Defensive Line

rok

N-U-D-E-S-I-N-B-I-O
Call me crazy, but I think this unit will end up being the best one on this team when the season is over.

The transformation from November 2012 to now has been outrageous.

Advertisement
It's one game, but I saw more going on than I have in years. Big boys were strong and active, and the added depth made a big difference for a few of those guys later in the game.

I don't think this will be the best week to test their skills either. UF has a mash unit out there and their offense is nothing to celebrate. It wouldn't surprise me if we were in the backfield causing havoc again this week.

The DL will end up being solid. I think a few things happened

- Having a healthy Curtis Porter and Luther Robinson actually next to each other somewhere other than the trainer's table

- Olsen Pierre is blossoming into a solid player

- Gilbert, Kamalu, Renfrow injected some able bodies into the rotation

- McCord added weight and AQM arrived which will provide 3rd down pass rushers

- They've figured out how to use Chickilo

Advertisement
I read somewhere the other day that the Chickillo saw the fewest amount of snaps in the FAU game since he arrived in 2011.

I read somewhere the other day that the Chickillo saw the fewest amount of snaps in the FAU game since he arrived in 2011.

Makes sense since we actually have depth that is more experienced, matured and talented.

I saw 78 and 11 (Renfrow and Gilbert) around the ball constantly. We are gonna need every bit of them this week, and going forward. I am actually a fan of "Lack of Chick". Great player and motivator, but dude needs to be part of a platoon and keep fresh.

I saw 78 and 11 (Renfrow and Gilbert) around the ball constantly. We are gonna need every bit of them this week, and going forward. I am actually a fan of "Lack of Chick". Great player and motivator, but dude needs to be part of a platoon and keep fresh.

I have to imagine both will play more this week in the hotter and more humid weather. Also, both are more adjusted after arriving later then the start of camp.

Advertisement
Was anyone else surprised that Hamilton didn't get much burn at all?

I'm not gonna lie, I'm really excited about the dline. They're not going to be all world, but the dline was so abysmal this year that this unit just being "decent" or "pretty good" is going to be a monster jump.

First look at the 2 deep:

DE Chickillo JR, Kamalu JR
DE Green SR, Gilbert SR
DT Porter SR, Renfrow SR
DT Pierre JR, Robinson SR

All seniors and juniors. Guys that have experience. Guys that are 21, 22 years old.

Second, Utough is clearly starting to pay off. We got blasted off the ball last year up front. The muscle gain on these guys since last year is unreal. Just look at Robinson. He's in the best shape since he got here. Porter is huge now and passed the conditioning test for the first time. Chickillo and Pierre are bigger, all these guys are.

Lastly, we've lacked size, but we've also lacked explosion. We've addressed that with Muhammed and McCord as specialty third down rushers. Gilbert and Kamalu look to have some explosion as well. Certainly more than some of our others guys like Green and probably Chick.

A couple things are going to happen this year: 1. our dline won't get worn down because of lack of depth. 2. our defense is going to get off the field, which will keep our guys even fresher. Last year it was a vicious negative feedback loop. Teams would run it down our throat, the d couldn't get off the field and they became tired. Next drive they are gassed and have even less of a shot of stopping the opposing team....now they get more tired. So on and so forth.

Last thing, look at that 2 deep. 5 seniors. A couple youngsters will grow up and step in next year, but Golden is going to have to hit the waiver wire again. Get a couple jucos and a transfer or two and we'll be good. I hope he can work his magic again.

In the last 4 games (going into last year), our D has not given up more than 140 rushing yards in a single game.

I smell improvement!!!

Now we just need to get to the QB more often.

Advertisement

Well chick was tied for 2nd in most tackles with a sack...

this link has GREAT INFO...

http://hurricanesports.com/fls/28700/football/2013/08-30-13UM-FAU.pdf

this is every player that played on defense

Miami: 1A-Artie Burns, 1B-Ryan Williams, 3A-Stacy Coley, 5-Jermaine Grace, 5A-Standish Dobard,
6A-Garrison Lassiter, 6-Herb Waters, 7A-Tyriq McCord, 7-Gus Edwards, 9-Malcolm Lewis, 11-David Gilbert,
12-Jamal Carter, 15-D'Mauri Jones, 16-Pat O'Donnell, 18-Matt Goudis, 21-Antonio Crawford, 23-Eduardo Clements,
24-Brandon Yosha, 25-Dallas Crawford, 28-Nantambu Fentress, 29-Corn Elder, 30-AJ Highsmith,
31-Tyrone Cornileus, 35-Nate Dortch, 36-Alex Figueroa, 56-Raphael Kirby, 57-Sean McNally, 61-Paul Kelly,
64-Hunter Wells, 72-Earl Moore, 73-Sean Harvey, 75-Jared Wheeler, 76-Taylor Gadbois, 77-Seantrel Henderson,
78-Justin Renfrow, 80-Rashawn Scott, 82-Asante Cleveland, 85-Beau Sandland, 90-Ufomba Kamalu,
93-Luther Robinson, 94-Kelvin Cain, 98-Al-Quadin Muhammad, 99-Jelani Hamilton.

Advertisement
Luther Robinson impressed me vs FAU, I was not expecting that. Several hustle plays, too, for him.

Advertisement
Back