Defensive Rankings after Non P5 Opponents

WilforkHOF

Band
Banned
57th in Scoring Defense
73rd in Total Defense

For comparison, Alabama and Clemson, the two best teams in FBS and the likely opponents in the champ game again, are top ten in both categories, after playing multiple P5 opponents.

For more comparison, the year Gorlden was fired for being so miserable defensively that we couldn't stomach it, we were:

77th in scoring defense
69th in total defense

And for a final comparison, Diaz in year two at Texas:

72nd in scoring defense
68th in total defense

If you were crying about No D and his atrocious scheme, dropping DEs into coverage and soft zone, then you are a complete hypocrite if you aren't doing the exact same thing for Mannito.

Advertisement
LoL downvoted for showing the stats. It's so sad that we have hypocrites that love coaches more than results.

I hear ya mane. We have not looked good. I think most objective Canes fans can see that.

That being said, let the year play out. There is such a thing as improving from week to week. We did it towards the end of the year last year.

I hear ya mane. We have not looked good. I think most objective Canes fans can see that.

That being said, let the year play out. There is such a thing as improving from week to week. We did it towards the end of the year last year.

But this is year 2. It's the year where you really see what kind of staff we have. If the best we can hope for is improving on defensive stats that are downright miserable, then we aren't where we should be. Same **** different staff.

Advertisement
I liked and agree with your stats; they’re kind of self evident, no? but I had to down vote you for carping about being down voted.

But this is year 2. It's the year where you really see what kind of staff we have. If the best we can hope for is improving on defensive stats that are downright miserable, then we aren't where we should be. Same **** different staff.

If the D looks like this all year, and we finish with another lackluster season of not winning the ****** coastal, then I will be right there with you.

I just don't think 2 games into the season is the time to break out the pitchforks. Especially given the circumstances with the storm and what not.

I do not disagree with you but I'm willing to let it play out.

Anyone who says they aren't concerned is lying to themselves. It's early though and we've had weird circumstances to start the season.

I'm very concerned with some of the schematic things we're seeing such as refusal to go nickel and cover the slot. Tackling I'm going to assume is due to rust because it was excellent last year and poor so far this season.

Advertisement
I was screaming at the TV yesterday as you all likely were. It'd be 3rd and 4, we'd leave the slot completely uncovered and they'd run a little 5 yard hitch or out and get us every single time. Any competent OC would do that. It was ******* infuriating and I'm incredibly concerned.

Let's see how the season goes. If the D continues this trend, manny changes nothing, and If we lose the coastal again, it'll be time to fly the banners. Zero excuses for not winning 10 games and the coastal. If we don't do that, Mark Richt isn't the guy.

Defense doesn't look good. Dline isn't dominating as expected. Toledo runs the ball 58% of the time and then runs RPO. I figured we weren't confident in stopping the run with 6 in the box so we stayed in base defense. And conceded some easy throws. When we didn't concede those throws Dee Delaney was letting his man get open.

Manny has some adjustments to do.

Concern level is: Tropical Storm

57th in Scoring Defense
73rd in Total Defense

For comparison, Alabama and Clemson, the two best teams in FBS and the likely opponents in the champ game again, are top ten in both categories, after playing multiple P5 opponents.

For more comparison, the year Gorlden was fired for being so miserable defensively that we couldn't stomach it, we were:

77th in scoring defense
69th in total defense

And for a final comparison, Diaz in year two at Texas:

72nd in scoring defense
68th in total defense

If you were crying about No D and his atrocious scheme, dropping DEs into coverage and soft zone, then you are a complete hypocrite if you aren't doing the exact same thing for Mannito.

The situations are certainly comparable and yes if you aren't concerned you're lying to yourself or just not paying attention. These recent defensive performances have me on notice the same way Golden and his garbage crew did vs Maryland back in 2011. Golden had the suspension excuse but even after those guys came back you still saw the same BS. The long lay off is an issue but if you continue to see the same things then there's a real problem.

I don't think Diaz trust his defensive secondary personal, know them and what they can do or he could just be a dam fool. Looking forward to FSU...they are going to try to get Amir rusul matched up on one of our S or LB and Miami better be ready for it. FSU will not allow Miami to line up the way they have the last couple games pre snap and get away with it.

Im so confused. How the **** do we regress so much in an off season? Why do we not want to jam recivers? Why do we insist on having our DE's covering WR's? Why is our d line not getting their hands up taking away the quick pass?

Advertisement
Im so confused. How the **** do we regress so much in an off season? Why do we not want to jam recivers? Why do we insist on having our DE's covering WR's? Why is our d line not getting their hands up taking away the quick pass?

Bc Manny cares more about his chalkboard genius than fundamental football. He just can't help himself.

Advertisement

Definitely first two games of this year is not what we expected. But last year - Diaz and the defense did very well. Do you disregard all of last year because of the first two games of this year? What about the defense's performance in the bowl game against one of the better offenses in the league (west va)?

It wouldn't make sense to call for Diaz's firing after two games, especially considering what he did last year. Is there reason for concern - Yep.

But comparing rankings of two games against Golden's complete seasons and Diaz's complete season at Texas isn't comparing apples to apples. If you compared ALL of Diaz's rankings at Miami with Golden's complete seasons and Diaz's seasons at Texas - then it would have more credibility.

Down voting for pure unadulterated idioticy.

Last edited:

Definitely first two games of this year is not what we expected. But last year - Diaz and the defense did very well. Do you disregard all of last year because of the first two games of this year? What about the defense's performance in the bowl game against one of the better offenses in the league (west va)?

It wouldn't make sense to call for Diaz's firing after two games, especially considering what he did last year. Is there reason for concern - Yep.

But comparing rankings of two games against Golden's complete seasons and Diaz's complete season at Texas isn't comparing apples to apples. If you compared ALL of Diaz's rankings at Miami with Golden's complete seasons and Diaz's seasons at Texas - then it would have more credibility.

Down voting for pure unadulterated idioticy.

Bc this is exactly what happened at Texas.

WilforkHOF = Fullyericht

Yep.....the same FullyEricht schlub who wanted to start a "Fire Diaz" thread on the day he
was hired (seriously).
He also whined like a cnt about not hiring Aranda, who is also a very DC, but funny how he doesn't
mention him these days.
I wonder why?
He/she is probably not a Cane.

Advertisement
Back