Defensive question

screen003

Recruit
Can somebody tell me why we don't run nickel or dime defense when theirs 3 to 5 wideouts on the field. We stay in base and let of linebackers cover slots. In the spring McGee played in the nickel a lot but not sure what's going on now. It puts the whole defense in a speed mismatch

Advertisement
Your guess is as good as mine dude. And the worst part is that you don't see D'Oh call the play in until halfway thru the playclock. Mindboggling.

Advertisement
I started questioning Oh'Nofrio last year when Gaines was covering Maryland's (I think Maryland) 5'9 165 lb slot WR.

Of course we got gashed on the play and you could tell the QB was licking his chops to go that way.

Kansas st gashed cornelius covering the slot with their fastest reciever. He had no chance against a guy that fast and shifty

I think the answer is likely because we don't get the down and distance in our favor. The second likely answer is that we don't match up favorably in nic against the run.

I started questioning Oh'Nofrio last year when Gaines was covering Maryland's (I think Maryland) 5'9 165 lb slot WR.

Of course we got gashed on the play and you could tell the QB was licking his chops to go that way.

You are probably talking about Virginia (Maryland was the 1st game) and he was covering Perry Jones, a RB who is about 5'10 200lbs.

Advertisement
I think the answer is likely because we don't get the down and distance in our favor. The second likely answer is that we don't match up favorably in nic against the run.

but if teams are lining up their slots extra wide (which BC and K State have done) then that takes the OLB out of the equation when it comes to run support. So you end up left with a LB in a mismatch that teams can exploit whenever they want. It's a money play that BC took advantage of plenty - and still probably not enough. K State didn't take advantage of it as much as they could but that was simply cause everything else was working for them.

put a CB in there and other teams probably have the slot WR actually closer to the OL which would allow that nickelback more of a chance to be a factor in run support than that LB who's way out past the hashmarks. I'd like my chances with Gunter or Finnie coming up hard to help against the run. Could even use CB blitz from the slot instead of trying to bring the boundary CB to blitz and having no one out there to cover his man if the QB recognizes it pre-snap.

that was actually their RB, but still putting Gaines on a scatback with no help in coverage is just giving the other team a mismatch to have fun with.

Advertisement
Back