an issue. Losing Antonio Crawford will be huge if we have injuries at that position.

I'm ok with the LB depth. Aside from the game against GT, we should see a lot of 2-LB defensive sets.

What's with all this garbage about redshirting kids? If the kid can help you win then you play him. He should at least be on all special teams. I'd put him at gunner just like GA did with Sony. If a kid can help you win, and you need kids like this on all special teams, then you play him. Why waste a year with a redshirt when he likely won't be here for a 5th year. Stop living in the past.

Advertisement

What's with all this garbage about redshirting kids? If the kid can help you win then you play him. He should at least be on all special teams. I'd put him at gunner just like GA did with Sony. If a kid can help you win, and you need kids like this on all special teams, then you play him. Why waste a year with a redshirt when he likely won't be here for a 5th year. Stop living in the past.

Yeah, if Walton is any good he is gone in three years anyway. If he isn't good then red shirting him is just taking up roster space from a future NFL back.

Redshirt OL and DL that need physical development, but if you look at FSU, LSU, and Bamas latest draft classes, most kids are three and done.

Yeah, if Walton is any good he is gone in three years anyway. If he isn't good then red shirting him is just taking up roster space from a future NFL back.

Redshirt OL and DL that need physical development, but if you look at FSU, LSU, and Bamas latest draft classes, most kids are three and done.

I'm asking this in the most respectful tone possible ...

Are you suggesting Gus Edwards, Joe Yearby, and Trayone Gray are the equivalent of Todd Gurley, Nick Chubb, and Keith Marshall?

Because Sony being 4th string to those guys is different, IMO, than Walton being 4th string to the guys we have ...

On the redshirt topic ... It's not about the 5th year, to me. I'm just looking at how we used our 4th string back last year ... That was a wasted season for Gray, IMO.

If we ran the ball as much as UGA does, it might make sense. But I think it makes more sense to split our 450 carries 3 ways, than splitting them 4 ways ...

I'm not the "redshirt every freshmen" guy. I understood why Duke played, understood why Coley played, too. Those guys were game changers, and deserved their spot in the 2-deep when they were freshmen. If Walton is a game changer, he should play. But if they are going to use him the same they used Gray, it's a waste, IMO.

Advertisement

Are you suggesting Gus Edwards, Joe Yearby, and Trayone Gray are the equivalent of Todd Gurley, Nick Chubb, and Keith Marshall?

Because Sony being 4th string to those guys is different, IMO, than Walton being 4th string to the guys we have ...

On the redshirt topic ... It's not about the 5th year, to me. I'm just looking at how we used our 4th string back last year ... That was a wasted season for Gray, IMO.

If we ran the ball as much as UGA does, it might make sense. But I think it makes more sense to split our 450 carries 3 ways, than splitting them 4 ways ...

I'm not the "redshirt every freshmen" guy. I understood why Duke played, understood why Coley played, too. Those guys were game changers, and deserved their spot in the 2-deep when they were freshmen. If Walton is a game changer, he should play. But if they are going to use him the same they used Gray, it's a waste, IMO.

Facts are a bit skewed here. There's no comparison with the backs on the UGA roster when healthy, but Gurley got hurt and Marshall was never healthy. Sony was the 2nd back last year - not 4th team - and got plenty of carries.

Also easy to second-guess the Miami staff for not redshirting Gray, but you don't redshirt quality backs in this day and age. Any RB that is redshirted (san injury) is one you shouldn't have signed. There are no projects at RB. A quality back is likely gone after three years, anyway. And in the case of Gray, who was an academic risk, it'd be crazy to sit him and run the risk of him flunking out before he ever saw the field.

I just hope he gets a starting 11 on each side and lets them run with it right up to kick off instead of this last minute you are on you are out Bull****...

let the 2nd team ****ers work their as off and when the HAVE to play they ball out

I agree with most of your work, but I think you are vastly underestimating Hamilton. I wouldn't be surprised if he were the breakout player of the year on defense.

and a lot of significant contributors for FSU last year were freshmen....this redshirt stuff is crazy. A true redshirt candidate these days would be someone like a Sunny Odogwu coming in....SUPER raw but somebody who could potentially be something big someday.
Why redshirt a guy who is ready and better?
Why redshirt a guy whose "ceiling" is a 4 year 3rd stringer?

Advertisement
Just based on what I read about the scrimmage I think Walton surpassed Gray as the #3 back and Brown moved into RG, Isidora to RT. Other than that it looks good.

If Brown really moved into a starter out of nowhere imo, that seems to give the OL a little more depth than I initially thought. KC, St. Louis, Sunny, Knighton, Jones etc in the second unit.

I wasn't really arguing Michel was 4th string ... But the guy I was responding to was equating how UGA used Michel to how we could use Walton. I thought Sony was 3rd on the UGA depth chart, behind Gurley and Chubb? ... But still, they can use 4 backs because they ran the ball over 550 times last year.

As for the "3 and done" discussion ... I don't think the way we handled Lamar Miller was bad, at all. He redshirted as a freshman, and we still got great production from him.

IMO, IF Walton is 4th string on this team, that would suggest he may not be a game changer, yet.

As for Gray, we'll agree to disagree. I didn't think Gus or Yearby were anything special last year. And the fact that Gray couldn't play over them would suggest we should have treated him the same way we treated Lamar Miller ... Especially if the issues were the mental adjustment to the college game.

Facts are a bit skewed here. There's no comparison with the backs on the UGA roster when healthy, but Gurley got hurt and Marshall was never healthy. Sony was the 2nd back last year - not 4th team - and got plenty of carries.

Also easy to second-guess the Miami staff for not redshirting Gray, but you don't redshirt quality backs in this day and age. Any RB that is redshirted (san injury) is one you shouldn't have signed. There are no projects at RB. A quality back is likely gone after three years, anyway. And in the case of Gray, who was an academic risk, it'd be crazy to sit him and run the risk of him flunking out before he ever saw the field.

Just based on what I read about the scrimmage I think Walton surpassed Gray as the #3 back and Brown moved into RG, Isidora to RT. Other than that it looks good.

If Brown really moved into a starter out of nowhere imo, that seems to give the OL a little more depth than I initially thought. KC, St. Louis, Sunny, Knighton, Jones etc in the second unit.

If true, I revise my earlier comment. If he's top 3, Walton should play.

Advertisement
A great college program depends on both the 3 year NFL freak and the 5th year senior. There are guys who are still developing in the pros. Red shirting allows a guy to workout harder in the weight room and gives him time to grow up. No confidence is lost when a bad play is made when your just 18. It is sad to see the kids on their own 3 year track who are not the freak athletes. Their good players that could use an extra 2 years to help their NFL career be longer. Think if the first class that was #1 ranked had redshirted and stayed for the 5 years. They all might have had better NFL careers. Instead they are on practice squads where they will get no love from NFL position coaches.

Gray is a kid who needs 5 years and then could go on to have a really good NFL career.

kehoe on rose show said this morning, the starting 5 are: Darling, Gall, Linder, Isadora, Sonny (with KC getting time).. don't know how much they are willing to switch that up before season or if its locked in already.

No excuse for not having KC start at LT unless he's still not 100%. Darling ain't on the same level as KC.

And yet, Kehoe and others believe Darling will start the season at LT. Hopefully, he will play well, and we can move McDermott to RT, or he could give us better depth on the second unit.

Advertisement
Back