Defensive Tackle Options

Look for big Tony Chickillo to stuff his face the entire offseason and morph into a guy they slide inside regularly. The more that our slew of young DEs develop the more you'll see Big Tony inside.

Advertisement
I see JUCOs like fruit you take the ones you like and leave the ones you dont. its nothing like having a refrigerator full of bad old fruit

I just had daughter a this week so I have to take care of priorities first, then Canes Family. I can't make the game intown here either unfortunately, but ya'll better believe she is decked out in canes gear already.

Go Canes

Congrats man. Thank you for the feedback.

Look for big Tony Chickillo to stuff his face the entire offseason and morph into a guy they slide inside regularly. The more that our slew of young DEs develop the more you'll see Big Tony inside.

No, I think Tony stays outside when we're in a 3-4. As I've said elsewhere, my understanding of the 3-4, which might be faulty, is that the ends are essentially DTs, but not NTs. I can't speak in terms of 3 technique, 1 technique, etc., but this is what Joe Gibbs said, many years ago, and I believe it is still valid today. With a dearth of DTs, I would rather see us emphasize a 4-3, it seems simpler and more basic for the players, there's less emphasis on reading, I believe, and you only need two true tackles. Kamalu is also an end in a 3-4, not a nose tackle. If we played a 4-3, he would play inside, I believe, and maybe Chick would. too. This has gotten very complicated because the team varies between a 3-4 and 4-3 right now. I think Al and D'Onofrio are basically 3-4 ideologues, and I wonder if that is making things much more complicated in terms of personnel and recruiting. I don't know though. They are the experts, not me. I also know there is more than one way to skin a cat (to use an old expression). You can be successful using any system as long as you can execute it.

Incidentally, you might remember, when Tony senior was here, in the early '80's, he was a nose guard in our old 5-2 under Schnelly and Olivadotti. Weighed about 250 and was pretty decent. He had some very good tackles surrounding him, Lester Williams and Fuzzy Nelson. That '81 team was fierce, perhaps the best team in the country.

I see JUCOs like fruit you take the ones you like and leave the ones you dont. its nothing like having a refrigerator full of bad old fruit

I remember when JJ recruited a bunch of JUCOs in the late '80's. Less than 50% saw the field much other than special teams. It's like recruiting out of HS, you can't predict with certainty who is going to emerge as a player and who isn't. I remember a lot of kids who really couldn't contribute much who were pretty good recruits coming out of HS. You never know if you're going to get a Tez, Scott Provin, Rich Newbill, or instead, some of the other guys who never played. It's a crapshoot. All of recruiting is.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back