Dennis Dodd: NCAA Investigating a Few Schools Over NIL

Advertisement
What a coincidence that our Canes are finally making major moves to be a giant amongst CFB again, and this corrupt ***aloon all of a sudden comes out of his cave with this bullshyt.

I bet you all that he got a call from his buddy, Sabag. Sabag is shaking in his boots, knowing that the gravy train to South Florida is at an end.

Advertisement
Unless I really misunderstand, that's not correct. By choosing to be part of the NCAA, don't teams open themselves up to regulation by the NCAA? My feeling is that the NCAA can do whatever they want to punish a program. Now that could be appealed, possibly to the supreme court, but during the 10 years that will take you, you are going to have to abide by whatever penalty they've thrown at you or you won't be playing any games.
You are correct that the NCAA can punish a program. But because the issue of NIL was decided by the Supreme Court, the Court’s now have jurisdiction to consider lawsuits brought by schools against the NCAA. So even though the NCAA will issue punishment, schools will file for injunctions halting the punishment while the lawsuit proceeds through the courts. As a legal matter the NCAA still has power. As a practical matter the NCAA is neutered on the issue of NIL

Advertisement
Slap on the wrist at most, now that's it's been taken to courts like others have said, this opens up a whole lot of litigation strategies. This could lead to emails and other stuff in investigations being leaked, think Gruden. They are just trying to justify their existence by targeting the usual suspects hoping they'll roll over but things have changed and they need to change with it.

Advertisement
You are correct that the NCAA can punish a program. But because the issue of NIL was decided by the Supreme Court, the Court’s now have jurisdiction to consider lawsuits brought by schools against the NCAA. So even though the NCAA will issue punishment, schools will file for injunctions halting the punishment while the lawsuit proceeds through the courts. As a legal matter the NCAA still has power. As a practical matter the NCAA is neutered on the issue of NIL
Yep it was a mistake letting it go to court. Once the judges get involved and rule against you, it empowers future litigants.

Instead of doing nothing they should have been proactive and come up with a set of rules that schools and players (probably through a newly created union) would abide by and if there were disagreements it would be handled privately through a mediator or arbitration.

Now the courts are like you’ve been hustling these kids who you wouldn’t even allow to make money off their signature…. Toothpaste can’t be put back.

Oh yeah, Get Money was dope. But that song was actually the 2nd version of Get Money, here's the first one:

Yeah nothing has been new in rap for about 30 years.
I'm not complaining but Paid in Full and Just got Paid have been used to death

Yep it was a mistake letting it go to court. Once the judges get involved and rule against you, it empowers future litigants.

Instead of doing nothing they should have been proactive and come up with a set of rules that schools and players (probably through a newly created union) would abide by and if there were disagreements it would be handled privately through a mediator or arbitration.

Now the courts are like you’ve been hustling these kids who you wouldn’t even allow to make money off their signature…. Toothpaste can’t be put back.
This is so accurate it is scary. NCAA will never, ever win in court when the litigant on the other side is a kid arguing that in a capitalist country he should have the right to be paid.
NCAA needed you advising them about 10 years ago (If anyone would have listened).

Advertisement
Bama has had players posing with new cars for years. UGA, Ohio state miraculously hoarding talent year after year, yet somehow the ncaa is now investigating. USC and Miami better play for keeps if that ******* Emmert comes knocking.

How tf can u investigate NIL?
From what I understand, the NIL has been approved and is established through case law i.e. US Supreme Court. The provision with the NIL is that the NIL monies are to come from businesses to the players. The schools can facilitate the connections but the monies cannot come from, or be funneled through, the schools. My guess is that the NCAA may be able to punish schools that are directly providing monies to the players.

Advertisement
Back