Defensive Line

I think we have a pretty strong 2 deep. Don't have those 1 or 2 freaky NFL type guys that elite lines have, but we have 8 or so really solid rotational guys, especially in ACC play.

It's a pretty amazing turnaround but other than the obvious maturation and guys getting older and bigger, the guys we brought in are all instant contributors that are ready physically. Thats part of what I like about our 2013 class. We didn't really bring in a ton of numbers, with all the turnover we've been having plus preparing for the worst with the NCAA, but the guys we brought in are all going to be players here. Other than RLIII and maybe a guy or two on the O-Line, I don't see one guy in that class who I dont expect to be a starter here.

Advertisement
Luther Robinson impressed me vs FAU, I was not expecting that. Several hustle plays, too, for him.

Ive had high hopes for Porter and Robinson since they were Frosh. I thought they both showed some flashes early on before all the injuries and off the field cr@p[ really stalled their development. Hopefully this is the year both of them really explode. They both have tremendous potential.

Luther Robinson impressed me vs FAU, I was not expecting that. Several hustle plays, too, for him.

Ive had high hopes for Porter and Robinson since they were Frosh. I thought they both showed some flashes early on before all the injuries and off the field cr@p[ really stalled their development. Hopefully this is the year both of them really explode. They both have tremendous potential.

His dad keeps calling the Joe Rose Show under fake names. Rose has caught on because he is always talking up Luther.

Last edited:
Luther actually played really well in spots last year. I recall him running a RB down on a sweep coming from the back side. I remember thinking, I hadn't seen that in like a decade. He also got up field much more than he had in previous seasons, but I think he was supposed to play two gaps rather than penetrate. Anyway, we really need him to make a big impact going forward. Just put his pops on mute.

Advertisement
Duval 904..Renfrow is better then any backup DT we have had in the last 4-5 years from the one game I saw. We dont need him to be Jimmie Jones. Just dont get slaughtered to the point that Porter gets ZERO rest. It is going to be hot and the emotions are gonna be to the point where guys will get winded quickly. Gilbert will provide QUALITY depth too. Not just depth. Rolling DHoilett out there would be a disaster. He is not ready yet. Same with Earl Moore.

The dline looked better in that one game. Now lets see what we are really made of this Sat.

Last thing, look at that 2 deep. 5 seniors. A couple youngsters will grow up and step in next year, but Golden is going to have to hit the waiver wire again. Get a couple jucos and a transfer or two and we'll be good. I hope he can work his magic again.

This is a good point.

I was talking with someone about this the other day. We already have a JUCO NT coming in (Dalvin Stuckey). I think we need another JUCO and at least one more "free agent". Hopefully Derosier actually gets in. That's been a really weird situation because Golden NAMED him as a guy who was coming in, then...nothing. So hopefully he'll be here in 2014. We need as many experienced bodies as possible.

I feel better about the infusion of speed rushers coming in. We just need a little more muscle inside. We should be in pretty good shape at weak-side DT with Pierre (hopefully he doesn't leave early), Hamilton, Kamalu (he can play inside and out), and perhaps Earl Moore (hopefully he shirts this year). We also have Corey King who will be a a 4th-year player.

Advertisement
More 21-23 year old grown men on the line like Gilbert, Porter, Robinson, Renfrow. Less 18-19 year old freshman and sophs like Moore and Hamilton they need RS and need to develop..

I read somewhere the other day that the Chickillo saw the fewest amount of snaps in the FAU game since he arrived in 2011.

Well chick was tied for 2nd in most tackles with a sack...

this link has GREAT INFO...

http://hurricanesports.com/fls/28700/football/2013/08-30-13UM-FAU.pdf

this is every player that played on defense

Miami: 1A-Artie Burns, 1B-Ryan Williams, 3A-Stacy Coley, 5-Jermaine Grace, 5A-Standish Dobard,
6A-Garrison Lassiter, 6-Herb Waters, 7A-Tyriq McCord, 7-Gus Edwards, 9-Malcolm Lewis, 11-David Gilbert,
12-Jamal Carter, 15-D'Mauri Jones, 16-Pat O'Donnell, 18-Matt Goudis, 21-Antonio Crawford, 23-Eduardo Clements,
24-Brandon Yosha, 25-Dallas Crawford, 28-Nantambu Fentress, 29-Corn Elder, 30-AJ Highsmith,
31-Tyrone Cornileus, 35-Nate Dortch, 36-Alex Figueroa, 56-Raphael Kirby, 57-Sean McNally, 61-Paul Kelly,
64-Hunter Wells, 72-Earl Moore, 73-Sean Harvey, 75-Jared Wheeler, 76-Taylor Gadbois, 77-Seantrel Henderson,
78-Justin Renfrow, 80-Rashawn Scott, 82-Asante Cleveland, 85-Beau Sandland, 90-Ufomba Kamalu,
93-Luther Robinson, 94-Kelvin Cain, 98-Al-Quadin Muhammad, 99-Jelani Hamilton.

What did Garrison Lassiter do?

Advertisement
Last thing, look at that 2 deep. 5 seniors. A couple youngsters will grow up and step in next year, but Golden is going to have to hit the waiver wire again. Get a couple jucos and a transfer or two and we'll be good. I hope he can work his magic again.

This is a good point.

I was talking with someone about this the other day. We already have a JUCO NT coming in (Dalvin Stuckey). I think we need another JUCO and at least one more "free agent". Hopefully Derosier actually gets in. That's been a really weird situation because Golden NAMED him as a guy who was coming in, then...nothing. So hopefully he'll be here in 2014. We need as many experienced bodies as possible.

I feel better about the infusion of speed rushers coming in. We just need a little more muscle inside. We should be in pretty good shape at weak-side DT with Pierre (hopefully he doesn't leave early), Hamilton, Kamalu (he can play inside and out), and perhaps Earl Moore (hopefully he shirts this year). We also have Corey King who will be a a 4th-year player.

Mufasa, Stuckey and we are in the mix for a couple of JUCOs. Freshman DTs shouldn't be counted on but we will be getting a man child in Valentine.

Its definitely a red flag area but Golden understands it better than anyone.

I read somewhere the other day that the Chickillo saw the fewest amount of snaps in the FAU game since he arrived in 2011.

Chickillo has a limited amount of pass rushing moves. As a coach myself, you can go over a variety of techinques every single day in practice, but some kids will just do their own thing when the lights come on... The best way to counter that is to 1) punish him in practice; 2) limit his playing time. Maybe #2 is going on right now with Chik.

From what I've seen, he's trying to use the Tug n Pull move in nearly every pass rushing situation, while his feet are cemented into ground. The best pass rushers are the guys, taht know how to use their hands as well as their feet at the same time.

He isn't too bad againt the run, but overall, if you aren't playing favorites, he isn't the best on the team at setting the edge against the run either, maily because he doesn't know how to set a good base. Keep your feet less than shoulder width apart, and you'll go down easy vs a any 300lb OL'man.

Last edited:
Renfro is a nice guy, who will basically give us what the guy from Vegas did. more excited about Gilbert and Kamala.

Advertisement
They will beat the **** out Driskell. No D scheme as one obvious positive that I seen since he has been here and its containing running QBs. We used to get gashed religiously under Shannon despite the sacks.

Advertisement
Back