DeMario Tolan, 2022 LB offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a mope. Manny and staff haven’t landed a priority LB in 6 recruiting cycles. The evaluation and development have been poor to put it nicely.

There is no evidence to suggest otherwise.
You’ve been a mope. Priority for whom? You’re saying a lot of different things that don’t have much to do with the facts at hand with the recruitment of those 3 players mentioned above. This is also a completely remade defensive staff. I don’t see how using past results of individuals who largely weren’t here to predict future results.

Advertisement
Brooks has been hurt too. Sometimes he has played through it. Others time not. Huff had an academic redshirt his first year I believe and is built like a tall safety. Not ready. Doesn't change what you said about not landing priority targets. Just isn't true. They haven't gotten enough but they aint 0fer either

You started with bad information as we know it today regarding Clemson and threw Baker's previous ineptitude out there like he isn't the guy currently recruiting Tolan for LSU.
Baker can be the most inept recruiter, but LSU won a title 2 seasons ago. They also have handfuls of LBs that have been developed and drafted. Some in the 1st round. Not to mention but they are well versed in the bag game and always snag Florida kids. So for all Blake’s short comings he can sell something we can’t.

I was wrong on Clemson I’ll admit. My friend who works for Clemson told me they were Sky high on Tolans ability.

Back to evaluating and development.

Brooks had a bad injury in HS and that is why many schools stayed away. Poor judgment on our end. Your best ability is availability and that is something Brooks is not. He also happens to have poor LB skills. He is a skinny hs rush end.

Huff. See above minus the injury history, but add in the mental aspect. There were grade concerns in HS. He showed up very late and was an academic redshirt. It’s been stated ad nauseam on this forum that he had trouble getting the playbook down. This is a recruiting AND development issue. The staff gambled and lost. These are the take when you don’t land top end recruits.

If Brooks or Huff pan out I’ll eat crow but the trend is down.

Should I keep going?

Not a mope. Manny and staff haven’t landed a priority LB in 6 recruiting cycles. The evaluation and development have been poor to put it nicely.

There is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Miami's eval and development of Flagg was good. 3 star recruit looked natural at MLB and dropping 20 lbs in the offseason should help with the speed concerns, the rest of the LB recruits unfortunately look like misses although there is still time for Brooks, Huff, and TAC to improve. IMO, Moving Smith to LB is the right move in the long run; but we're going to have to live with the fact that it's not his natural position so he'll probably have some bad games next year.

They went from Banda to Patke...

the funny part is they are Manny disciples and most of the guys like Manny.

Sh*t is weird..
Idk what the reasoning is, but the hate on Patke is ridiculous.

I didnt like when he was hired, and that was reasonable at that time. He had no experience.

But to hate on him now? Unwarranted imo. He could get better in areas, but doesn't deserve the hate he gets.

He coached strikers last year and our AA kicker and punter. Gil was arguably our most improved player. And we signed a top notch licker recruit and striker in Chase Smith.

People will come up with an excuse as to why he succeeded in these spots, but idc about excuses...whether they're good or bad. Bottom line is what matter and Patke's positions have performed well and they've brought in talent.

This is his first year as LB coach, so we shall see. So far so good in my book though.

You’ve been a mope. Priority for whom? You’re saying a lot of different things that don’t have much to do with the facts at hand with the recruitment of those 3 players mentioned above. This is also a completely remade defensive staff. I don’t see how using past results of individuals who largely weren’t here to predict future results.
Past results is a great indicator of the future. How many bad coaches have we gone through back to back? How many solid LBs have we landed on the last 6 years?

I fully understand the defensive staff has been re vamped, but Patke is still here hasn’t landed a soul since CMR promoted him. I think he’s still recruiting that DT from Texas.

Advertisement
Past results is a great indicator of the future. How many bad coaches have we gone through back to back? How many solid LBs have we landed on the last 6 years?

I fully understand the defensive staff has been re vamped, but Patke is still here hasn’t landed a soul since CMR promoted him. I think he’s still recruiting that DT from Texas.

According to 247, Patke was the primary recruiter for Chase Smith, who I think is going to be an outstanding player. That kid had offers from a lot of high profile programs.

Miami's eval and development of Flagg was good. 3 star recruit looked natural at MLB and dropping 20 lbs in the offseason should help with the speed concerns, the rest of the LB recruits unfortunately look like misses although there is still time for Brooks, Huff, and TAC to improve. IMO, Moving Smith to LB is the right move in the long run; but we're going to have to live with the fact that it's not his natural position so he'll probably have some bad games next year.
Flagg remains to be seen but he has promise as does TAC.

Moving Smith was a no brainer and should of happened earlier. Kid played in the box almost entirely in HS.

