Defensive Line

sstcane

Sophomore
Premium
Last year we had Chad Thomas, Joe Jackson, Jon Garvin and Trent Harris w (DJax for the first half of the season)

This year it’s Joe Jackson, Jon Garvin, D Jackson, Greg Rousseau and Scott Patchan.

Which unit do you think is better?

Chad was good against the run, but always seemed a step slow on pass rush and would get close, but miss a lot of sacks.

Trent Harris had a non stop motor and made a lot of plays, but physically wasn’t that gifted.

I really feel that the progression of Jackson and Garvin will show up this year. Patchan is similar to Harris with his effort/motor. Rousseau could be a game changer with his length and athleticism. DJax will provide depth at SDE and be able to kick inside on obvious passing downs.

I think this unit will outplay last years and I can’t wait to watch it get unleashed tonight against LSU.

Advertisement
Thomas and Trent were solid but opposing OL lineman do now want to play against our Freaks of nature like Garvin and Rousseau.
Add in a healthy Patchan and I think this season does have the potential to be better than last. They just have to go out there and prove it on the field.

Last year's unit with the 2 guys who went pro early stupidly was better and should be better. Doesnt mean we dont have a top 10 DL this year as well though.

Rousseau is the biggest wildcard for me, if he is as good as advertised this unit will be better

im interested to see the jump garvin makes. him and jj are very intimidating together.
I think Toolbox will be missed. Patachan can make a difference hes just always hurt.
By the end of the year, i think Joyner will be getting some reps too

Advertisement
If Rousseau plays against opponents the way he has against our OTs, everyone is in for a "wtf was that?"

The 3 holdovers from last year - JJax, Garvin and DJax should be improved. So now you’re talking offsetting the losses of Chad and Trent.

So it comes down to our two wildcards - Patch and Rousseau. If these two feast we will be much better than last year.

As good or better on the outside. The DT is the biggest unknown on the team this year. If Willis is more than a GT-AA, that’s great. But he’s one (unproven) guy. The other guys in the rotation are question marks as well. Today is going to be reallllllllly interesting. You know LSU is going to try to run it up the middle. Here we go.

I don't think there's any question that this year's group is superior to last year's. Offseason reports say that Garvin has matured, gotten bigger, stronger and better. The tiny bit Patchan was in against FSWHO 2 years ago, showed that he is probably a gamer, JJ would be a slam dunk preseason All conference if he weren't in the ACC (read: Clemp'sson), DJACK is a solid playmaker and older leader and then there's Da Freak. Kind of like the 8 foot guy in 300 who finally has his chains cut off and he starts ripping through Spartans - that's Rousseau!

Yeah, they're better.

Advertisement
This years group is a much better at pass rushing but against the run, I’m not so sure yet.

This years group is a much better at pass rushing but against the run, I’m not so sure yet.

As always, we shall see, BUT, there have been reports out of camp that Simpson has made run support more of a focus than Kul did, so hopefully, we'll be improved there.

Last year we had Chad Thomas, Joe Jackson, Jon Garvin and Trent Harris w (DJax for the first half of the season)

This year it’s Joe Jackson, Jon Garvin, D Jackson, Greg Rousseau and Scott Patchan.

Which unit do you think is better?

Chad was good against the run, but always seemed a step slow on pass rush and would get close, but miss a lot of sacks.

Trent Harris had a non stop motor and made a lot of plays, but physically wasn’t that gifted.

I really feel that the progression of Jackson and Garvin will show up this year. Patchan is similar to Harris with his effort/motor. Rousseau could be a game changer with his length and athleticism. DJax will provide depth at SDE and be able to kick inside on obvious passing downs.

I think this unit will outplay last years and I can’t wait to watch it get unleashed tonight against LSU.
I felt similarly

Advertisement

This is my thought. Pass rush will be much improved. I think our DEs will be slightly downgraded against the run from last year.

Trent and Chad were beasts at setting the edge.

Depends if Coach Simpson has these kids playing like a Tiger at a buffet. I seen Simpson coach drills and I think he's gonna have these boys ready to kill. Kul was a great teacher, but Simpson is an animal.

This is my thought. Pass rush will be much improved. I think our DEs will be slightly downgraded against the run from last year.

Trent and Chad were beasts at setting the edge.
I think we really missed DJax the second half of the season. HE could help us defending the run assuming he is healthy.

Also we have to see if Simpson makes a difference. Kool's DLs have never really been known to be great at stopping the run.

Advertisement
One things for sure, its game day now. I know this much, we got more natural pass rushers starting this year that are being taught at the same time how to stop the run better. So its going to be interesting to see how that blend comes together. I expect lsu to run several screens and draw plays.

But the beautiful part about this game, we dont have to worry about coach richt being conservative on offense, he could careless who's secondary we playing against, we going deep, early and often, he gone look for the home run over and over again, WHY, cause that's South Florida football, almost nothing better than seeing somebody get bombed, we do that early and get up 7 to nothing early, its going to be fun.

If main man patchan stays healthy, that natural spin move he has, he's a heat seeking missle, he's one of the best pass rushers we have, like weldon, people keep over looking him.

I think we really missed DJax the second half of the season. HE could help us defending the run assuming he is healthy.

Also we have to see if Simpson makes a difference. Kool's DLs have never really been known to be great at stopping the run.

Expect to see DJax a lot at DT in passing downs.

Expect to see DJax a lot at DT in passing downs.
I am a big fan of the "NASCAR"4 DE package in obvious passing downs.

Although with some of the speedy DTs we have like Willis and Silvera I could see it being used less and less as the season goes on.

I am a big fan of the "NASCAR"4 DE package in obvious passing downs.

Although with some of the speedy DTs we have like Willis and Silvera I could see it being used less and less as the season goes on.

I don't see the need to replace Willis with anyone. Willis with DJax is a deadly pass rush DT combo.

Advertisement
Back