Define "Miami is Back"

Advertisement
Hold your hands up high! Miami Canes are passing by! From North to South! We ready to knock em out!
Hit stick and bust d!ck! Them Canes talk ****!

Shrug, just win games and the back will take care of itself. I have said for longer than a decade that I don't ever see it being like it was, but maybe a chance every 6 to 8 years to win it all. In that time, two or three conference championships at best as well. A perennial 9 or 10 win average puts is back in today's game IMO.

Hold your hands up high! Miami Canes are passing by! From North to South! We ready to knock em out!
Hit stick and bust d!ck! Them Canes talk ****!

I’m pretty sure what was done in this video is now a crime in 23 states and the District of Columbia (God, I miss the good’ol days)

National Title
Blowing the brakes off our rivals in their stadium
Knocking our rivals into the shadowrealm with memorable plays and dancing on their grave.

THEN

and only THEN

are.we.BACK.

Enough until then. You jabrones know what the standard is. Stop moving the goalposts.
National Title for sure.

I thought we were back after the 2017 season. The season ended on a disappointing note, but we returned majority of our starters and several key players for the 2018 season. We had also signed at that time a tremendous recruiting class. Thought 2018 was going to be special for us. I had no doubt we were going to roll LSU in the opening game and eventually make the playoffs, possibly going all the way to the championship.

LSU was a good team, but not great. They whipped us pretty bad. The final score didn't reflect how bad they actually beat us. That game told me all I needed to know for that season. I won't be fooled again. Until we are in the national title game, we are not back.

Advertisement
I keep seeing the media saying "Miami is Back". There seem to be a lot of different idea's of what "Back" means.

To me I believe Traditionally "Back" meant in the national title conversation. To be in that convo we needed to finish with 1 loss or less and top 4 sometimes top 5-6. We played for 10 National Titles from 1983-2002 winning 6* :).

I believe with the new Playoff setup you could technically be back if you finish in the top 12 but I expect it would be somewhat rare for a 12th ranked team to win the playoff and win it all. Back to me would mean finishing in the top 6 of the 12-team playoff and at least Split the rivalry games if not win both this year.

I realize some people define back as winning it all but realistically we have only been back like 6 times lol. I think being in the hunt is really what we aim for and understand some years we will win it all and some years we won't, basically like our status from 1983-2002.

To paraphrase what an esteemed Justice of the Superior Court once said about ghey midget pawn, you don't have to define it, but you'll know it when you see it.

3o7WTqo27pLRYxRtg4.gif

Advertisement
Before we can even start talking about championships, we have to get back to the point when we’re the fastest team in America.

The obvious answer is conference champ and playoff contender. Doesn’t necessarily have to be a championship, Oregon hasn’t sniffed a title yet no one would say they are a pretender.

I think a lot of people would say Miami is back if we are getting at least 4-5 players drafted in the first round consistently. Miami was NFL U. A lot of college football fans can’t tell you how many championships UM has won, but they will reel off the names of the draft picks. Was just on an international trip with a co-worker who said he was at the stadium in Washington when UW beat UM (2000?). The thing he remembered was how stacked the UM team was. No one would care or remember an upset of an undefeated Virginia Tech or Wisconsin team 20 years later. People remember UM because the roster was loaded with first rounders and it was like beating a NFL team.

Only when Inday says “we byke” are “we byke”

I will not believe until then, period.

Advertisement
Sadly we will never be back to the time Canes that dominated Football but we can and I believe we will be back to constantly being a top 20 team and not getting beat by teams who we should dominate. At 76 years old and waiting for the last 20 years I never thought I would see this day again after so many terrible years. With the NIL and the Transfer Portal College football is not the same anymore I just hope Miami can keep affording this pay for play and highest bidding buys a Portal Superstar modern area. GO CANES

Nowhere near being back. Comical to even talk about it. Let’s start with winning double digit games in the regular season.

I keep seeing the media saying "Miami is Back". There seem to be a lot of different idea's of what "Back" means.

To me I believe Traditionally "Back" meant in the national title conversation. To be in that convo we needed to finish with 1 loss or less and top 4 sometimes top 5-6. We played for 10 National Titles from 1983-2002 winning 6* :).

I believe with the new Playoff setup you could technically be back if you finish in the top 12 but I expect it would be somewhat rare for a 12th ranked team to win the playoff and win it all. Back to me would mean finishing in the top 6 of the 12-team playoff and at least Split the rivalry games if not win both this year.

I realize some people define back as winning it all but realistically we have only been back like 6 times lol. I think being in the hunt is really what we aim for and understand some years we will win it all and some years we won't, basically like our status from 1983-2002.

The media plays up Miami being "back" every year there's reason for a modicum of hype.

The "back" talk is never internal. By Mario's standard... Jimmy Johnson... any old schooler who did it back in the day—"back" is defined by winning a national championship and being in the hunt every year.

By realistic terms, "back" for Miami should mean being a true competitor again—in the ACC hunt every year, double-digit wins, reaching the playoffs, putting more kids into the NFL (and definitely more first-day kids).

Consistency is the key to "back"—not this annual 7-6 nonsense with an occasional 10-3 or 9-4 year. 10-3 needs to be the floor to "back" not the ceiling.

The media will hype "back" this year because of Cam Ward, year three for Cristobal and some recruiting classes and portal moves—but the real fan knows this team's two-deep isn't where it needs to be and that the Canes are an injury or two away from disaster (depending on said player.)

It's good business for ESPN and others to play the "Miami is back" card as they know there is so much anti-Canes vitriol across the nation; so it will fire up the haters to mouth off, repost these stories, to make fun of 'The U' and to get all these sports sites the clicks, shares and engagement they demand.

Miami is polarizing and while the fan base alumni-wise doesn't compare to powerhouse programs, fact remains 'The U' is a national brand that is loved by some and hated by most. The sports world isn't really indifferent on the Canes; it's a love-hate relationship.... whereas nationwide alum may love their Wolverines, Buckeyes or Longhorns.... those with no ties to those programs couldn't care less about them.

People have an opinion on the Miami Hurricanes one way or another, so prepare for another pre-season of "Are the Canes BACK?" type questions from the media, lashing out from rivals and then all the "pretender" and "they aren't back" comments the minute UM loses a game.

Saw it two years ago when ESPN dropped their "Miami football has been waiting two decades for a quarterback like Tyler Van Dyke" hype piece, only to see the kid wilt under the pressure—2-3 after five games, including an embarrassing home loss to Middle Tennessee State.

Advertisement

Being relevant, consistently winning, and being in the playoffs conversation every year. Oh and everyone hates us.

When you smack a top 10 team in the mouth with no remorse.

Then at presser you NEVER EVER mention your food you enjoyed.

“ We executed game plan pretty well in all phases of our game, we would have loved to have scored more but time ran out .
We’re looking forward to our next opponent very much a performing well.”

this is when your back and FOCUSED.

Never give you food RESPECT there not like us there just FOOD.

This is how we played in the time of RINGS.

We just didn’t give a HOOT

Advertisement
Back