Moving Smith and Carter are the first moves that correlate to what Jimmy used to do. Move bigger safeties closer to the LOS. Manny has had it backwards for years. You don’t take HS edge rushers and move them to LB… you move over sized LBs to End! Big safeties to LB etc

According to 247, Patke was the primary recruiter for Chase Smith, who I think is going to be an outstanding player. That kid had offers from a lot of high profile programs.
Patke's territory recruiting wise is the treasure coast, fort myers, bradenton, and NY/NJ area. So any prospects we land from those areas he has at least somewhat of an impact.

Advertisement
Flagg remains to be seen but he has promise as does TAC.

Moving Smith was a no brainer and should of happened earlier. Kid played in the box almost entirely in HS.

Moving Smith and Carter are the first moves that correlate to what Jimmy used to do. Move bigger safeties closer to the LOS. Manny has had it backwards for years. You don’t take HS edge rushers and move them to LB… you move over sized LBs to End! Big safeties to LB etc
If football was still being played like the 80s sure. Where all you needed was a speed rush to beat slow footed linemen who would be guards instead of tackles in today's game. Back when an OL had to be in pass sets maybe 25 times a game maybe. Maybe.

Who are all these oversized LBs in south Florida that Miami has access to btw? You think South Florida is just full of 6'2"-6'4" 220lb-235lb guys playing LB who are just ready to be unleashed in college at DE at the Power 5 level? Manny did that with Rousseau so it aint like he's unaware of this magic formula.

Idk what the reasoning is, but the hate on Patke is ridiculous.

I didnt like when he was hired, and that was reasonable at that time. He had no experience.

But to hate on him now? Unwarranted imo. He could get better in areas, but doesn't deserve the hate he gets.

He coached strikers last year and our AA kicker and punter. Gil was arguably our most improved player. And we signed a top notch licker recruit and striker in Chase Smith.

People will come up with an excuse as to why he succeeded in these spots, but idc about excuses...whether they're good or bad. Bottom line is what matter and Patke's positions have performed well and they've brought in talent.

This is his first year as LB coach, so we shall see. So far so good in my book though.
Licker? We got someone to lick butt now?? :haha-smiley:

Advertisement

Yea, seems like you’re lacking comprehension here. Past results for guys that are no longer here aren’t a valid indicator of the future for the new staff. To that end, we should base our future QB and WR evals and recruiting on Richt, Enos, Stubblefield and Dugans right? Literally makes zero sense and you know it.

Patke was the primary on JHH, Cave and Chase Smith just out of recent memory. But don’t let facts get in the way of your shtick.

He also recruited

Huff (offers from Bama, UF, Penn State, Texas)
JHH
Sam Brooks
Borreagles
Hedley (the latter two may be the best in the country at their respective positions)

When you add Smith to that list, he seems to be a competent recruiter.
Hedley was Todd Hartley
Borreagles Groza or lil bro?
JHH was Simpson

Advertisement
Hedley was Todd Hartley
Borreagles Groza or lil bro?
JHH was Simpson

Hedley wanted to come to Miami one way or another so Rumph probably could have landed him.
I think Patke was involved with both Borreagles (but who knows how it works with transfers)
247 says Patke went up to NY to recruit JHH, so I guess its up to you whether you believe it or not. Regardless, Patke was one of his recruiters.

As @Cribby pointed out, Curtis was also a Patke recruit. Look, I'm not saying he belongs in the pantheon of all time great recruiters. He seems to be an average recruiter. Could we do better? Absolutely. Diaz was obviously aware of that which is why he tried to hire T-Will. Would I be confident if he was locked in a recruiting battle with a top tier recruiter? No. Fortunately he appears to be going head to head with Blake Baker, who I think IS a poor recruiter.

I don't think Patke is nearly as bad as you are making him out to be.

He also recruited

Huff (offers from Bama, UF, Penn State, Texas)
JHH
Sam Brooks
Borreagles
Hedley (the latter two may be the best in the country at their respective positions)

When you add Smith to that list, he seems to be a competent recruiter.
interesting, didn't know he had this bodies on his list ... jhh is a dude, borreagles was a dude, hedley is a dude ... sam brooks still has potential, i can't call it on huff ... add chase smith, you better put respect on his name

Hedley wanted to come to Miami one way or another so Rumph probably could have landed him.
I think Patke was involved with both Borreagles (but who knows how it works with transfers)
247 says Patke went up to NY to recruit JHH, so I guess its up to you whether you believe it or not. Regardless, Patke was one of his recruiters.

As @Cribby pointed out, Curtis was also a Patke recruit. Look, I'm not saying he belongs in the pantheon of all time great recruiters. He seems to be an average recruiter. Could we do better? Absolutely. Diaz was obviously aware of that which is why he tried to hire T-Will. Would I be confident if he was locked in a recruiting battle with a top tier recruiter? No. Fortunately he appears to be going head to head with Blake Baker, who I think IS a poor recruiter.

I don't think Patke is nearly as bad as you are making him out to be.

Hedley was a great find by Hartley, kid was out playing juco in California and Hartley flew out to see him. He didn’t exactly fall in our lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back