Defensive Line

Advertisement
Last year we had Chad Thomas, Joe Jackson, Jon Garvin and Trent Harris w (DJax for the first half of the season)

This year it’s Joe Jackson, Jon Garvin, D Jackson, Greg Rousseau and Scott Patchan.

Which unit do you think is better?

Chad was good against the run, but always seemed a step slow on pass rush and would get close, but miss a lot of sacks.

Trent Harris had a non stop motor and made a lot of plays, but physically wasn’t that gifted.

I really feel that the progression of Jackson and Garvin will show up this year. Patchan is similar to Harris with his effort/motor. Rousseau could be a game changer with his length and athleticism. DJax will provide depth at SDE and be able to kick inside on obvious passing downs.

I think this unit will outplay last years and I can’t wait to watch it get unleashed tonight against LSU.
Why does everyone say Trent wasn’t physically gifted? His first step was as good as we’ve had since Oliver Vernon. Somehow that narrative got legs and people ran with it.

I don't see the need to replace Willis with anyone. Willis with DJax is a deadly pass rush DT combo.
I heard some NFL analyst on the radio the other day saying DEs are becoming less important (and paid less), and pass rushing DTs more important (and paid more) bc QBs get the ball out so fast that the ends are neutralized. Willis has a chance to earn some money this year.

The only reason why I can see Willis being pulled early on is because he missed a whole season. He may not have the stamina to play many downs every series.
Let's see if he has the stamina.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Last year's unit was steady and solid.

This year's unit has a higher ceiling with a chance to be special

Pap Shaq told us Shaq thinks this line could be better than last years. More hungry

how much does kuligowski leaving hurt us? was he responsible for any in-game calls?

best DL coach in the game but he already taught all of our guys technique before he left, it's not like they suddenly lose that right?

im interested to see the jump garvin makes. him and jj are very intimidating together.
I think Toolbox will be missed. Patachan can make a difference hes just always hurt.
By the end of the year, i think Joyner will be getting some reps too

People are sleeping on Joyner, kid was the top DE in Dade County last year. He may not get many reps tonight but he will starting next week. Kid will be a stud.

Advertisement
People are sleeping on Joyner, kid was the top DE in Dade County last year. He may not get many reps tonight but he will starting next week. Kid will be a stud.
everyone forgets we flipped him from fsu. they only care about the kids we dont get. hes a stud

Last year we had Chad Thomas, Joe Jackson, Jon Garvin and Trent Harris w (DJax for the first half of the season)

This year it’s Joe Jackson, Jon Garvin, D Jackson, Greg Rousseau and Scott Patchan.

Which unit do you think is better?

Chad was good against the run, but always seemed a step slow on pass rush and would get close, but miss a lot of sacks.

Trent Harris had a non stop motor and made a lot of plays, but physically wasn’t that gifted.

I really feel that the progression of Jackson and Garvin will show up this year. Patchan is similar to Harris with his effort/motor. Rousseau could be a game changer with his length and athleticism. DJax will provide depth at SDE and be able to kick inside on obvious passing downs.

I think this unit will outplay last years and I can’t wait to watch it get unleashed tonight against LSU.

Chad Thomas was our highest drafted player for a reason, and it wasn't just "potential".
Additionally, I'm pretty sure Trent Harris quietly finished 4th in the ACC for sacks with 8.5 last year. (ESPN has him tied for 3rd with 9 sacks).

Demetrius was our most productive DL last year before the injury. Not sure where he’s at as far as recovery but he was off to a great start in a limited roll last year. Scary he’s probably our number 4 or even 5 pass rusher this year.

Should be no drop off from McIntosh to Willis, maybe even a little better all around. Just worried about who is going to be that space eater that Norton was. Other than that it should be better than last year

Advertisement
I heard some NFL analyst on the radio the other day saying DEs are becoming less important (and paid less), and pass rushing DTs more important (and paid more) bc QBs get the ball out so fast that the ends are neutralized. Willis has a chance to earn some money this year.

That and teams carry more DE’s than DT’s so by proxy if you’re spreading your salary cap as wide as possible, having pass rushing DT’s impacts the game more so I can see his analysis becoming true.

ill take last years unit. More well rounded. Good compliments to each other as well.

All depends on Pat Bethel. I think Bethel's mediocre on the real. And he's too small to be a Nose Tackle. Ford must really be not that good because his body is perfect for it.

I expect Nesta to be starting by week 5

Advertisement
As good or better on the outside. The DT is the biggest unknown on the team this year. If Willis is more than a GT-AA, that’s great. But he’s one (unproven) guy. The other guys in the rotation are question marks as well. Today is going to be reallllllllly interesting. You know LSU is going to try to run it up the middle. Here we go.

DTs will determine our fate. If Willis can’t play the game of his life under these circumstances he goes nowhere in draft. This game is his chance. I expect that pair of freshmen beast to give us a glimpse of Christmas Past and Future. Too young to carry the load but they can deliver a ton of pain to announce their arrival.

I just got back from Cuba and will forego my usual bourbon tonight to put hurt on some of the rum I brought back. Tonight is big boy pants time. If we show up in them, a lot teams use to being in the playoffs will know there will be only two slots open this year cause Bama and us are going.

The only reason why I can see Willis being pulled early on is because he missed a whole season. He may not have the stamina to play many downs every series.
Let's see if he has the stamina.

He practiced all year last year and this off season. No excuse to be warn out.

Why does everyone say Trent wasn’t physically gifted? His first step was as good as we’ve had since Oliver Vernon. Somehow that narrative got legs and people ran with it.

These are Trent’s numbers - he was a great player, just not a physical freak like the guys we have now are. If those guys put in the work they have a higher ceiling.

Attachments

• 86566E95-69F6-433C-98A3-B964E9227D4A.png
    86566E95-69F6-433C-98A3-B964E9227D4A.png
    188.4 KB · Views: 7
These are Trent’s numbers - he was a great player, just not a physical freak like the guys we have now are. If those guys put in the work they have a higher ceiling.
Fair enough. They aren’t good measurables.

I just never saw physical limitations affect him on the field. He was our most consistently best DL, IMO.

Advertisement
Back