Defensive minded coaches going uptempo spread

All ACC
Premium
Can anyone name another defensive minded ex coordinator head coach that went to the uptempo spread?

Teams that run these types of offenses notoriously have poor defenses, but the head coach is usually an offensive guy; not someone with perennial top 15 defenses.

I can't think of any teams that have dominated on both sides fo the ball with with this offense; perhaps the make up of the staff lets us catch lightning in a bottle.

Advertisement
Can anyone name another defensive minded ex coordinator head coach that went to the uptempo spread?

Teams that run these types of offenses notoriously have poor defenses, but the head coach is usually an offensive guy; not someone with perennial top 15 defenses.

I can't think of any teams that have dominated on both sides fo the ball with with this offense; perhaps the make up of the staff lets us catch lightning in a bottle.

Well, Bob Stoops hired Mike Leach as his first OC at OU.
But you raise a good point.

This is the problem that many talk about due to the number of teams that runs spread and put up points but also allow a bunch of points. Just look at FSU for instance. They looked like the hit a home run the first half of the game against Boise and then the defense was too tired.
Maybe this is the reason for us wanting so many safeties instead of corners? As well as wanting faster smaller linebackers? Also the reason manny wants to substitute a lot. If you look at Uga’s defense this is exactly what they do. A lot of safeties and a lot of substitution.
I still recall in 2017 I think when we played Syracuse and Toledo back to back. The defense played about 200 snaps in those 2 weeks. We didn’t have enough bodies to sub all the time and when we did it was a talent drop off.
Idk. But that’s one of the things hat has always made alot of people cautious about the spread.

Advertisement
This is a great point and something that has crossed my mind, even before we hired Rhett. Most teams utilize spread to compensate for a lack of defense but most are offensive coaches. I've long thought the spread was the offense we needed with our athletes and speed, especially with a very good defense.
I've learned with the Canes to wait until they play and of course, our staff's ability to develop is the key. I'm surprised they haven't changed the entire staff to spread coaches, I hope this doesn't ruin our chances with FINALLY having a modern offense.

Advertisement

this is one that I can think of. This is what Manny was afraid of but you adapt or die. That’s just where college football is now. Saban is the other who is defensive and finally decided to open it up a few years ago and it made a huge difference

Complementary football is the goal. I don’t expect both sides to be top 20. Offense scoring on turnovers or short field, punting the ball within the 20 yard line, and stout defense in the red zone is the key.

Advertisement
So the offense can plays 80/90 snaps a game.....and you like the uptempo/spread (hopefully putting up more points than the last few years) but your excuse for the defense is they get tired out having to play the same amount of snaps?

Advertisement
With the way things are changing we will never see teams dominate on both sides of the football ever again.
They call way too many ticky - tack personal fouls and targeting.

Might as well adjust and go high tempo and take advantage of the stupid rules on offense.

Our defense is more opportunistic than shut down. Our best defensive performances are when the offense gives them more margin for error and thus they can take more risks. A 40 yard completion isn’t a back breaker for a team with an offense that can respond. That same pass last year makes you feel like the game is over

Can’t be any faster than Enos’ drive killing plays and quick 3 and Outs. If anything, scoring should ignite our defense.
See this is what I am thinking. We will have the potential to score as well putting opponents behind the 8 ball and forcing teams into playing catch up. Doesn’t that play into Manny’s defensive philosophy?

Advertisement
Back